Justify vs AP at stud

Treve

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Japan does geld but not always. And it's not like our gelding choices are always judicious in the long run (there are a few famous geldings I think qualify for the 'what if'... line of thinking past and present :D ). I don't think gelding is the ideal approach in a breed where we have concerns about bottlenecking etc. Each time you remove an individual from the gene pool it can be a serious loss of DNA when the gene pool is limited to begin with.

However Japan makes it work by making the money you can earn in purses more appealing that money you can earn in the breeding shed. We can either increase purses across the board, or maybe lay down strict rules about stud fees. I think generally the market does a good job of regulating itself (if a fee is too steep for breeders to tolerate they just don't visit that stud) so the solution imo lies in making racing longer more appealing. The Pegasus I think is a nudge in the right direction. Sponsoring series for older horses or carding new races for olders with the potential of becoming graded stakes and perhaps down the line even G1s. Bump the purses up of distance races to make them a more appealing goal towards which horses should work (and there's no cutting corners with those, it requires a minimum amount of fitness and conditioning that can only come with time and some cases, age).

But I know, resources are limited, we can only support so many large purses here...
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Miss Woodford

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If you like all-geldings-all-the-time racing, you should love the races in Hong Kong.
Japan, on the other hand, doesn't seem to geld any of its horses, no matter how rank or 'quirky' they are on the track. :shock: :lol:
I kind of like our more middle-of-the-road approach to the Ultimate Equipment Change. ;)
Japan's stallions don't often retire after their 3yo season. Even Triple Crown winners - Deep Impact raced at 4 and Orfevre raced at 5.

Several major American races had periods where geldings were barred from racing, namely the Preakness (1920-1934) and Belmont (1919-1956; most stakes in NY seem to have had this condition through these years). The Arc de Triomphe, of course, still does not allow them, which was really unfortunate for Cirrus des Aigles.
Treve

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 am

I think Japan's Classics or some of them are also not open to geldings if I'm not mistaken and they've got several important races on the calendar doing the same. I believe the only graded stakes for 2yos in the UK and Europe also tend to be non-geldings only.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder