What does "stamp his get" mean?

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Rainyday » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:21 pm

In the case of Fair Play, it's not really just the neck--it's the whole front end. Comes with that prominent wither and shoulder.

Still pops up sometimes. Look at Da'Tara, who is a direct male line descendant of Fair Play: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ed/66/76/ed66 ... horses.jpg
Rainyday
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Miss Woodford » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:04 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Classic example is the Fair Play neck- thick, upright and upside-down.


Nice, helpful post. Question...what does upside-down mean?

The bulk of the musculature and "weight" of the neck is on the underside instead of the crest, and the neck . Can be used interchangeably with the term "ewe neck" but they are slightly different.
Image
Rainyday wrote:In the case of Fair Play, it's not really just the neck--it's the whole front end. Comes with that prominent wither and shoulder.

Still pops up sometimes. Look at Da'Tara, who is a direct male line descendant of Fair Play: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ed/66/76/ed66 ... horses.jpg

Tiznow didn't have it that noticeably but some of his offspring sure do.

Bullsbay
Image

Slew's Tizzy
Image
User avatar
Miss Woodford
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Wonderful discussion. Thank you everyone. One reason I posed this question about stamping get aside from the fact that it has been a hard concept for me to fully understand, is that I like Gun Runner. I wish him well at stud, but don't see much resemblance between him and either his sire, Candy Ride, or dam, Quiet Giant, and wondered how that might affect his stud career if at all.

Quiet Giant
Image

Candy Ride
Image

Gun Runner
Image
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Miss Woodford » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Quiet Giant
Image

Off topic, but are those are the craziest Bend Or spots (?) I've ever seen.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby firehorse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Wonderful discussion. Thank you everyone. One reason I posed this question about stamping get aside from the fact that it has been a hard concept for me to fully understand, is that I like Gun Runner. I wish him well at stud, but don't see much resemblance between him and either his sire, Candy Ride, or dam, Quiet Giant, and wondered how that might affect his stud career if at all.

Quiet Giant
Image

Candy Ride
Image

Gun Runner
Image


Looks like his mom to me.
firehorse
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Treve » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 am

Usually "stamping" the get (at least in other breeds and disciplines) refers to the conformation and/or biomechanics, moreso than colour or pigment. And when you say a stallion or a mare stamps their get usually you mean that they produce a good chunk of their offspring that resembles them or carries a distinctive characteristic that is "unmistakably X". That doesn't mean they can't/don't produce offspring who won't be like that. But it's the difference between a stallion that produces offspring with a lot of common characteristics, vs a stallion that produces horses all over the map. For example Cairo Prince yearlings were very well received because from what I've heard he's passing on good conformation and good biomechanics consistently. If he continues to "breed true" one could say he is stamping his get.

I see both of his parents in Gun Runner, but he does look more like mom conformationally. She's super flashy with her bend'or spots I gotta say.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
 
Posts: 3705
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 am

Treve wrote:Usually "stamping" the get (at least in other breeds and disciplines) refers to the conformation and/or biomechanics, moreso than colour or pigment. And when you say a stallion or a mare stamps their get usually you mean that they produce a good chunk of their offspring that resembles them or carries a distinctive characteristic that is "unmistakably X".


Thanks Treve, focusing on conformation/biomechanics helps me conceptualize the term. Gun Runner is smallish and carries his head low like A.P. Indy. Yet he has zero A.P. Indy in his pedigree and neither Candy Ride nor Quiet Giant have that characteristic. It's such an interesting topic. :)
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby genuinerizk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:46 am

It is so neat to see these pictures. Thank you to all for posting them. Wonder how much Gun Runner will change appearance-wise when he becomes less race- fit looking, and becomes more "studdy" looking? I'm wondering if he will start to look more like dad?
I have a Rock Hard Ten mare, who looks just like her dad. I have been able to recognize a lot of Rock Hard Tens right away because he seems to really stamp them.
genuinerizk
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am

Speaking of Northern Dancer, his son Danzig, who looks quite a lot like him, stamped a good number of his sons, I think.

Danzig
Image

War Front
Image

Hard Spun (who has a prettier head than most Danzigs, I think)
Image

Danehill (who honestly looks more like Northern Dancer)
Image

Green Desert
Image

War Chant
Image

Polish Numbers
Image

Exchange Rate
Image

Dayjur
Image

Chief's Crown
Image

Pine Bluff
Image

Danzig Connection
Image

Bianconi
Image
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: What does "stamp his get" mean?

Postby Katewerk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:33 pm

How different are these in type than the photos from Japan that Tachyon shares? Holy cow.
User avatar
Katewerk
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests