Lack of top outcross sires

Re: Lack of top outcross sires

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:05 pm

halo wrote:I dont know if its by chance or not that you never heard of Country Life. I would call it ignorance. Its quite a shame that being so interested in thoughbreds, you have chosen to total close your eyes to any history of the breed....even close history. Because if you didnt, you would be privy to some of the most fascinating stories ever told.

What about your overly contemptous comments in this thread would inspire a passion for learning, exactly?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Allspice » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:26 pm

TBird wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, or derail the thread, but I too read your initial comments about Country Life as derrogatory--especially in light of their accomplishments in their regional market and beyond. The fact that someone isn't aware of a farm's existence doesn't make it either small or unimportant. Nor in this case does it detract from a stallion's chances of succeeding. There are many successful stallions who didn't make their start in Kentucky and Country Life makes a very good launching pad.

Agreed.
I knew they have been in business a long time, I wasn't aware of how long though. I first heard of them over a decade ago when they still had Allen's Prospect, Citidancer, Carnivalay and Malibu Moon, but they've been around since the '30s. They stood Saggy, aka "that horse that beat Citation when he was three" and the sire of Carry Back. I wasn't aware they had such a profound impact on the breed either. They bred Raise You, the dam of Raise a Native. So they are one of the ones to thank for Mr. Prospector. Ironic, considering what this thread is about. XD

EDIT: Oh, while we are on the topic of successful stallions who didn't start in Kentucky...Mr. Prospector was one of them. He started in Florida. Actually, the other stallion this thread is about, Northern Dancer, never stood in Kentucky. He stood in Canada and then was moved to...the state Country Life operates out of. Maryland.
Allspice

Postby Pronzini » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 am

racingfan wrote:
On another note, I strongly believe that people don't make stallions…stallions make themselves.

And I strongly believe that the opposite is true. Almost without exception, the stallions which seemingly come out of nowhere had proactive owners/managers ready to do the heavy lifting of investing in mares and racing their own if necessary. Kitten's Joy is a good example currently as is the regional stallion Square Eddie. There are others I can think of not the least of which were Storm Cat and Danzig. The stallions that tend to end up overseas are the ones bred to 100 plus outside mares until the music stops commercially and the last thing sold is the horse himself.
Pronzini

Postby racingfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Pronz..we will have to agree to disagree!!!

The list of top stallions who started off Regionally and bred crap mares, yet, still bred their way to KY will be too great to list. They were not "made" by anyone investing anything in them..which is why they started off breeding shit mares for pennies on the dollar. Think Mr Prospector, Kris S, Dynaformer, I can't possibly list them all.

Instead, you have tons of stallions that are "supported" by investors at Big Farms and guess what….they are out of KY, sold, or exported within years. That is the RULE not the exception. You know why….just because you breed a stallion to the best mares on the planet does not mean he will sire anything quality. Why? Because, stallions make themselves. They either have it or they don't and all the wishing and "mare management in the world" won't change that.
racingfan

Postby Allspice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:18 pm

racingfan wrote:Pronz..we will have to agree to disagree!!!

The list of top stallions who started off Regionally and bred crap mares, yet, still bred their way to KY will be too great to list. They were not "made" by anyone investing anything in them..which is why they started off breeding shit mares for pennies on the dollar. Think Mr Prospector, Kris S, Dynaformer, I can't possibly list them all.

Instead, you have tons of stallions that are "supported" by investors at Big Farms and guess what….they are out of KY, sold, or exported within years. That is the RULE not the exception. You know why….just because you breed a stallion to the best mares on the planet does not mean he will sire anything quality. Why? Because, stallions make themselves. They either have it or they don't and all the wishing and "mare management in the world" won't change that.

I think it's both. You can't make a stallion be something he's not, but they do need support to show how good they are. Sometimes it's up to the owner to prove he's worth breeding to, breeding their own mares to him and racing the foals. In that case, it is the owner making the stallion purely because very few others, if any at all, would give him a chance.
Allspice

Previous

Return to Breeding & Sales