2017 Keeneland November Sale

Horsebagger
Posts: 1924
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am

Alywow wrote:Hip #495 (Empire City (JPN) by Empire Maker) is in foal to American Pharoah making the resulting foal 3 X 3 Empire Maker.

....3 x 2 to Empire Maker?
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9541
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm

So, that would mean that Enable is 3 x 2 to Sadler's Wells?
It's pretty incredible how much influence SW has had on the Thoroughbred. He sired Galileo, who has given us more runners than I can count, including successful young stallions like Frankel and Nathanial. Montjeu gave us Pour Moi and Camelot...although his best son may have been the late St Nicholas Abbey. :(
Here in The Colonies, SW's handsome grey son El Prado's legacy as a sire of sires has left us sons like Medaglia d'Oro, Kitten's Joy, Artie Schiller and Paddy O'Prado.
THAT is a legacy.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3829
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Hill 'n' Dale will be Kitten's Joy's new home.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ki ... ll-n-dale/
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:19 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:So, that would mean that Enable is 3 x 2 to Sadler's Wells?
It's pretty incredible how much influence SW has had on the Thoroughbred. He sired Galileo, who has given us more runners than I can count, including successful young stallions like Frankel and Nathanial. Montjeu gave us Pour Moi and Camelot...although his best son may have been the late St Nicholas Abbey. :(
Here in The Colonies, SW's handsome grey son El Prado's legacy as a sire of sires has left us sons like Medaglia d'Oro, Kitten's Joy, Artie Schiller and Paddy O'Prado.
THAT is a legacy.

Forget Sadler's Wells, look at how much Urban Sea impacted the first half of your paragraph! She has to be the best broodmare of all time.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Ioya Two
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 pm
Location: Ohio

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Hip 3 has a crazy page. Bred to three different stallions, last cover date of August 10th? Why not just leave her open, way way too late of a service date.
Pulpit 1994-2012
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Ioya Two wrote:Hip 3 has a crazy page. Bred to three different stallions, last cover date of August 10th? Why not just leave her open, way way too late of a service date.
Is that considered on SH time at that point?
neighhey
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm

bare it all wrote:
Ioya Two wrote:Hip 3 has a crazy page. Bred to three different stallions, last cover date of August 10th? Why not just leave her open, way way too late of a service date.
Is that considered on SH time at that point?
It would be for Argentina, at least, as the foaling season begins July 1. Other Southern Hemisphere locales, like Australia, have August 1 as the birthday cutoff.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4156
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 pm

neighhey wrote:
bare it all wrote:
Ioya Two wrote:Hip 3 has a crazy page. Bred to three different stallions, last cover date of August 10th? Why not just leave her open, way way too late of a service date.
Is that considered on SH time at that point?
It would be for Argentina, at least, as the foaling season begins July 1. Other Southern Hemisphere locales, like Australia, have August 1 as the birthday cutoff.
If I'm not mistaken Australia does accept foals born up to a month early depending on when the mare was bred.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
neighhey
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Treve wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Australia does accept foals born up to a month early depending on when the mare was bred.
I'm much more familiar with racing in Argentina than Australia, so I will defer to your superior knowledge! :)
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4156
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 am

neighhey wrote:
Treve wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Australia does accept foals born up to a month early depending on when the mare was bred.
I'm much more familiar with racing in Argentina than Australia, so I will defer to your superior knowledge! :)
Ahaha my knowledge is in no way superior, I just think someone posted this information recently.
In fact I just googled it:
The official age of a horse is reckoned from the first day of August next
after its birth, when it becomes a yearling (i.e. it is one year old and
commences its second official year of life). However there are two
exceptions: -
i. A horse 31 days old or less on 1 August will not be required
to become a yearling on that day, provided the Australian
Stud Book is satisfied it was born to a mare whose first
covering in Australia was restricted to the official covering
season, 1 September to 31 May.
It will increase its age by
one year each 1 August thereafter;

ii. A horse born on or after 1 August to a mare whose first
covering in Australia was in June, July or August
, (i.e. was
not restricted to the official covering season), will be
deemed to be one year old (i.e. become a yearling) on
the day it was born. The horse will become a two year old
on 1 August, which follows one month after the end of the
foaling season in which it was born. It will increase its age
by one year each 1 August thereafter
So it looks like this foal wouldn't qualify :?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm

That's so.... weird. It's not like she's some no-name mare with a blank page covered by a backyard sire, either. I'd really, really like to know the back story on that cover if someone happens to get over there.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2708
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:21 pm

bare it all wrote:That's so.... weird. It's not like she's some no-name mare with a blank page covered by a backyard sire, either. I'd really, really like to know the back story on that cover if someone happens to get over there.
Does someone even bid on her? You get a foal you have to race in Argentina and then you lose the opportunity to breed her next year if you want her to stay in the US.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4156
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 pm

Flanders wrote:
bare it all wrote:That's so.... weird. It's not like she's some no-name mare with a blank page covered by a backyard sire, either. I'd really, really like to know the back story on that cover if someone happens to get over there.
Does someone even bid on her? You get a foal you have to race in Argentina and then you lose the opportunity to breed her next year if you want her to stay in the US.
Perhaps an opportunity for someone building their way up in the breeding game but that has a more limited budget.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 pm

I'll take Hip #322 just because his dam Saxet Heights was an old favorite of mine.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am

Treve wrote:Perhaps an opportunity for someone building their way up in the breeding game but that has a more limited budget.
Ugh, you'd lose a year of breeding on her with her dropping that July '18 foal and couldn't breed her until 2019 - unless you breed her on southern time. What would you do with the foal anyway? Send it south to a sale or race it there? Race it at 3 or 4 in the US and hope for the best?

I'm SO intrigued by this. :lol:
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4156
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:52 pm

bare it all wrote:
Treve wrote:Perhaps an opportunity for someone building their way up in the breeding game but that has a more limited budget.
Ugh, you'd lose a year of breeding on her with her dropping that July '18 foal and couldn't breed her until 2019 - unless you breed her on southern time. What would you do with the foal anyway? Send it south to a sale or race it there? Race it at 3 or 4 in the US and hope for the best?

I'm SO intrigued by this. :lol:
Worth the wait, for someone who might not otherwise have the opportunity to get their hands on a mare like that, if she gets snubbed by the big guns.
I'd hope the foal is a filly first and foremost. Maybe I'd send her to race in Argentina or South Africa, or maybe I don't race her at all. Now, I've hopefully got two nice mares in the barn to keep building my program. ;)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2708
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 pm

I guess they could just abort the foal. Which might be worth it if they wanted to keep the mare in the US.
TBird
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 am

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Flanders wrote:I guess they could just abort the foal. Which might be worth it if they wanted to keep the mare in the US.
I can't imagine someone aborting an Into Mischief foal--even one with an unfortunate birth date.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4720
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Irish stakes winner Twirl supplemented to #KeeNov
Twirl, a stakes-winning daughter of leading sire Galileo and a full sister to Irish and French highweight Misty For Me, dam of multiple Group 1 winners Roly Poly and U S Navy Flag, has been supplemented to Keeneland’s 2017 November Breeding Stock Sale, which begins Nov. 7.

Consigned by Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency, agent, Twirl will be offered in foal to Curlin.

“Twirl represents a unique opportunity to purchase a stakes-winning, graded-quality mare by the world’s leading sire, Galileo, from arguably the most prolific current pedigree in the world,” Hill ‘n’ Dale President John G. Sikura said. “Twirl is a full sister to champion Ballydoyle and to Misty For Me, who is the dam this year of three-time Group 1 winner Roly Poly and U S Navy Flag, recent winner of the Group 1 Middle Park and Dewhurst Stakes. Twirl produced a beautiful filly by Tapit in 2017 and is foal to leading sire Curlin. I don’t think there will be another mare presented to auction anywhere with this much quality and current relevance in Group 1 racing. She is a jewel.”

Twirl displayed her durability during four seasons of racing in Ireland, England and the U.S., winning the Irish Stallion Farms E.B.F. Hurry Harriet Stakes at Gowran Park and placing second in the Group 3 Lodge Park Stud E.B.F. Park Express at the Curragh and Group 3 Tattersalls Musidora at York.

Out of the Storm Cat mare Butterfly Cove, a half-sister to European champion juvenile Fasliyev, Twirl comes from an active family represented by recent multiple Group 1 winners Roly Poly and U S Navy Flag. She is a full sister to their dam, Misty For Me, a highweight and Group 1 winner in Ireland and France who also finished third in the 2011 Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf at Churchill Downs.
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39198-irish ... -to-keenov
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9541
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

They chose to breed this mare to Curlin?
That just seems like...an odd choice? :? Does he 'nick' AAA+ with her or something?
Have we seen any Curlin foals out of Galileo mares yet, so we have an idea how His Golden Dirt Burlyness matches with a Lady Grass Goddess? :P
Post Reply