California Chrome's dam to sell

California Chrome's dam to sell

Postby oldgraymare » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Perry Martin will be selling Love The Chase at FT in Nov. He needs cash to buy mares for CC. What does everyone think of this?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... t-november
oldgraymare

Re: California Chrome's dam to sell

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 pm

It makes financial sense. Not very sentimental, but Martin has never seemed like a very sentimental sort. :roll:
Since the odds are stacked against Love the Chase reproducing a horse of 'Chrome's caliber, it's logical to use proceeds from her sale to acquire mares to breed to CC. Pretty sure that someone will want to try the genetics lottery with a mare who produced a horse as good as 'Chrome...and it doesn't hurt that she's in foal to Tapit. :P
Doesn't Martin (or a partnership with Coburn?) still own a full sister to 'Chrome? If so, they still have a young prospective broodmare with Love the Chase's genetics.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BlindLucky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Uh oh, cue the crazies and the "omg so greedy, she's going to sell to Japan and die omg, greed, blah blah" stuff :roll:

Coburn owns a full sister (R Sunday Surprise), Martin owns a full sister (Hope's Love), and there's also a full brother (Faversham), a yearling colt, that one of them, or maybe both of them, still owns.

ETA: I couldn't resist, I looked. The Bring Chrome Home Facebook page doesn't disappoint! This article is already posted and the words "greed", "Japan", and "the Coburns should buy her" were used multiple times :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:25 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Uh oh, cue the crazies and the "omg so greedy, she's going to sell to Japan and die omg, greed, blah blah" stuff :roll:

Coburn owns a full sister (R Sunday Surprise), Martin owns a full sister (Hope's Love), and there's also a full brother (Faversham), a yearling colt, that one of them, or maybe both of them, still owns.

ETA: I couldn't resist, I looked. The Bring Chrome Home Facebook page doesn't disappoint! This article is already posted and the words "greed", "Japan", and "the Coburns should buy her" were used multiple times :lol:

She will make delicious sushi.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:49 pm

Horse is red meat, so wouldn't that be 'she'll make delicious steak tartare?' :P
I know, I know....I shouldn't tease the "Chromies."
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Izvestia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Breeding to Tapit makes sense - he's the top North American stallion, and it's the same cross as Lucky Pulpit!
I'm guessing she'd sell for $2-3 million - there is no way she produces another Chrome.
Izvestia

Postby Flanders » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18 am

I bet he puts a huge reserve on her and she's a RNA.
Flanders

Postby Treve » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:23 am

I don't think she breaks 2 million tbh. Ie oils T be surprised if she RNAs then he attempts a private sale.
I believe both R Sunday Surprise and Hope's Love have failed to win thus far. (Unlike say, Littleprincessemma who currently has produced winners from all of her starters). Granted Sunday has only had one try and she hit the board but Hope has hit the board only once in 5 tries. Not very encouraging. Strike one.
She herself accomplished nothing of note on the track. She doesn't have exactly hard-hitting parents from a breeding point of view. Strike two.

That being said I actually do think she has a very rich interesting pedigree if you go a little further up. With all that Northern Dancer inbreeding, the Ribot, and the many other UK/Ire/Euro horses she might be able to produce something interesting on the turf, maybe.

And they are smart about the timing since all eyes are on Chrome at the moment.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby BlindLucky » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Actually the younger filly, R Sunday Surprise, has two starts, a 3rd in her debut and a 5th more recently. She's entered to run tomorrow at Del Mar.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Retrospectiv » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Flanders wrote:I bet he puts a huge reserve on her and she's a RNA.

Absolutely. I'd bet money on that one. Small chance of private sale after she runs through as an RNA, with no price disclosed :D
She's mostly worth the Tapit foal she's carrying, and most of those are better bred.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Next

Return to Breeding & Sales