2015 Names

User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4265
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 am

Flanders wrote:
Treve wrote:Was Wonder Woman/Diana Prince taken?
Both of those names would be considered copyrighted material and not be allowed to be used. The only way you could get around it is if you knew a real person named Diana Prince and she gave you written permission to use her name.
According to pedigreequery there have been 10 horses named Wonder Woman with the earliest being in 1936 and the most recent being 2013.
None named Diana Prince, though.

For fun I checked, there's likewise two dozens of Batmans (only one Bruce Wayne from 2014) and a similar number of Supermans (5 Clark Kents including two from 2011 but one is from USA and one from Turkey). I also tried a bunch of disney characters/movies (cause they're notoriously draconian about copyright in a way DC isn't) and there were horses for all including some as recent as the early 2000s. I'm not sure copyright is an issue - I thought only names of real people were (unless express written permission).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 pm

mariasmon wrote:
mariasmon wrote:They haven't submitted a name yet, but I noticed the 2015 Shanghai Bobby out of Opulence (Giant's Causeway/Rags to Riches) now has a gelding notation in his file. I can about guarantee, in keeping with Coolmore norms, he's not going to get a good name if he's already been gelded.
"The Bobby" has been submitted for him. Why do they hate him so much? :lol:
Hold up, it's now approved. Coolmore has all the power.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am

Treve wrote:
Flanders wrote:
Treve wrote:Was Wonder Woman/Diana Prince taken?
Both of those names would be considered copyrighted material and not be allowed to be used. The only way you could get around it is if you knew a real person named Diana Prince and she gave you written permission to use her name.
According to pedigreequery there have been 10 horses named Wonder Woman with the earliest being in 1936 and the most recent being 2013.
None named Diana Prince, though.

For fun I checked, there's likewise two dozens of Batmans (only one Bruce Wayne from 2014) and a similar number of Supermans (5 Clark Kents including two from 2011 but one is from USA and one from Turkey). I also tried a bunch of disney characters/movies (cause they're notoriously draconian about copyright in a way DC isn't) and there were horses for all including some as recent as the early 2000s. I'm not sure copyright is an issue - I thought only names of real people were (unless express written permission).
The 1999 Wonder Woman was bred by Joseph Allen, and out of Wandering Star, a graded stakes winner.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Happy Hoofer - f. Distorted Humor x Oatsee
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:28 pm

mariasmon wrote:Happy Hoofer - f. Distorted Humor x Oatsee
Good grief. I heard the first name they submitted was Dirt in the Skirt, presumably from A League of Their Own. Can't see the "Humor" in either name for this well-bred little one.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
mariasmon wrote:Happy Hoofer - f. Distorted Humor x Oatsee
Good grief. I heard the first name they submitted was Dirt in the Skirt, presumably from A League of Their Own. Can't see the "Humor" in either name for this well-bred little one.
I was glad to see Dirt in the Skirt was rejected, but then this one came and I thought Dirt in the Skirt sounded a little better :roll:
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
mariasmon wrote:Happy Hoofer - f. Distorted Humor x Oatsee
Good grief. I heard the first name they submitted was Dirt in the Skirt, presumably from A League of Their Own. Can't see the "Humor" in either name for this well-bred little one.
I was glad to see Dirt in the Skirt was rejected, but then this one came and I thought Dirt in the Skirt sounded a little better :roll:
LOL, yeah I guess you're right!
firehorse
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
mariasmon wrote:Happy Hoofer - f. Distorted Humor x Oatsee
Good grief. I heard the first name they submitted was Dirt in the Skirt, presumably from A League of Their Own. Can't see the "Humor" in either name for this well-bred little one.
Given that you only need to change one letter to get 'Happy Hooker', I doubt they were referencing baseball with 'Dirt in the Skirt'. They're both wretched names for a filly.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

Alaflaak - f. War Front x Lahudood (GB)
Anna's Angel - f. Bodemeister x Irish Cherry (1/2 to Spun Sugar, Daaher)

Cheery Oats - f. Distorted Humor x Oatsee

Dancing Brave Bear - f. Street Cry x Baghdaria
Dreamers and Me - f. Mission Impazible x Genisa (2nd dam is Tizdubai)

First Warrior - c. War Front x First Passage

Kentucky Club - c. Oxbow x Indiz (2nd dam is Zaftig)

Maya Malibu - f. Malibu Moon x Island Sand

Piocho - c. Malibu Moon x Private Gift (dam is 1/2 to Secret Status)
Principe Guilherme - c. Tapit x Aubby K

Smashing Serena - f. Violence x Serena's Sister

Touch of Grace - f. Tiznow x Sealy Hill
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:25 am

^^Fortunately, someone had the sense to call and cancel the name "Happy Hoofer" for the Oatsee filly.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 pm

mariasmon wrote:^^Fortunately, someone had the sense to call and cancel the name "Happy Hoofer" for the Oatsee filly.
Glad for that! Cheery Oats may not win "horse name of the year," but MUCH better than Happy Hoofer.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:16 pm

He finally has a name and his first workout.

Line of Departure (2-Year-Old Colt)
Your comments for this horse were: 2015 Tapit - Hooh Why by Cloud Hopping
Date: August 21, 2017
Track: BELMONT PARK
Distance: Three Furlongs
Time: 37:55 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Rank: 14/22
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am

Dothraki Sea - f. Union Rags x Mini Chat (3/4 to Dixie Chatter)
Fitz Grant - c. Misremembered x Tough Tiz's Sis
Miminegash - f. Paynter x Holy Blitz (3/4 to Judy the Beauty)
Pearl Wedding - f. Tapit x Above Heaven (2nd dam is Lady Joanne)
R H Smoakem - c. Mineshaft x Smokey Glacken
Sweet Sting - c. Awesome Again x Perfect Sting
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Farofa - f. Tiznow x Pure Clan
Hot Cash - f. Ghostzapper x Collect the Cash
Mandy's Grace - f. Bellamy Road x Magicalmysterycat
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Figarella's Queen - f. Medaglia d'Oro x Nereid
My Favorite Gift - f. Tapit x Downthedustyroad
Power of Attorney - c. Distorted Humor x Potesta
Safwah - f. Medaglia d'Oro x Above Perfection (1/2 to Always Dreaming, Hot Dixie Chick)
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Osare - f. Medaglia d'Oro x Bubbler (1/2 to Arrogate)
Point to Remember - c. Point of Entry x Miss Isella
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Ancienne Ville (JPN) - f. Deep Impact x Reve de Fille (2nd dam is Bosra Sham)
Bright Eyed (IRE) - Galileo x Christmas Kid
Hassler (IRE) - f. War Front x Turbulent Descent
Maggy's Tribute - f. Smart Strike x Maggy Hawk (1/2 to Afleet Alex)
Night Gem - f. Tapit x Evening Jewel
Pure Elegance (IRE) - f. Galileo x Society Selection
Sergei (JPN) - c. Deep Impact x My Jen
Stellar Impact (JPN) - f. Deep Impact x Topliner (1/2 to Star Billing)
Strumming (IRE) - f. Camelot x Song to Remember (1/2 to Magnificent Song)
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3851
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Hanalei Moon - f. Malibu Moon x Authenticity
La Titina - f. Distorted Humor x Ask the Moon
Mau the Great - c. Bodemeister x Ender's Valentine
Papa Joe - c. Point of Entry x Voodoo Dancer
Perfect Note - f. Elusive Quality x Music Note
Ravens Fifty Five - f. Aikenite x Rushen Heat (1/2 to Frank Conversation, dam is full to Golden Doc A, Unusual Suspect)
Show Cat - f. Oxbow x Catigo (dam is full to Aragorn)
Swash and Buckle - c. Bernardini x Hessonite
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:58 am

I've been following this guy - who remained unnamed - for many months. He had been working since August at the SLR training center and I was concerned about his welfare. It was very good to see a published workout for him today...and he also got a name. (Tabit was their first choice but was was rejected because it was similar to a name already in use, Thabit.)

Sweet Damsel will be 23 years old next year. I wonder if she'll be bred again. Her 2017 Pioneerof the Nile filly has been named Sweet Baby Girl after Viva La Vida was rejected. I'll add that to the 2017 Names thread.

Fightinirishtabit (2-Year-Old Colt)
Your comments for this horse were: 2015 C Tiznow-Sweet Damsel by Turkoman; full to Colonel John, Mr. Hot Stuff
Date: December 17, 2017
Track: DEL MAR
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.03:80 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Rank: 19/22
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:15 pm

I hope Fightinirishtabit is very successful. He has survived that terrible fire and I love his breeding.
Post Reply