War Emblem to Old Friends

Re: War Emblem to Old Friends

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:38 pm

The person who posted the info has recently visited Old Friends and posted a photo of War Emblem, off in a corner of his paddock. I am guessing that someone at the farm relayed the info to this visitor...but I have no idea whether that news is accurate.
Guess we'll find out eventually.
While a bit shocking, it actually could be a good thing for him in the long run. As a gelding, he could be turned out in a paddock with other horses, getting to live the natural life of a social, herd animal.
It may mellow the cranky boy, allowing him to finally enjoy the perks of being groomed, petted and fed peppermints. :D
BaroqueAgain1

Postby mariasmon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:33 pm

He's probably too old for gelding to change much about him. I imagine he'll continue to reside in his own paddock and continue to be the way he's always been.
mariasmon

Postby Northport » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Yeah, for a horse to be gelded that late - especially one as naturally mean as him - I wouldn't expect his personality to change at all. He's been turned out by himself his entire retired life, and he has been stabled away from male horses entirely since 2008. One of the articles on him said that he would attack mares if he didn't want to cover them. Gelding a young horse can usually take the edge off, but for a notoriously nasty 17 year old? It seems unlikely
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Izvestia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:23 am

Gelding them at this age is dangerous.
He would still keep his personality. Gelding doesn't take that away!
Izvestia

Postby oldgraymare » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:33 am

Maybe this info from the http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/quara ... llions.cfm website explains the problem.

"Days 8 to 12 – The penis and sheath are washed with Nolvasan scrub, and the penis is packed with antibiotic ointment. The stallions are washed and treated for 5 days."

I sure wouldn't want to be the groom/tech trying to pack Mr. Nasty with antibiotic ointment. :twisted:
oldgraymare

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Several strong grooms, twitch and/or lip chain, hobbles and lots of tranquilizer? :shock: :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Izvestia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:42 pm

This might settle it:

"Check out Barbara Livingston's photographs of Silver Charm and War Emblem on her website. War Emblem is settling in very nicely. He really likes his space and, believe me, he gets it. He's in the paddock previously occupied by Rapid Redux and Amazombie."

From Old Friends Blog:
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs18 ... 66524.html
Izvestia

Postby tachyon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 am

Here's a new video of Civil War(JPN) from ''Stallions in Japan 2016 (new release)''

http://www.jrha.or.jp/stallion_e/horse/?name=Civil_War
tachyon

Postby flytpthestars » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:35 am

he had been gelded.. Saw an article that was just posted
flytpthestars

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 pm

This one?
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... be-gelded/

I had to wonder about this: U.S. law requires that “even pensioned stallions being imported into the country must cover two mares twice to make sure they are not infected with, or a carrier of, Contagious Equine Metritis (CEM).”
What if a stallion has been pensioned because he is too old/frail/lame to actually mount a mare?
Maybe that rule is a good thing for some of those older studs in places like Japan. Might prevent trying to ship a horse, for whom such a long trip would be difficult, back "home" to the US.
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales