The rise of Sunday Silence

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby tachyon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:01 am

Will a dream come true finally?

I always respect Ray Paulick and his words.
I often visit the youtube video link I posted on the first page of this thread, too.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=298#p4700

Go Sunday Silence, go! :D

tachyon wrote:''Sunday Silence: Racing's Hard Luck Hero'' (Ray Paulick)

Sunday Silence started life with the odds stacked against him. He was still a youngster when his breeder decided to sell him, no one wanted to buy him, and a van accident nearly killed him. But Sunday Silence refused to be beaten. Under the tutelage of legendary trainer Charlie Whittingham, the near-black colt showed another facet of the stubborn resiliency that had characterized his early years. Sunday Silence hated to lose on the racetrack.
Yet, even after he won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, defeating East Coast golden boy Easy Goer, Sunday Silence had to fight for respect..............
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thus, Sunday Silence was sold to Japan, where he since has become the most successful stallion in history.....


But it seems that Sunday Silence is still fighting.
Hopefully, his offspring around the world will be gathering together to pay tribute to the great racehorse/stallion and fulfill his quest to establish one of the greatest sire-lines of our time, in this thread. :D

Image

Image

Image

-- video: Sunday Silence (by Mindycrane)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV97ZN9QgkE

I thought that was a wonderful video with beautiful music. But I didn't think this link had ever been brought to this forum.
tachyon
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby Treve » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:17 am

My dream is certainly for a Sunday Silence grand-get or descendant to return to the US one day and sweep the Triple Crown. Empire Maker had his, now it's SS's turn!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
 
Posts: 3949
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:28 am

Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby Ballerina » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:35 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.


You could probably lay a lot of that at the feet of Dinny. Lots of bad blood going on between he and Arthur Hancock. And, I've often wondered with PVal so high on drugs at the time and soon after the TC he was banned from racing for 6 months, did it play into Sunday Silence's defeat in the Belmont? I always felt and continue to feel that SS was the better of the two.
User avatar
Ballerina
 
Posts: 3014
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby Flanders » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 am

Ballerina wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.


You could probably lay a lot of that at the feet of Dinny. Lots of bad blood going on between he and Arthur Hancock. And, I've often wondered with PVal so high on drugs at the time and soon after the TC he was banned from racing for 6 months, did it play into Sunday Silence's defeat in the Belmont? I always felt and continue to feel that SS was the better of the two.

I don't think it was Dinny. I think it was his dad, Ogden Phipps, who chose Seth over Arthur.

I loved both the horses. Their races against each other were fantastic. Besides Alysheba winning the BC Classic, the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer TC races were the first races I remember watching as a kid.

I'm fairly certain that Yoshida is going to stud at WinStar when he retires. So perhaps Sunday Silence will get a good representative here.
User avatar
Flanders
 
Posts: 2598
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:24 pm

And maybe with the Euro breeders - and prominent ones at that - starting to turn to Deep Impact as a major/classics sire, we'll get more of his colts & fillies here to the US as well.

Man do I remember those rivalries of the 80s and 90s, like it was yesterday. How quickly time passes...
lurkey mclurker
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby tachyon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Flanders wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.


You could probably lay a lot of that at the feet of Dinny. Lots of bad blood going on between he and Arthur Hancock. And, I've often wondered with PVal so high on drugs at the time and soon after the TC he was banned from racing for 6 months, did it play into Sunday Silence's defeat in the Belmont? I always felt and continue to feel that SS was the better of the two.

I don't think it was Dinny. I think it was his dad, Ogden Phipps, who chose Seth over Arthur.

I loved both the horses. Their races against each other were fantastic. Besides Alysheba winning the BC Classic, the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer TC races were the first races I remember watching as a kid.

I'm fairly certain that Yoshida is going to stud at WinStar when he retires. So perhaps Sunday Silence will get a good representative here.


Nice to hear that.
Let's see what Yoshida does in the Royal Ascot next.
I would love to see him tested on the conventional dirt at some point, too.
I do think that Heart's Cry can sire good dirt horses with his fundamental power.
tachyon
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Riley Mott @Riley_Mott
8h8 hours ago
Yoshida (JPN) at the ARK @JFK waiting to board his plane to Europe. Great facility. Adventure time! @Ascot @WinStarFarm @Chinahorseclub @BradWeisbord @SeanTugel
Image
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby tachyon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks for the photos!!

And he is now in New Market.

Image
@willaitkenhead
tachyon
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Re: The rise of Sunday Silence

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 am

Yoshida is interesting from several points of view. One is that physically he appears to be more of a Northern Dancer type even though ND is only 5x5 in his pedigree.

Another is that Tony Bin, the sire of his paternal granddam, had Hyperion in his third generation. This is because Tony Bin's dam was 18 when she had him.

Then, Yoshida's dam, Hilda's Passion, descends in tail female line from Kerala, dam of the great Damascus. Aunt Tilt, Hilda's Passion's 5th dam was a half sister to Damascus.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests