The rise of Sunday Silence

tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:01 am

Will a dream come true finally?

I always respect Ray Paulick and his words.
I often visit the youtube video link I posted on the first page of this thread, too.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=298#p4700

Go Sunday Silence, go! :D
tachyon wrote:''Sunday Silence: Racing's Hard Luck Hero'' (Ray Paulick)
Sunday Silence started life with the odds stacked against him. He was still a youngster when his breeder decided to sell him, no one wanted to buy him, and a van accident nearly killed him. But Sunday Silence refused to be beaten. Under the tutelage of legendary trainer Charlie Whittingham, the near-black colt showed another facet of the stubborn resiliency that had characterized his early years. Sunday Silence hated to lose on the racetrack.
Yet, even after he won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, defeating East Coast golden boy Easy Goer, Sunday Silence had to fight for respect..............
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thus, Sunday Silence was sold to Japan, where he since has become the most successful stallion in history.....
But it seems that Sunday Silence is still fighting.
Hopefully, his offspring around the world will be gathering together to pay tribute to the great racehorse/stallion and fulfill his quest to establish one of the greatest sire-lines of our time, in this thread. :D

Image

Image

Image

-- video: Sunday Silence (by Mindycrane)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV97ZN9QgkE

I thought that was a wonderful video with beautiful music. But I didn't think this link had ever been brought to this forum.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:17 am

My dream is certainly for a Sunday Silence grand-get or descendant to return to the US one day and sweep the Triple Crown. Empire Maker had his, now it's SS's turn!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:28 am

Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:35 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.
You could probably lay a lot of that at the feet of Dinny. Lots of bad blood going on between he and Arthur Hancock. And, I've often wondered with PVal so high on drugs at the time and soon after the TC he was banned from racing for 6 months, did it play into Sunday Silence's defeat in the Belmont? I always felt and continue to feel that SS was the better of the two.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2836
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 am

Ballerina wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.
You could probably lay a lot of that at the feet of Dinny. Lots of bad blood going on between he and Arthur Hancock. And, I've often wondered with PVal so high on drugs at the time and soon after the TC he was banned from racing for 6 months, did it play into Sunday Silence's defeat in the Belmont? I always felt and continue to feel that SS was the better of the two.
I don't think it was Dinny. I think it was his dad, Ogden Phipps, who chose Seth over Arthur.

I loved both the horses. Their races against each other were fantastic. Besides Alysheba winning the BC Classic, the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer TC races were the first races I remember watching as a kid.

I'm fairly certain that Yoshida is going to stud at WinStar when he retires. So perhaps Sunday Silence will get a good representative here.
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:24 pm

And maybe with the Euro breeders - and prominent ones at that - starting to turn to Deep Impact as a major/classics sire, we'll get more of his colts & fillies here to the US as well.

Man do I remember those rivalries of the 80s and 90s, like it was yesterday. How quickly time passes...
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Flanders wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Well, when all is said and done, I will always love and respect Sunday Silence, both for what he did on the racetrack and at stud. And I will always be deeply disappointed that such a great horse has never been respected in the home of his birth. Sometimes the elite know-it-alls really don't know anything at all.
You could probably lay a lot of that at the feet of Dinny. Lots of bad blood going on between he and Arthur Hancock. And, I've often wondered with PVal so high on drugs at the time and soon after the TC he was banned from racing for 6 months, did it play into Sunday Silence's defeat in the Belmont? I always felt and continue to feel that SS was the better of the two.
I don't think it was Dinny. I think it was his dad, Ogden Phipps, who chose Seth over Arthur.

I loved both the horses. Their races against each other were fantastic. Besides Alysheba winning the BC Classic, the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer TC races were the first races I remember watching as a kid.

I'm fairly certain that Yoshida is going to stud at WinStar when he retires. So perhaps Sunday Silence will get a good representative here.
Nice to hear that.
Let's see what Yoshida does in the Royal Ascot next.
I would love to see him tested on the conventional dirt at some point, too.
I do think that Heart's Cry can sire good dirt horses with his fundamental power.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4884
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Riley Mott @Riley_Mott
8h8 hours ago
Yoshida (JPN) at the ARK @JFK waiting to board his plane to Europe. Great facility. Adventure time! @Ascot @WinStarFarm @Chinahorseclub @BradWeisbord @SeanTugel
Image
Image
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks for the photos!!

And he is now in New Market.

Image
@willaitkenhead
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 am

Yoshida is interesting from several points of view. One is that physically he appears to be more of a Northern Dancer type even though ND is only 5x5 in his pedigree.

Another is that Tony Bin, the sire of his paternal granddam, had Hyperion in his third generation. This is because Tony Bin's dam was 18 when she had him.

Then, Yoshida's dam, Hilda's Passion, descends in tail female line from Kerala, dam of the great Damascus. Aunt Tilt, Hilda's Passion's 5th dam was a half sister to Damascus.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:31 pm

There is a canadian-bred granddaughter of Sunday Silence by Silent Name out of a Cryptoclearance mare for adoption (retired sound as she was judged not to have any talent for racing) in Ontario.
She is extremely cute, named Magical Spirit
http://longrunretirement.com/horses/magical-spirit/

Image
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Yoshida is interesting from several points of view. One is that physically he appears to be more of a Northern Dancer type even though ND is only 5x5 in his pedigree.

Another is that Tony Bin, the sire of his paternal granddam, had Hyperion in his third generation. This is because Tony Bin's dam was 18 when she had him.

Then, Yoshida's dam, Hilda's Passion, descends in tail female line from Kerala, dam of the great Damascus. Aunt Tilt, Hilda's Passion's 5th dam was a half sister to Damascus.
Thanks for your insights!!

I'm glad that Hilda's Passion(USA) has been bred to various stallions.
Here below is her breeding record;
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001157827/broodmare/info/
Yoshida has been her only black-type winner so far.
I don't know yet who she was bred back to this year.
Personally I hope she visited either Heart's Cry or Lord Kanaloa.
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 am

tachyon wrote:Oju Chosan(JPN), 2011H. Stay Gold(JPN) x Shadow Silhouette(JPN) by Symboli Kris S(USA), won his third consecutive Nakayama Grand Jump easily despite facing setbacks earlier this year with minor health problems that forced him to pass up an intended prep start before his history-making challenge in extending his J-G1 winning streak to five.
His dominating victory this year broke the previous race record set Up to Date(JPN) in 2015 by 3.6 seconds.

Image

Image

Image

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhoFQLUEHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sbgepi_pk
1st 6 Oju Chosan(JPN) [Stay Gold(JPN) x Shadow Silhouette(JPN) by Symboli Kris S(USA)] H7 63 04:43.0
2nd 9 Up to Date(JPN) [Kurofune(USA) x Linear Muse(JPN) by Tony Bin(IRE)]H8 63 04:45.4 DS
3rd 3 Nihonpiro Baron(JPN) [Fusaichi Richard(JPN) x Nihonpillow Annika(JPN) by Captain Steve(USA) H8 63 04:46.8 9
4th 5 Le Pere Noel(JPN) H8 63 04:47.5 4
5th 10 T M Opera Don(JPN) H9 63 04:47.6 NK
6th 8 Crans Montana(JPN) H9 63 04:48.6 6
7th 2 Thinking Dancer(JPN) H5 63 04:48.8 1 1/4
8th 7 Meisho Arawashi(JPN) H7 63 04:50.8 DS
9th 1 Sanrei Duke(JPN) H10 63 04:50.8 NS
10th 11 Tosen Melissa(JPN) M6 61 04:53.2 DS
11th 12 Samurai Fountain(JPN) H5 63 04:58.2 DS
12th 4 Meiner Crop(JPN) H8 63 05:00.4 DS

-- JRA result
''Oju Chosan Sets New Record in Third Consecutive Nakayama Grand Jump Title''

http://japanracing.jp/_news2018/pdf/180414-02.pdf
Japanese steeplechase great Oju Chosan(JPN) (Stay Gold) extended his win streak to ten by winning the Kaiseizan Tokubetsu (allowance) 2600m turf at Fukushima for the first time on the flat on July 7th 2018!!!!!
That was his first start on the flat in 4 years and 8 months.
There was a big crowd at Fukushima today to see Oju Chosan's exceptional challenge and that allowance race was like a G1 event as he crossed the finish line first.
His owner commented after the race that his target this year will be the year-end-all-star-race Arima Kinen. :lol:

Image
Image

Image
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm glad they don't sell those stuffed horses here in the US. I'd go broke from buying so many. ;)
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 pm

They need to release the flat race version of Oju Chosan now!!! :lol:

tachyon I didn't see that you'd posted here so I got all excited and put up a post in the Racing in Japan thread too. :mrgreen:
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:13 am

-- in India,

Sir Cecil(IND), 2015C. Win Legend(JPN) x Elusive Trust(IND) by Elusive Pimpernel(IND), won the Bangalore Derby (Gr1) 2000m turf at Bangalore remaining unbeaten 5 for 5 on July 15th 2018.
Win Legend(JPN)[2003H. Sunday Silence(USA) x Shinko Nobby(USA) by Nashwan(USA)], listed stakes winner in Japan, is now standing at India and eying the champion sire of the country!!

Image

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6YQx-V-ZqA
1st. Sir Cecil(IND) (Win Legend)
2nd. Star Superior(IND) (Excellent Art)
3rd. Van Dyke(IND) (Kingda Ka)



-- in South Korea,

Special Stone(KOR), 2015F. Limitless Bid(JPN) x Grey Stone(KOR) by Walkslikeaduck(USA), won the Korean Oaks (Gr2) 1800m dirt at Busan by 7 lengths on July 15th 2018.
Limitless Bid(JPN)[1999H. Sunday Silence(USA) x Elizabeth Rose(JPN) by Northern Taste(CAN)], mutiple G3 winner in Japan and full brother to Agnes Gold(JPN), is now standing at Korea.

Image

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNC8xo9TBiQ
1st. Special Stone(KOR) (Limitless Bid)
2nd. Fire Wind(KOR) (Colors Flying)
3rd. Seouri Byeol (Limitless Bid)
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:16 am

First Brazilian foal by Hat Trick(JPN) is a filly out of the Peintre Celebre mare Le Halles(BRZ).
She was born on July 23rd at Haras Santa Rita da Serra.
Image

Hat Trick(JPN) is now standing at Haras Springfield, Brazil.
Image
@pribeloch

He sired a G2 winner Hat Mario(ARG) most recently at San Isidro, Argentina, on July 14th.
Image
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 pm

My God, Hat Trick developed into a stunning stallion! :o
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 am

He did.


The mare and foal look like they're actually posing for the camera. :lol:
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Speaking of Hat Trick, he got another graded stakes winner when his daughter Secret Message landed the Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT):

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -up-stakes
Post Reply