Zenyatta News

BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 pm

It's not just Zen; ask Taylor Swift and other celebrities about their stalkers, some of whom have done more than just try to phone them. :(
Summer Bird

Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 pm

You all should see the comments on the Horse Racing Nation FB page. So many people thinking she’s traumatized from losing her foals.
BornToWin

Thu May 10, 2018 6:06 pm

People are intrusive. Something in the celebrity that seems to encourage it. Love and hate. Maybe the call news wasn't true--maybe that person just said it to feel important. Would the farm really even say anything without the owners' approval?

I hope Zenyatta is okay. I hope she goes on to have a few more babies before she is retired and I hope the next ones are super horses. I couldn't read those comments. I am sad the little one is gone but things happen. I wish they wouldn't but we all know it does no matter how well cared for.

When the owners are ready, we'll hear.
luvsgeldings

Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am

her website confirmed the loss of the foal - it is sad - but glad to know she is doing well - she looks good in her paddock - love her.
SSilence86

Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Official word from Zs connections have been posted on her blog.

She aborted mid-April due to low grade placentitis.

Z has bounced back from the loss and is healthy.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Mid-April? So close to her due date, I'd think the foal would have been fully-formed. :(
I wonder if it was a colt or filly?
Condolences to all her connections, especially Lane's End's broodmare caretakers. Losing a foal so close to the due date must be hard for the folks who care for and love these mares.
lurkey mclurker

Fri May 11, 2018 3:31 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Mid-April? So close to her due date, I'd think the foal would have been fully-formed. :(
Condolences to all her connections, especially Lane's End's broodmare caretakers. Losing a foal so close to the due date must be hard for the folks who care for and love these mares.
I was thinking the same thing, and wondering what could have led to the foal being stillborn/aborted, that close to term. What a shame. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Treve

Fri May 11, 2018 3:34 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Mid-April? So close to her due date, I'd think the foal would have been fully-formed. :(
I was thinking the same thing, and wondering what could have led to the foal being stillborn/aborted, that close to term. What a shame. :cry: :cry: :cry:
The condition itself, placentitis is characterised by occurring in the late term and resulting in the loss of weaker or slightly premature foals, I believe. Unless it's caught early enough but it can be really difficult to catch it early.
It really comes down to shit luck.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Private Thoughts

Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Such a shame that two of the best mares in the last several years have only a handful of foals each. Rachel has two and Zen has three.

Rotten luck I suppose, different reasons for each mare, but it really stinks that neither of them have had much luck as a broodmare.
Sparrow Castle

Fri May 18, 2018 1:38 am

Filly’s First Cupcake
We’re a little late sharing this news, but we couldn’t leave you without photos of our filly’s first cupcake!
Zenyatta’s 2017 Medaglia d’Oro filly celebrated her birthday last week, and the staff at Lane’s End threw a party. Thank you, Lane’s End! Scroll down for more photos from Alys.
Lane’s End staff attend the party. Photo courtesy of Alys Emson/Lane’s End Farm

Photo courtesy of Alys Emson/Lane’s End Farm

Photo courtesy of Alys Emson/Lane’s End Farm
http://www.zenyatta.com/news/fillys-first-cupcake
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 18, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for posting those, SC.
Can't see much of her body, but she has a lovely head and strong-looking chest.
Della

Fri May 18, 2018 12:15 pm

In the first picture, there's something interesting going on with her near fore hoof. Can't figure out of that's a bell boot pulled up that was protecting some work done around the hoof wall.
Treve

Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Della wrote:In the first picture, there's something interesting going on with her near fore hoof. Can't figure out of that's a bell boot pulled up that was protecting some work done around the hoof wall.
I think it's an optical illusion. If you zoom in on the picture you'll realize it's far more likely that it's the contrast between the light and the shadows of her leg plus the shadow of the person standing next to her.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Fri May 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Della wrote:In the first picture, there's something interesting going on with her near fore hoof. Can't figure out of that's a bell boot pulled up that was protecting some work done around the hoof wall.
Its nothing more than light and shadows making it look weird.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Zenyatta will not be bred this year.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... this-year/
Northport

Fri May 25, 2018 3:31 am

That will appease the crazies until February, at least.
weeeeeeeee
Ziggypop

Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 am

Northport wrote:That will appease the crazies until February, at least.
lol.
BornToWin

Sun May 27, 2018 11:31 am

Love the Zenyatta filly. She's pretty (Daddy's girl? :)

I just read on the Paulick site in the comments that Zenyatta has had hoof issues. That placentitis(sp?) puts her at risk for laminitis. Is that speculation or common knowledge? I think I read once where Zenyatta's dam had hoof issues, but I didn't know she had them too. Not that I can do anything, just wondered.

Young Cozmic One is sure looking elegant in his training. Looks like he should be a speed demon with those long legs and streamlined body. Does anyone know if they tried him on the track after he was gelded or was he done and turned over? Out of all the viable foals, the one that reminded me of Zenyatta was the War Front filly. The others seem to favor their sires.
lurkey mclurker

Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 pm

I hadn't seen anything about hoof/foot issues, but there was some concern that she was very heavy as she tends to get when pregnant so that might have been it. IIRC the connections cited her weight too the first time they gave Z a year off...