horses with unique coloring/facial markings

TapitsGal
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Maybe I’m just a horse geek but I find the whole color genetics topic in horses and dogs interesting. For example my lab mix Madi is three. She’s a rescue I adopted around Christmas 2014. Her body is black and white with spots. She very much has the size and body of what a rat terrier would. Her size and hind end markings and tail look almost exactly like those of my best friends beagle. We actually joke that they’re twins when Their together. Her head however is all tan with Very little to almost no black with the exception of black rings around her eyes that resemble eye liner. When you look at her head your first thought is that she resembles a rat terrier or a collie. She came up from Texas on a transport truck with a litter of ten other puppies. One puppy was solid white white black markings, another puppy was solid black with white chest and white feet. The remaining puppies were solid black. My dog was the only tri-colored one. The remaining puppies were solid black and all the puppies clearly resembled labs. With Madi it’s harder to tell.We were told at the rescue my dog is lab and some sort of spaniel. She’s also smaller at only 32 pounds full Grown...because of her coloring and genetics intreague me
djnorth
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 am

TapitsGal wrote:Maybe I’m just a horse geek but I find the whole color genetics topic in horses and dogs interesting. For example my lab mix Madi is three. She’s a rescue I adopted around Christmas 2014. Her body is black and white with spots. She very much has the size and body of what a rat terrier would. Her size and hind end markings and tail look almost exactly like those of my best friends beagle. We actually joke that they’re twins when Their together. Her head however is all tan with Very little to almost no black with the exception of black rings around her eyes that resemble eye liner. When you look at her head your first thought is that she resembles a rat terrier or a collie. She came up from Texas on a transport truck with a litter of ten other puppies. One puppy was solid white white black markings, another puppy was solid black with white chest and white feet. The remaining puppies were solid black. My dog was the only tri-colored one. The remaining puppies were solid black and all the puppies clearly resembled labs. With Madi it’s harder to tell.We were told at the rescue my dog is lab and some sort of spaniel. She’s also smaller at only 32 pounds full Grown...because of her coloring and genetics intreague me
Not cheap (around $200) but have you run her DNA? Not that it matters but sometimes it's interesting. I think a lot of shelters are pressed to come up with "possible breeds" and it can be nearly impossible sometimes. Also it's funny that usually it's a two-breed guess maximum! I'm tempted to run it on my aunt's dog. The rescue said pug/ daschund but it looks like some terrier (Schnauzer?) as well.
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1636
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:37 pm

My local German Shorthaired Pointer rescue (they're hunting types, usually a mix of brown and white, and, obviously, shorthaired) picked up a very pregnant female purebred and every one of her 10 or 11 puppies was a shaggy black big-terrier type!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
User avatar
Katewerk
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 am

djnorth wrote: Not cheap (around $200) but have you run her DNA? Not that it matters but sometimes it's interesting. I think a lot of shelters are pressed to come up with "possible breeds" and it can be nearly impossible sometimes. Also it's funny that usually it's a two-breed guess maximum! I'm tempted to run it on my aunt's dog. The rescue said pug/ daschund but it looks like some terrier (Schnauzer?) as well.
General consensus on those in the serious dog world is "a fool and their money". Not particularly reliable.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 am

Depends which ones, some are more accurate than others but as far as I am aware most of those serious DNA tests are primarily designed with mapping the genome of specific purebreds for health and informatio, rather than to determine ancestry. The big one with my breed is done via Embark for the Doberman Diversity Project. If you've got cash to burn, take katewerk's advice and approach with a grain of salt.

Editing to add the link to Embark: https://embarkvet.com/
Only one I'd feel comfortable recommending, but again to be taken with a grain of salt.
Last edited by Treve on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
djnorth
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 am

Katewerk wrote:
djnorth wrote: Not cheap (around $200) but have you run her DNA? Not that it matters but sometimes it's interesting. I think a lot of shelters are pressed to come up with "possible breeds" and it can be nearly impossible sometimes. Also it's funny that usually it's a two-breed guess maximum! I'm tempted to run it on my aunt's dog. The rescue said pug/ daschund but it looks like some terrier (Schnauzer?) as well.
General consensus on those in the serious dog world is "a fool and their money". Not particularly reliable.
It's weird; I've gotten mixed opinions from the vets I've asked. Some say it's pretty accurate; others question why "pit bull" (whatever that is!) were purposely excluded, at least early in the process.
TapitsGal
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:27 pm

djnorth wrote:
TapitsGal wrote:Maybe I’m just a horse geek but I find the whole color genetics topic in horses and dogs interesting. For example my lab mix Madi is three. She’s a rescue I adopted around Christmas 2014. Her body is black and white with spots. She very much has the size and body of what a rat terrier would. Her size and hind end markings and tail look almost exactly like those of my best friends beagle. We actually joke that they’re twins when Their together. Her head however is all tan with Very little to almost no black with the exception of black rings around her eyes that resemble eye liner. When you look at her head your first thought is that she resembles a rat terrier or a collie. She came up from Texas on a transport truck with a litter of ten other puppies. One puppy was solid white white black markings, another puppy was solid black with white chest and white feet. The remaining puppies were solid black. My dog was the only tri-colored one. The remaining puppies were solid black and all the puppies clearly resembled labs. With Madi it’s harder to tell.We were told at the rescue my dog is lab and some sort of spaniel. She’s also smaller at only 32 pounds full Grown...because of her coloring and genetics intreague me
Not cheap (around $200) but have you run her DNA? Not that it matters but sometimes it's interesting. I think a lot of shelters are pressed to come up with "possible breeds" and it can be nearly impossible sometimes. Also it's funny that usually it's a two-breed guess maximum! I'm tempted to run it on my aunt's dog. The rescue said pug/ daschund but it looks like some terrier (Schnauzer?) as well.
I have not run her dna but it’s something I’ve always been meaning to do. I’ve been trying to save up the money to get one
TapitsGal
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 pm

I visit hospitals with her. We also work as part of a hospice agency and visit hospice clients in nursing homes :lol: if I had a dollar for every time each week I get asked what breed(s) Madi is I’d probably be rich. Best responses to my answers about her breed come from the elderly. One lady said to her companion “you better sit down before she says how many breeds are in that dog”....I work with Alzheimer’s and dementia patients....some of them insist they’ve known Madi her whole life(we’ve only been assigned to this client since last September)...they tell me she lives with them...I love my elderly clients. Regardless of her breed Madi has the BEST temperament and she’s super sweet. She can sit in the ER with me when I’m sick(she’s also my assistance dog) and none of the hustle bothers her. Or she comes to my class lectures with me sometimes and will just quietly lay under the table with her head on my foot and listen to the lecture. And I’m an animal Science major and my concentration is animal behavior so all my teachers are pretty cool with her being there. The only classes Madi doesn’t go to are my labs and my equine classes when I know we’re i the barn that night
djnorth
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 am

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 am

Madi sounds phenomenal. Congratulations on your getting to share your life with her.
TapitsGal
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks I refer to her as my child and don’t know what I’d do without her
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm

G @LongBallToNoOne

For fans of BUCHIKO and other unicorns that race in the JRA:
3rd place in this race colt HAYAYAKKO is out of BUCHIKO's sister MARSHMALLOW and part of the amazing SHIRAYUKIHIME (Sunday Silence) line of white and colored T-breds. HAYAYAKKO ran huge, will win races!
replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G--I_Ma5A0E

Hayayakko (JPN) made his start in a 1800m newcomer race at Tokyo Racecourse.
Image
User avatar
Retrospectiv
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Just saw this one on Twitter..... a 2017 out of Blanc Manger from that same family. Not sure the sire... ("Aye Sing Flash"....translate strikes again LOL)

https://twitter.com/buena_vista23/statu ... 7999331328

Image
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:36 pm

LOL that would be Eishin Flash then... :lol: loved him when he was racing.

https://shadai-ss.com/en/stallion/eishin-flash/
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:52 pm

This is Radlux (JPN) as a foal in 2015 - she broke her maiden yesterday on the dirt, 1700m (and muddy) with Christophe Lemaire at Hakodate. Photos via Twitter, @pakapakakobo.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4054
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:40 pm

On Forty Niner's Wikipedia page it states:
He also sired a half thoroughbred half Paint horse, Fifty. Fifty is a world class Performance horse shown with Dubin farms and currently Sinclair Performance Horses.
Has anyone verified this? I would love to see a photo if he does exist.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Starine wrote:On Forty Niner's Wikipedia page it states:
He also sired a half thoroughbred half Paint horse, Fifty. Fifty is a world class Performance horse shown with Dubin farms and currently Sinclair Performance Horses.
Has anyone verified this? I would love to see a photo if he does exist.
Well, the horse definitely exists and looks like this:
Image
Image
But I can't verify his pedigree because I don't have APHA membership. He's not on All Breed Pedigree.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4054
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks. Not quite as flashy as I was hoping. ;)
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:23 am

A 2017 colt by Too Much Bling out of Lil Mary Jane, bred in TX (photo taken late last year).
Image
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2836
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:00 am

Starine wrote:On Forty Niner's Wikipedia page it states:
He also sired a half thoroughbred half Paint horse, Fifty. Fifty is a world class Performance horse shown with Dubin farms and currently Sinclair Performance Horses.
Has anyone verified this? I would love to see a photo if he does exist.
I don't doubt that they test breed stallions their first year at stud but I do doubt he is Forty Niner's son. I mean it would make the horse 28. Forty Niner was sold to Japan in 1995, with his last US crop being born in 1996. The horse just doesn't look that old. I did a little searching and I think he is a descendant of Forty Niner.

I think he is by Forty Niner's son, Flight Forty Nine. This is what I found:
FLIGHT FORTY NINE TB. Stakes Winner, $126,768. Sire of FIFTY (APHA) (1,615 APHA points: APHA Reserve World Champion 2-Year-Old Open Hunter Under Saddle; APHA Amateur and Youth Versatility Champion; APHA Open, Amateur, and Youth Champion; top 10, APHA Honor Roll 2-Year-Old Open Stallion and Amateur Barrel Racing; Superior Open, Amateur, and Youth Hunter Under Saddle; Superior Amateur Horsemanship, Showmanship, and Western Pleasure; Superior Youth Hunt Seat Equitation, Halter, and Showmanship)

http://www.professionalauction.com/11_P ... ration.pdf - from Hip 51

Which leads me to believe he is a full thoroughbred registered as I'm Fifty, who didn't race. He is listed as Fifty on All Breed.
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Starine wrote:Thanks. Not quite as flashy as I was hoping. ;)
Flashy enough, with at least one belly spot!
Post Reply