New Conformation Photos

sweettalk

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Katewerk wrote:
sweettalk wrote:well, his legs don't still look like the stuff that nightmares have nightmares of, but i'd still pass on breeding to him
Albeit my experience is in breeding show dogs, but conformationally speaking -- the photo of Curlin's dam would make me pass on breeding to him.
ohh, where's this one? i missed it somewhere.
Retrospectiv

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Given how horribly crooked Chrome is in front, I'll be interested in seeing what he passes on.
Numerous photos of his standing up straight...and casually.....ugh. That left front in particular.
Clearly it's never slowed him down but I wonder how much that regular chiropractic work for the last 1 1/2 years has helped keep him as sound as he's been.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Katewerk

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:21 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Katewerk wrote:
sweettalk wrote:well, his legs don't still look like the stuff that nightmares have nightmares of, but i'd still pass on breeding to him
Albeit my experience is in breeding show dogs, but conformationally speaking -- the photo of Curlin's dam would make me pass on breeding to him.
Someone posted it to an earlier version of this board, but it seems to have been disappeared. The PedigreeQuery version is head and neck only... and likely for that reason. It was burned into my memory, though.
Treve

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Katewerk wrote:
sweettalk wrote:
Katewerk wrote: Albeit my experience is in breeding show dogs, but conformationally speaking -- the photo of Curlin's dam would make me pass on breeding to him.
Someone posted it to an earlier version of this board, but it seems to have been disappeared. The PedigreeQuery version is head and neck only... and likely for that reason. It was burned into my memory, though.
Curlin's crooked legs scare me off at the price he is. The photo of his dam confirmed it was likely congenital and genetic, rather than due to the stress of racing.
Unless you've got a blue blooded, blue hen type mare with the cleanest legs in the world... You're better off purchasing one of his offspring to see which ones are or aren't crooked. :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Retrospectiv

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Treve wrote:
Curlin's crooked legs scare me off at the price he is. The photo of his dam confirmed it was likely congenital and genetic, rather than due to the stress of racing.
Unless you've got a blue blooded, blue hen type mare with the cleanest legs in the world... You're better off purchasing one of his offspring to see which ones are or aren't crooked. :lol:
Curlin looks worse from the side.

Chrome looks way worse from the front.

Goddamit.....I still can't add attachments. Says board attachment quota reached :cry:
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
sweettalk

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Treve wrote:
Curlin looks worse from the side.

Chrome looks way worse from the front.

Goddamit.....I still can't add attachments. Says board attachment quota reached :cry:
try uploading to imgur.com, then linking to the upload.
ramacdane

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Bismarck Tullio (Curlin X Awesome Fleet - half to Afleet Alex). Standing at Journeyman in FL. Did not race due to a training accident. Picture taken at their stallion show. He was very impressive at a true 17.1 and lovely disposition.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 am

There's a new conformation video of California Chrome up on his Taylor Made Stallions page: http://www.taylormadestallions.com/hors ... 24702.html

Click this link, then the Conformation Video sub-link.
Izvestia

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am

I admit I've been a critic of Chrome's legs from the front, but he certainly ran through it.
Curlin is producing runner after runner, and I think if bred to a mare that puts a good leg on their baby you have nothing to worry about. I'd love to see a conformation shot of Stellar Wind, curious what she looks like.
Also, looking at the mares going to him - I don't think breeders are too put off by him. Like I said, he's producing runners.
CoronadosQuest

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Protonico
from Taylor Made's website
bare it all

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Protonico is a lovely sort, to my eye at least. He looks like a bay version of his grandsire, Hussonet.
Izvestia

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 pm

bare it all wrote:Protonico is a lovely sort, to my eye at least. He looks like a bay version of his grandsire, Hussonet.
He really looks like Hussonet, just the dark chocolate mold. He is handsome!
Starine

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Izvestia wrote:
bare it all wrote:Protonico is a lovely sort, to my eye at least. He looks like a bay version of his grandsire, Hussonet.
He really looks like Hussonet, just the dark chocolate mold. He is handsome!
He looks like Hussonet for sure, and I really liked his granddam Wild Spirit.

Beautifully balanced and striking animal.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:02 am

Here's a new short video of California Chrome's conformation. Scroll down about three items on the page. https://twitter.com/TomRyanKY?lang=en
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:27 pm

There's another new conformation video of Chrome with comments by Duncan Taylor. This video is part of an article on the Paulick Report: http://www.paulickreport.com/features/i ... -new-2017/

Chrome has wonderful conformation. He toes out slightly, but that's such a minor thing. One thing that's really nice about him is that he's not a huge horse. At 16 hands, Chrome is the kind of handy size that reminds me of Northern Dancer and his tribe. For this reason alone, Chrome could be a good physical match for a lot of mares since many individual Thoroughbreds these days are on the large side.
Retrospectiv

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:42 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:There's another new conformation video of Chrome with comments by Duncan Taylor. This video is part of an article on the Paulick Report: http://www.paulickreport.com/features/i ... -new-2017/

Chrome has wonderful conformation. He toes out slightly, but that's such a minor thing. One thing that's really nice about him is that he's not a huge horse. At 16 hands, Chrome is the kind of handy size that reminds me of Northern Dancer and his tribe. For this reason alone, Chrome could be a good physical match for a lot of mares since many individual Thoroughbreds these days are on the large side.
:D :lol:
mariasmon

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:There's another new conformation video of Chrome with comments by Duncan Taylor. This video is part of an article on the Paulick Report: http://www.paulickreport.com/features/i ... -new-2017/

:D :lol:
Did you see the head-on video of him walking? :shock: Thing is, though, at least you know what you're getting with Chrome. He hasn't had corrective surgeries done, obviously.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 am

mariasmon wrote:Did you see the head-on video of him walking? :shock: Thing is, though, at least you know what you're getting with Chrome. He hasn't had corrective surgeries done, obviously.
Sure I saw the video. I don't claim to be an expert on Thoroughbred conformation, but am also not a total novice. I didn't see anything particularly bad about his front. Yes he toes out some, but not severely.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you could explain what you are seeing. I would sure welcome the insights of people who may have experience judging equine conformation. Again, I don't have such in depth experience but am very willing to learn.
Izvestia

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:32 am

This is what I see when he walks:
- his knees point in like this ><
- from his knees, his feet turn out fairly significantly
- he's narrow up front
- does he have big feet for his size? Or is it the 'chrome' creating an illusion?

Also, I find his back through to his tail quite flat.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks Izvestia. Your explanation is clear. I will re-watch the video and look for those points. Yet Chrome always ran straight, true and sound (except for his last race). I will need to watch videos of other stallions walking to compare with Chrome in order to fully understand the differences. Thank you for this helpful conversation. Much appreciated.