Stallion News

Re: Stallion News

Postby Flanders » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:30 am

Treve wrote:I mean if there's not enough time for the BCC, why not look at other end of year G1s? Why not look at the Pegasus World Cup especially since we know Arrogate is heading off after the BCC. And even from Coolmore's perspective, why? They already have a hot PotN son in the shed, why not wait it out another year and increase CE's value? What if SPD turns out to be uh... less talented than Amer Cleo? Very disappointed but not all that shocked.

No one should ever be disappointed, shocked or surprised, Coolmore never buys a horse's stud rights and lets them race at 4. They always go to stud at 4. Its just how it is, all the time. Looking at it from their perspective, its a business and the Empire Maker sire line is hot, on the racetrack and at the sales.

I just looked at their current stallion roster, any that raced at four were either Coolmore raced(Declaration of War, Magician, Munnings, and Verrazano) or horses they bought their stud rights to when the horse was racing at 4(Stay Thirsty and Tale of the Cat).
User avatar
Flanders
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: Stallion News

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Effinex dies at age 7
Effinex, a Grade 1 winner and young New York stallion, died Wednesday in his stall of a pulmonary aneurysm at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. He was 7.

The son of Mineshaft had recently relocated to McMahon of Saratoga after standing his first season at Questroyal North in Stillwater, N.Y. this spring for an advertised fee of $10,000.

Effinex raced as a homebred for Dr. Russell Cohen of Tri-Bone Stables, and he was trained by Jimmy Jerkens.

"I got a call last night at 10 o'clock that he was dead," Cohen said. "The groom left the barn after feeding him at seven, the secretary’s office is right in the stallion barn and she left at 7:30, and one of the veterinarians from Rood and Riddle lives above the stallion barn. He heard a big noise, he went downstairs to find out what it was, and the horse was dead. Rood and Riddle did a postmortem on him and his lungs and trachea were full of blood. He had a pulmonary aneurysm."

Effinex won nine of 28 starts during his on-track career for earnings of $3,312,950.

The New York-bred's biggest wins came in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, two editions of the Grade 2 Suburban Handicap, the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap, the Grade 3 Excelsior Stakes, and the non-graded Empire Classic Handicap. He finished second to American Pharoah in the 2015 Breeders' Cup Classic at Keeneland, and was also in the money in two runnings of the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39212-effinex-dies-at-age-7
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 3407
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Stallion News

Postby Horsebagger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Effinex dies at age 7
Effinex, a Grade 1 winner and young New York stallion, died Wednesday in his stall of a pulmonary aneurysm at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. He was 7.

The son of Mineshaft had recently relocated to McMahon of Saratoga after standing his first season at Questroyal North in Stillwater, N.Y. this spring for an advertised fee of $10,000.

Effinex raced as a homebred for Dr. Russell Cohen of Tri-Bone Stables, and he was trained by Jimmy Jerkens.

"I got a call last night at 10 o'clock that he was dead," Cohen said. "The groom left the barn after feeding him at seven, the secretary’s office is right in the stallion barn and she left at 7:30, and one of the veterinarians from Rood and Riddle lives above the stallion barn. He heard a big noise, he went downstairs to find out what it was, and the horse was dead. Rood and Riddle did a postmortem on him and his lungs and trachea were full of blood. He had a pulmonary aneurysm."

Effinex won nine of 28 starts during his on-track career for earnings of $3,312,950.

The New York-bred's biggest wins came in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, two editions of the Grade 2 Suburban Handicap, the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap, the Grade 3 Excelsior Stakes, and the non-graded Empire Classic Handicap. He finished second to American Pharoah in the 2015 Breeders' Cup Classic at Keeneland, and was also in the money in two runnings of the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39212-effinex-dies-at-age-7


Sad news. But I am ultra curious how many mares he bred this year, because Cohen was constantly pitching him to any owner of a mare he ran into.
Horsebagger
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: Stallion News

Postby Izvestia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 am

Effinex was a cool horse, and he was a nice addition to the NY breeding industry. Speed, stamina, soundness, and a good pedigree- he had every right to tout him.
What a shame. RIP big guy

I think he bred 103 mares.
Izvestia
 
Posts: 3510
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Stallion News

Postby Retrospectiv » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Annnnnnd Dortmund retired. Again.

To Bonita in Maryland:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
User avatar
Retrospectiv
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Stallion News

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Lord Nelson will debut at stud for $20,000
Multiple Grade 1 winner Lord Nelson will debut at stud for Spendthrift Farm in 2018 after missing what would have been his first breeding season due to laminitis.

The son of Pulpit will debut for an advertised fee of $20,000, Spendthrift announced as it revealed next season’s stallion lineup and fees Sunday night.

He will be one of three new stallions on a roster anchored by classic sire Malibu Moon at an unchanged fee of $75,000 and last year's leading juvenile sire Into Mischief, who rises to $100,000. The latter, who stood for $75,000 in 2017, is already booked full.

Lord Nelson won three Grade 1 events in 2016 for Spendthrift, taking the Bing Crosby, Triple Bend, and Santa Anita Sprint Championship, enough to be named an Eclipse Awards finalist in both the male sprint and older dirt male divisions. However, he was scratched from the Breeders’ Cup Sprint, which was to be his final start, after a minor cut in his right foreleg became infected. The horse remained in California for several weeks, undergoing extensive treatment, before shipping to Spendthrift in Kentucky.

The farm staff was hopeful that he would be ready for the start of breeding season in February, but he developed laminitis as a secondary complication, and has been slowly, but steadily, recovering for the past several months.

http://www.drf.com/news/lord-nelson-will-debut-stud-20000
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 3407
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Stallion News

Postby bare it all » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 am

Retrospectiv wrote:Annnnnnd Dortmund retired. Again.

To Bonita in Maryland:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social


LOL bless his heart. Can't wait to see the Dort-monsters tearing it up at Laurel.
User avatar
bare it all
 
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Stallion News

Postby serenassong » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 am

Izvestia wrote:Effinex was a cool horse, and he was a nice addition to the NY breeding industry. Speed, stamina, soundness, and a good pedigree- he had every right to tout him.
What a shame. RIP big guy

I think he bred 103 mares.


so maybe like between 85-95 depending on his fertility rate and full term births. Should be a hot commodity at the sales.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
User avatar
serenassong
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Stallion News

Postby mariasmon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 am

I didn't really expect this, but El Kabeir will stand in Ireland at Yeomanstown Stud in 2018:

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... reland_123
User avatar
mariasmon
 
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Re: Stallion News

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 pm

He's a Scat Daddy. Pretty sure every winning son of SD out there is going to get a chance at stud. :P
With the way his offspring run on the grass, standing in Ireland seems logical.
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8017
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests