Stallion News

Calypso

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 am

Summer Bird wrote:I don't get why that would stall owners from sending their horses to Old Friends. I've volunteered there, and they take fantastic care of their horses. They get to be horses by being outside 24/7, although certain ones do come in for the evening. There was no way Charismatic was going to be saved even if there was a night watch person.
I agree with this. Charismatic's time had come and there was nothing anyone could do to prevent it. I feel like Charismatic and Security should be two separate conversations. As Northport mentioned, they did have a break in at the office and a barn fire, so I think increased security is definitely a conversation that should be had. It still wouldn't have affected the outcome for Charismatic, but it would give us a better idea as to when it happened.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
Ioya Two

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Wow, I guess there was absolutely zero interest in him as a stallion overseas. He isn't even that old.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Toast of New York undergoing vet evaluation for possible return to racing. He's been standing stud in Qatar, but has been returned to the UK for the evaluation.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... -training/
ThreeMustangs

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Any updates on Lord Nelson? I'm hoping no news is good news.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Starine wrote:Sun King, son of the late Charismatic, is officially pensioned and off to Old Friends.
Old FriendsVerified account
‏@Oldfriendsfarm
Bittersweet to welcome Charismatic's successful son $2 million earner SUN KING to his new home.
Izvestia

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Sun King is a gorgeous boy! It's hard to see because he's a totally different colour, but he has the same head and eyes as Charismatic (imo).
Handsome!
Starine

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 am

He's ribby. I wonder if he's just a hard keeper.
Northport

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 am

He also just got off the trailer from Louisiana, they're always going to lose a bit of weight shipping. He could be a hard keeper though, but they're never going look their best off the trailer.
weeeeeeeee
Izvestia

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:39 am

Some of them are just ribby and hard keepers forever. Mine is. Also, I'd rather a little rib than some obese stallion - they look worse to me.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm

TVGVerified account
‏@TVG
Everybody smile!!! The first mare confirmed in foal to California Chrome has been reported!!
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Shadwell Farm‏@ShadwellFarm
First mare scanned in foal to TAMARKUZ!
lurkey mclurker

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 am

From around the internet: White Muzzle, standing (pensioned recently?) in Japan, has died at age 27 from infirmities of old age.
mariasmon

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm

American Pharoah will shuttle to Australia. I'm only surprised he didn't go last year.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/am ... australia/
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Maybe they wanted to get at least two crops from him before they risked shipping him to the other side of the world?
I know that stallions shuttle regularly, but...it seems that we also regularly hear of issues like colic in shuttled horses. :(
I can't help but think it's a bit of a gamble every time you put a horse on plane, and send them to a strange environment. Hopefully, AP's near-bomb-proof temperament will make it easier for him.
I don't blame the Aussies for wanting to have AP available to them. I just hope that all goes well for our priceless Triple Crown champ.
Ziggypop

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:51 pm

mariasmon wrote:American Pharoah will shuttle to Australia. I'm only surprised he didn't go last year.

I am surprised at the how cheap the stud fee will be.
KimmieB

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
mariasmon wrote:American Pharoah will shuttle to Australia. I'm only surprised he didn't go last year.

Me too. It also makes me very curious as to how much breeders have paid for his private fee this year compared to last years fee.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe they wanted to get at least two crops from him before they risked shipping him to the other side of the world?
I know that stallions shuttle regularly, but...it seems that we also regularly hear of issues like colic in shuttled horses. :(
I can't help but think it's a bit of a gamble every time you put a horse on plane, and send them to a strange environment. Hopefully, AP's near-bomb-proof temperament will make it easier for him.
I don't blame the Aussies for wanting to have AP available to them. I just hope that all goes well for our priceless Triple Crown champ.
Agreed. Re Aussies wanted to have AP available, though, aren't most of their horses sprinters? Pharoah is most definitely not a sprinter. Maybe the thinking is he will bring balance to some of their bloodlines?
Treve

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Ziggypop wrote:

What's the most expensive the australian market usually pays for a highly sought after stallion?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 pm

RR: Re Aussies wanted to have AP available, though, aren't most of their horses sprinters? Pharoah is most definitely not a sprinter. Maybe the thinking is he will bring balance to some of their bloodlines?

That could definitely be part of the demand. IIRC, there has been some some grumbling from Down Under fans that their breeding industry has been falling down when it comes to providing winners for the Melbourne Cup. In recent years, much of the field for The Race That Stops a Nation has been composed of imports from Britain. :oops:
If AP, who did pretty well over 12 furlongs, can sire runners who can once again fly the flag for Australian stayers, Aussie fans will be very happy.
If he shuttles again in a couple of years, maybe he'll rate a date with the Wonderful Winx. ;) :D
Northport

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe they wanted to get at least two crops from him before they risked shipping him to the other side of the world?
Agreed. Re Aussies wanted to have AP available, though, aren't most of their horses sprinters? Pharoah is most definitely not a sprinter. Maybe the thinking is he will bring balance to some of their bloodlines?
I mean, he was still plenty precocious. A 2 y/o Champion and winner of a G1 at 7f. Also free of Danehill.
weeeeeeeee