Stallion News

Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Amanda Duckworth did a story about California Chrome in today's New York Times.
We can't know how it will all turn out, of course, but based on photos made public so far of Chrome's first foals, he is producing some really attractive babies. Learning from the Take Charge Indy situation, a stallion's first sales weanlings and yearlings will pretty much make or break his stud career. So it seems the genuine good looks of many of Chrome's foals should help when they go to the sales. Word through various sources (Taylor Made and other farm Facebook pages) is that breeders are happy with their Chrome foals. So he seems to be off to a good start.
Treve

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:20 pm

The Babolna National Stud farm in Hungary updated their website.
They currently have 4 Thoroughbred Stallions standing at Stud including Anabaa Blue (GB) by Anabaa and whose second dam is Allegretta, Bully Pulpit (USA) whose dam is by a sone of Icecapade (now there's a name you don't see often!), Move Your Vision (IRE) (Galileo x Cash Run by Seeking the Gold) and the German bred Akaba (GER).
They've got a few nice pictures, and both the 20 year old Anabaa Blue and 18 year old Bully Pulpit look fantastic.
http://babolnamenes.hu/en/product-categ ... roughbred/
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Starine

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 pm

As an aside, I think Honor Code has thrown quite a few flashy babies... but most of the Chromes I see have very little, well, chrome.
Flanders

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Treve wrote:I don't think Dai Jin is ginormous but he definitely has a hay belly going on and that doesn't help his general chubbiness.
It's clear they don't have a 'sales' prep culture, most of the photos are actually good quality, but few of the horses are groomed, a lot of the mane and tails are left to grow naturally for the most part, and those that have clearly been trimmed haven't been combed or brushed prior to the photo... Couple of muddy horses... couple of recently wet horses, a lot of dusty/muddy halters that haven't recently been oiled, even on the horses that ARE groomed. It is very au naturel :lol:

As for the "Mohawk" as you call it, roached manes are not uncommon outside of North America, and particularly with asiatic steppe cultures. Sometimes it is breed specific and sometimes it isn't (did you know the counter part to the gorgeous spanish stallions with long flowing knee-length manes is traditionally to shave down completely the mane of fillies and mares and the upper part of the tail?)

The most painful thing about that catalogue though is the amount of horses with pin firing scars.
Dai Jin looks ginormous compared to his pic from Europe when he stood at stud there.

Honestly I enjoyed looking at their pics. I was super excited to find their stallion directory. I have seen the roached mane but not on a thoroughbred before.
I don't know why I do it but I was in an argument with some ignorant fool on Bloodhorse who claims, regardless of the stallions age, they should be returned to the US after their stud careers are done in Turkey. That no information is available about any horse that goes to Turkey. I tried explaining to him how much they truly value and love their stallions. Explaining that the Turkish Jockey Club have an excellent webpage and that if the person had even tried, they could find pictures and information in a few minutes. Thankfully I win the argument because the comments are closed now. XD
Treve

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 pm

He's definitely put on weight, and he's definitely overweight, but ginormous wasn't the word that I'd used... maybe because I recently saw a photo of a heavily overweight draft horse (a central european breed that is already naturally pretty thick but that one even was exceptionally substantial :lol: )

arguing in the bloodhorse comments... we've all been there. I still sometimes have moments of weakness where I can't help but to engage.

Turkey is definitely not the worst place for a stud to end up, and most of the stallions in the catalogue look healthy and happy. (esp the muddy ones :lol: )
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Hard to believe...

Coolmore Verified account @coolmorestud
15h15 hours ago
Happy 20th Birthday to the one and only Galileo!! #Supersire #CoolmoreSires
SSilence86

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Anyone know how to look up stallions in Uruguay?

I often wonder how Teeth of the Dog is doing.
Flanders

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:01 am

SSilence86 wrote:Anyone know how to look up stallions in Uruguay?

I often wonder how Teeth of the Dog is doing.
his first crop are Southern Hemisphere 3yos. He has 13 starters, 11 winners, 1 SW, earnings $185,635. AEI 2.31 (from equineline)

http://padrillosenlinea.com/rsdp/ejempl ... ipo_vista=
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:01 am

Starine wrote:As an aside, I think Honor Code has thrown quite a few flashy babies... but most of the Chromes I see have very little, well, chrome.
And then there is this colt by Chrome out of Beholden by Cat Thief

SSilence86

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Flanders wrote: Image
his first crop are Southern Hemisphere 3yos. He has 13 starters, 11 winners, 1 SW, earnings $185,635. AEI 2.31 (from equineline)

http://padrillosenlinea.com/rsdp/ejempl ... ipo_vista=
Thank you!

I really like him. Was sad to see him go, but I'm glad to see he's doing well. :)
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:16 pm

Lane's End @LanesEndFarms
21m21 minutes ago
A.P.Indy enjoying his birthday afternoon #legend
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Indy!!! I will always love you, boy. Happy 29th birthday and I hope you have a few more. So glad you've had a long, good life.
mariasmon

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:39 pm

A.P. only pricks his ears when food is involved :lol: :lol:
lurkey mclurker

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Here's a cute one of Roses in May from Instagram, via Twitter

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhFTPczB4mI/

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Too cute. Looks like the handsome son of Devil His Due is getting a little middle-age spread. :P :D
Izvestia

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 am

Awe!!! I love seeing photos of Roses in May.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Roses in May has such a lovely expression on his face. There was a time I was under the misconception that there were no true black Thoroughbreds, but learned otherwise from this forum. Roses sure is a good-looking black stallion. :)
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Did you ever get to see Devil His Due race? That's where RIM gets his coloring.
SSilence86

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:44 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Did you ever get to see Devil His Due race? That's where RIM gets his coloring.

HTR stamped his line with that very dark bay/near black/black color.

Something about the coloring, and the way they carry themselves I can usually pick them out.
lurkey mclurker

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:02 pm

https://www.racingnews.co.nz/blog/post/ ... Rich-Hill/

A successful long-standing international partnership will again join forces in 2018 with Rich Hill Stud to stand the Group One-winning Japanese miler Satono Aladdin, a son of Shadai Stallion Station’s sire sensation Deep Impact.

Rich Hill and Shadai first combined with the champion stallion Pentire and their ongoing association also includes breeding his son Prince Of Penzance, who won the 2015 Gr.1 Melbourne Cup (3200m).

The passing of Pentire late last year was the catalyst to stand another stallion and both parties believe Satono Aladdin has the necessary credentials to be a major success in the Southern Hemisphere.

He was the winner of eight races with his career highlight an outstanding performance to claim top honours in Japan’s most prestigious mile - the Gr.1 Tokyo Yasuda Kinen (1600m).

“He had a great turn of foot and his time of 1:31.5 for the 1600m that day was amazing, just point-two of a second outside the race record,” Rich Hill Stud’s John Thompson said.

Satono Aladdin won on debut as a two-year-old and was Group Three-placed before training on to dual Group Two victories over 1400m and was successful up to 2000m during his career.

“His pedigree is also top class,” Thompson said. “He is by breed-shaping sire Deep Impact out of Magic Storm, who was a Group Two winner and Group One-placed in America.”

Magic Storm is by champion sire Storm Cat out of a Fappiano mare, who in turn is out of a stakes-winning Nijinsky mare.

Satono Aladdin’s full-sister Lachesis also won Japan’s prestigious Gr.1 Kyoto Queen Elizabeth II Cup (2200m).

“Satono Aladdin is a magnificent looking horse,” Thompson said. “This is reflected in his price tag at the 2011 Japan Racing Horse Association Select Foal Session.

“The Northern Farm-bred colt was the second top-priced foal at $1.7 million when he was purchased by high-profile owner Hajime Satomi.”

Thompson is naturally excited to be bringing such a well-credentialled son of champion sire Deep Impact to these shores.

“The Australian Industry has obviously recognised the tremendous potential of this sire line with Arrowfield Stud standing two Group One-winning sons of Deep Impact, Real Impact and Mikki Isle, last season,” he said.

“Multiple Group One winner Tosen Stardom will also be retiring later this year to stand at Woodside Park in Victoria.

“The Sunday Silence sire line, especially through his champion son Deep Impact, has become a very sought after international commodity so Satono Aladdin is a major coup for the New Zealand breeding industry.

“New Zealand horses continue to perform to the highest level in all our major markets and the progeny of a Group One-winning son of Deep Impact will add a very special international flavour to our sales catalogues in 2020 and beyond.”

Satono Aladdin will serve a restricted book in 2018 and his first-season service fee will be announced at a later date, along with associate Rich Hill stallions Jimmy Choux, Proisir, Shocking and Vadamos. – NZ Racing Desk.