Research: Shetland pony behind thoroughbred speed

Research: Shetland pony behind thoroughbred speed

Postby second_glance » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Not sure the title is a fully valid interpretation of the data, but, thinking of the Shetland mares I've known, it made me laugh. :lol:

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2012/01 ... z2fQo5BAje

Another article on the same research findings: "'Speed Gene' in Modern Racehorses Originated from British Mare 300 Years Ago, Scientists Claim"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 140105.htm
second_glance

Re: Research: Shetland pony behind thoroughbred speed

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I don't know about speed, but I would believe that a certain competitive fire came along with any pony genes. I remember quite fondly a little chestnut Shetland who hated letting any horse get in front of him, and he was a diminutive, down-on-his-belly ball of fire in gymkhana events. :D
BaroqueAgain1

Postby second_glance » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:23 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I don't know about speed, but I would believe that a certain competitive fire came along with any pony genes. I remember quite fondly a little chestnut Shetland who hated letting any horse get in front of him, and he was a diminutive, down-on-his-belly ball of fire in gymkhana events. :D

I said to a friend earlier today that I think they could probably find an "ornery" gene closely linked to the speed gene on that Shetland DNA line. :twisted:
second_glance

Postby Katewerk » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm inclined to file this one under Junk Science.
Katewerk

Postby second_glance » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am

Katewerk wrote:I'm inclined to file this one under Junk Science.

I think that's unfair. Certainly, media interpretations of the study may be sloppy, and in the end the researchers' conclusions may prove to be inaccurate, but Nature and Nature Communications don't publish "junk."
second_glance

Postby ElPrado2 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 am

I doubt if the Shetland being referred to is the miniature now being bred. There were very likely ponies still around at that time that were cross bred riding ponies. Cob sized riding ponies would have been of a size big enough to cross with the Oriental types coming from Africa and the Middle East.
ElPrado2

Return to Breeding & Sales