Stallion News

Re: Stallion News

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm

serenassong wrote:Found the India stud book on FB (link)- there are some familiar names
https://www.indiarace.com/AllStallions.aspx

Thanks for this. Rather dismayed not to find Corporate Jungle on the list, especially considering they continue to list deceased stallions. I had heard several years ago that CJ had recovered from the sesamoid injury suffered in his last race and had arrived in India for stud duty. Wish I knew what happened to him (he's one of those horses I irrationally got attached to just because I interacted with him in person).
Sparrow Castle

Postby Miss Woodford » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:21 am

KimmieB wrote:
serenassong wrote:Found the India stud book on FB (link)- there are some familiar names

Do you know what it means when it says "Struck off'? I've never heard that term.
Thanks!

Pensioned, I think.
Miss Woodford

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 am

Ruis to Stand Saburo and War Envoy in California
Ruis Racing announced Nov. 14 that Saburo and War Envoy will enter stud for 2018 at Tom and Debi Stull's Tommy Town Thoroughbreds near Santa Ynez, Calif. They will be the first sons of leading sires Medaglia d'Oro and War Front , respectively, to stand in the Golden State.

Saburo will stand for $3,500, while War Envoy's stud fee has been set at $5,000.

Medaglia d'Oro's son Saburo was purchased by Ruis at last year's Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2-year-olds-in-training sale for $600,000, which was the second-highest price for a colt at the auction. He is out of the Lemon Drop Kid mare Kid Majic, who hails from the family of Eclipse champion Proud Spell. Kid Majic is also the dam of Miss Mischief, a multiple stakes winner of nearly $523,000.

"I purchased Saburo because I loved the way he moved and because I love the family, which is still very active," Mick Ruis said. "His dam has a Bernardini and a nice Tapit in the pipeline. A little further back is the 2-year-old stakes winner Dak Attack, who is undefeated and should be on the (Kentucky) Derby trail next spring."

War Envoy, by War Front, emerged from his debut victory in April of his 2-year-old season to become one of Europe's leading juveniles in 2014. He placed in a trio of group events before shipping to Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (G1T), where he was beaten just four lengths as the favorite after a brutal trip. The colt continued to show his toughness and versatility throughout three subsequent seasons, racing at 15 different tracks, in five countries, and on dirt and turf. He earned nearly $500,000.

"I have so much admiration for War Envoy. He always tried but didn't always have the best of luck," Ruis said. "He's another with a good family—his third dam is Winning Colors—and his full brother just sold for $750,000 to Cheveley Park Stud at Keeneland September. We plan to support both War Envoy and Saburo with a good numbers of our own mares. In fact, we're looking to buy some mares as we speak."

"California breeders have been clamoring for access to these two sire lines and they sure won't be disappointed when they see Saburo and War Envoy," added Tom Stull. "We're ecstatic to be partnering with the Ruis family on these two promising stallions."

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/224758/ruis-to-stand-saburo-and-war-envoy-in-california#disqus_thread
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 am

Medaglia d'Oro's son Saburo was purchased by Ruis at last year's Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2-year-olds-in-training sale for $600,000, which was the second-highest price for a colt at the auction.

Did Saburo ever make it to the races? Or did Ruis pay $600,000 for an unraced stallion prospect? :?
Well, I suppose it wouldn't be the first time a stallion with a good pedigree but little-or-no race resume went on to do well as a sire.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Medaglia d'Oro's son Saburo was purchased by Ruis at last year's Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2-year-olds-in-training sale for $600,000, which was the second-highest price for a colt at the auction.

Did Saburo ever make it to the races? Or did Ruis pay $600,000 for an unraced stallion prospect? :?
Well, I suppose it wouldn't be the first time a stallion with a good pedigree but little-or-no race resume went on to do well as a sire.

Perhaps the best example of such a stallion is Raise a Native. He went on to become one of the breed's dominant sires, true, but at the time of his retirement, he had a very thin racing record. He was by Native Dancer, but his dam's side of the pedigree was average. As is now legend, Raise a Native ran only four times as a 2-year-old. He was undefeated, but won only two stakes, one of which would probably be unlisted by today's graded rankings. All of his races were 5.5 furlongs or less, but he did set three track records before being injured and retired. He was named champion 2-yr-old on the strength of those track records. One wonders if a horse like Raise a Native would even be given a chance in today's hyper commercialized breeding industry.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby serenassong » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:

Thanks for this. Rather dismayed not to find Corporate Jungle on the list, especially considering they continue to list deceased stallions. I had heard several years ago that CJ had recovered from the sesamoid injury suffered in his last race and had arrived in India for stud duty. Wish I knew what happened to him (he's one of those horses I irrationally got attached to just because I interacted with him in person).

Not a problem- when I saw it, I knew others here would have an interest. It's funny, I was just thinking about C P West the other day- and he was on the stud list. What a handsome boy he is. I remember seeing him up at the Spa.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby starrydreamer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the link! I must have forgotten that Air Support is there. Also Marcus Andronicus and Mr Mellon and Mull of Kintyre and Ravel and Sedgefield (English Channel's full brother) and Whatsthescript. They sure do have some nice horses at stud there.
starrydreamer

Postby nikita » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, I just discovered that Dancing Forever has been deceased for quite a while. According to the website, he died June 2013, only 3 years after he was exported to India. :(
I always loved watching him run. Too bad he died way too young.
nikita

Postby Ioya Two » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Is Point Given done as a stallion? No 18 fee announced and not on Calumet's website any more.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Ioya Two

Postby Ballerina » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Ballerina

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales