Zenyatta News

Re: Zenyatta News

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:39 am

Yeah, there's no way Tonalist is that small. If short stallions get their measurements 'rounded up,' then probably very tall stallions have their stats rounded down.
For example, Americain is listed as 16.3. Phfft. :roll: You want to talk about 17-hand-or-over horses, IMO he qualifies. I watched his Melbourne Cup win, and he made the other horses look like hunter ponies.
I don't think any owner wants his stud to seem either too short or too tall; it makes the pool of mares that would fit them physically much smaller.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Life At Zen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:You don't really expect Tapit to sire a "moose." :P
I wonder how tall Tonalist is? His Stallion Register page doesn't provide that info, and those stallion profiles usually give the height of the stud. :?

Means he's probably 15.2hh or under. 15.3 gets "rounded" up to 16hh in TB stallion ads and if a horse is shorter than that his height is omitted altogether.

Ha. Tonalist is not under 15.2. The only question is how much over 17 hands he is.

^^^^^ :lol:
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby SSilence86 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Tonalist is 17 h and weighs 1,355 lbs.
SSilence86

Postby middleground » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Judging from the new photos at Zenyatta.com, I'd guess that the MDO filly is going to be good-sized when she's grown.
middleground

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:18 pm

I wonder if Lane's End is getting any inquires from Warmblood breeders? :P
Seriously, it wouldn't be hard for any TB farm to set up a second revenue stream for their stallions, by using semen collection for AI in other breeds. Set a lower, second-tier charge for other breeds, knowing that Jockey Club rules would prevent anyone from turning around and trying to race the offspring (if the dam was a TB).
IIRC, there have been TB sprinters who have been popular with QH breeders, and I suspect that AI would have been used.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Insane Crazy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I wonder if Lane's End is getting any inquires from Warmblood breeders? :P
Seriously, it wouldn't be hard for any TB farm to set up a second revenue stream for their stallions, by using semen collection for AI in other breeds. Set a lower, second-tier charge for other breeds, knowing that Jockey Club rules would prevent anyone from turning around and trying to race the offspring (if the dam was a TB).
IIRC, there have been TB sprinters who have been popular with QH breeders, and I suspect that AI would have been used.

They could also do this in the off season, because you freeze the swimmers anyway. They don't have the facilities, but it's not hard.

Always risk with every collection though. I get that. But Union Rags would pop out an awful pretty hunter. :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby bare it all » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:40 am

Wasn't Storm cat being used for QH breeding even after he retired? I swear I recall something like that. I imagine it's much easier on an older stallion to collect for AI than doing live mounts... and probably can do several insemination off a single collection.
bare it all

Postby PONYRCR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am

bare it all wrote:Wasn't Storm cat being used for QH breeding even after he retired? I swear I recall something like that. I imagine it's much easier on an older stallion to collect for AI than doing live mounts... and probably can do several insemination off a single collection.

DWL bred a QH mare to him. Other than that I don't know if he was bred to any other QH on a regular basis.
PONYRCR

Postby Squally » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:47 pm

PONYRCR wrote:
bare it all wrote:Wasn't Storm cat being used for QH breeding even after he retired? I swear I recall something like that. I imagine it's much easier on an older stallion to collect for AI than doing live mounts... and probably can do several insemination off a single collection.

DWL bred a QH mare to him. Other than that I don't know if he was bred to any other QH on a regular basis.

I remember reading that too. I think after he was pensioned he did breed a few. But I don't think it was more than one or two, since his fertility wasn't great. (I don't have any inside info, just remember reading this in the Blood horse or something)
Squally

Postby mariasmon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Squally wrote:
PONYRCR wrote:

I remember reading that too. I think after he was pensioned he did breed a few. But I don't think it was more than one or two, since his fertility wasn't great. (I don't have any inside info, just remember reading this in the Blood horse or something)

I think the QH offspring were conceived from frozen semen that had been collected well before he was pensioned from stud. He was also cloned, with the clones aimed for use as polo ponies.
mariasmon

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales