The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Add 10yo Slim Shadey to the above list of old timers running this week. He's entered in the Stars and Stripes Stakes at Arlington this Saturday (7/7/18).

It's interesting that he's being shipped to Arlington to race. He's been running very well in NY, but maybe this Saturday's Stars & Stripes turf races have drawn too tough for him to be competitive. I love him, but those races have attracted good turf horses; even Coolmore has brought over horses to run in the lucrative NY grass races.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Wow, what a race in the Bertrando! And I think Soi Phet just kept his nostril in front at the wire. :D
That venerable warrior knows just where the wire is, as he kicked hard just before the wire.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm

What a warrior! Soi Phet's the winner by a whisker!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Old Bones » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Soi Phet - that was awesome! Looked like a dead heat but he won it and leaves the track to a standing ovation!
Old Bones

Postby Dusty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Old Bones wrote:Soi Phet - that was awesome! Looked like a dead heat but he won it and leaves the track to a standing ovation!

WOW!!! That was a race- he is now a millionaire!!!!
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Diver52 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 pm

That was great to see!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:41 pm

It's a good feeling to watch these old timers showing the youngsters how it's done. A lady was holding a small banner that said "In Soi Phet we trust". She knows.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm

It sounds like his trainer, Leonard Powell, likes his horse so much that his car license plate reads 'SOI PHET.'
If it's not Powell, someone who drives around near Del Mar has that plate.
Soi Phet is a very handsome horse. When it comes time for him to hang up his racing shoes, I can imagine that more than a few riders would love to have him in their barn. 8-)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Soi Phet's win is sweet but very sad to hear about 8 year old Magic Mark who was eased in the race.

Soi Phet becomes a millionaire with tight victory in Bertrando Stakes
The amazing 10-year-old Soi Phet surpassed $1 million in career earnings and won the 15th race of his career with a thrilling victory by a nose over B Squared in Wednesday’s $101,035 Bertrando Stakes at Los Alamitos.

The win was not confirmed until four minutes after the two runners reached the wire nearly together in the one-mile race for California-breds. Until the result of the photo was announced, trainer Leonard Powell doubted whether Soi Phet had won the seventh stakes of his career.

Powell watched the race about a sixteenth of a mile from the finish and said he could not judge the margin. Even a video replay left him unsure.

“I watched it here and you have no idea,” he said while walking toward the winner’s circle. “When I watched the replay, I had no idea.”

Soi Phet ($9.60) prevailed by the narrowest of margins over B Squared, the 2-1 favorite. The result left Powell amazed at the resiliency of Soi Phet, who was claimed for $16,000 in 2013.

“That’s what racehorses are,” Powell said.

After the race, Magic Mark, the 5-2 second choice, collapsed and died in the stable area, according to a racing official. Magic Mark was second to the quarter pole before quickly fading from contention. He was eased and finished 52 lengths behind the winner.

Magic Mark was walked to the stables where he was stricken. A cause was not immediately known. A necropsy will be performed, which is standard when a horse dies at a California racetrack.

More: http://www.drf.com/news/soi-phet-becomes-millionaire-tight-victory-bertrando-stakes?enable=true
Sparrow Castle

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:22 pm

After the race, Magic Mark, the 5-2 second choice, collapsed and died in the stable area, according to a racing official. Magic Mark was second to the quarter pole before quickly fading from contention. He was eased and finished 52 lengths behind the winner.

Magic Mark was walked to the stables where he was stricken. A cause was not immediately known. A necropsy will be performed, which is standard when a horse dies at a California racetrack.

More: http://www.drf.com/news/soi-phet-becomes-millionaire-tight-victory-bertrando-stakes?enable=true[/quote]

Yes, very sad indeed. RIP Magic Mark.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Racing