Page 36 of 42

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm
by WarBiscuit
Northport wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Northport wrote:Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

There's a lot of anger on Twitter, as this was Scrutineer's 7th race in 4 months, but not a lot of people are factoring that Emirati season only runs November-March.
I don't quite understand your comment. What's there to factor in?

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

Trainer A. Al Rayhi (same as Mushaakis earlier this week)
The horses race 2-3 times a month during the racing season (whether they are trained by Al Rayhi, Doug Watson, Mike De Kock, etc.), then are off April-October. When all is said and done, at the end of a calendar year, I personally wouldn't count many of those horses as over raced.
I think the concern is not so much the tally at the end of the calendar year, but rather horses racing too many times within a short period of time. The angry folks are probably focused on that five day span between his last races. I tend to be a bit more wary when some of the 10-13 year olds I follow are raced once and possibly twice during a seven day period. Depends on the conditioning of the horse, but I've occasionally seen that argument reach its limit to the point of becoming abusive. Everything in moderation - even racing horses...

WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 pm
by Northport
I can definitely understand the whole situation from that angle. I also didn't know that it Al Rayhi who trained Mushaakis, who also broke down, which does make the whole thing a bit more suspect.

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 pm
by Starine

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 am
by Miss Woodford
Classic Wildcat finished 2nd beaten by 7 3/4 lengths, on February 9, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 4.
Off odds: 4.00
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA4.pdf

Re: "overracing" horses, even racing a week apart isn't "abusive" for a horse in peak fitness. Running doubles or even triples during Royal Ascot and other major festivals in England and the rest of Europe is still relatively common.The Tatling raced off rest as short as 2 days even in his G1 days and continued to do so as he ran in the handicap ranks until age 14. This does of course require a trainer familiar with conditioning a horse to run on short rest, and perhaps Mr. Al Rayhi is not.

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 am
by Catalina
WarBiscuit wrote:
Northport wrote:
Catalina wrote:
I don't quite understand your comment. What's there to factor in?

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

Trainer A. Al Rayhi (same as Mushaakis earlier this week)
The horses race 2-3 times a month during the racing season (whether they are trained by Al Rayhi, Doug Watson, Mike De Kock, etc.), then are off April-October. When all is said and done, at the end of a calendar year, I personally wouldn't count many of those horses as over raced.
I think the concern is not so much the tally at the end of the calendar year, but rather horses racing too many times within a short period of time. The angry folks are probably focused on that five day span between his last races. I tend to be a bit more wary when some of the 10-13 year olds I follow are raced once and possibly twice during a seven day period. Depends on the conditioning of the horse, but I've occasionally seen that argument reach its limit to the point of becoming abusive. Everything in moderation - even racing horses...

WarBiscuit
Exactly. Some of the anger may also have come from how the whole thing went down. Scrutineer was actually doing quite well until the eventual winner started a strong closing run and went flying past by him, at which point Scrutineer's jockey started whipping his mount, at about the same time Scrutineer's tail seemed to be acting...weird, so I assume that was the time the breakdown had started. I must also assume that the jockey only belatedly noticed what was happening. Video of the race is on horseracingnation.com

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 am
by WarBiscuit
Good 'ol Dance Caller still on top of his game.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -at-age-12


WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm
by WarBiscuit
Millionaire Slim Shadey, who finished his 2017 season in fine fashion, begins his 10yo season at Gulfstream this Saturday in the Old Man Eloquent Stakes.

$60,000 Purse - 1 and 1/16 Miles - Race 7 - 3:04 pm

Good luck SS!

WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
I wonder if he has mellowed in his older years? If you've never seen the video taken while he was still in Britain, it's a stunning example of just how accurate a horse's kick can be.
He was being walked around the parade ring before his race and he apparently took a dislike to a video cameraman filming him. When Slim' got level with him, he nailed the camera with a perfectly aimed, sideways hind leg. Knocked the man flying, and that dude was fortunate the horse made contact with the lens and not his face. :shock:

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm
by WarBiscuit
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I wonder if he has mellowed in his older years? If you've never seen the video taken while he was still in Britain, it's a stunning example of just how accurate a horse's kick can be.
He was being walked around the parade ring before his race and he apparently took a dislike to a video cameraman filming him. When Slim' got level with him, he nailed the camera with a perfectly aimed, sideways hind leg. Knocked the man flying, and that dude was fortunate the horse made contact with the lens and not his face. :shock:
Yikes - no, I didn't know about that. Talk about precision kicking! Could easily have been fatal. Have to say, however, that I appreciate his disdain for the media...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAuLjUSjlYA

WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm
by WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit wrote:Millionaire Slim Shadey, who finished his 2017 season in fine fashion, begins his 10yo season at Gulfstream this Saturday in the Old Man Eloquent Stakes.

$60,000 Purse - 1 and 1/16 Miles - Race 7 - 3:04 pm

Good luck SS!

WarBiscuit
The old man still has it - came in 2nd, just nipped at the wire. Nice race.

WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm
by WarBiscuit
10 year old gelding Industry Leader, who began his career on the big stage at Hollywood Park, Del Mar and Santa Anita for Kristin Mulhall, broke down in a
low level claiming race at Charles Town on Friday (2/16) and was euthanized on the track.

Industry Leader (Cherokee Run - Dynamite Miss, by Seeking the Gold). 56 - 11-11-2, $217,542. Graded Stakes Placed.

Rest easy, rest well...

WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 pm
by Diver52
RIP Industry Leader. Remember him well and I'm sorry he slid so far down after a promising start to his career.

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:00 pm
by WaquoitNBroadBrush
Industry Leader broke maiden at first asking. I looked up a few others from that long-ago MSW race. None became stars, but several ran in stakes and/or had long careers. And a couple wound up in low claimers, one at Turfway, the other at Laurel. At least they didn't break down.

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm
by Sparrow Castle
WarBiscuit wrote:10 year old gelding Industry Leader, who began his career on the big stage at Hollywood Park, Del Mar and Santa Anita for Kristin Mulhall, broke down in a
low level claiming race at Charles Town on Friday (2/16) and was euthanized on the track.

Industry Leader (Cherokee Run - Dynamite Miss, by Seeking the Gold). 56 - 11-11-2, $217,542. Graded Stakes Placed.

Rest easy, rest well...

WarBiscuit
Muddy sealed tracks are so hard on old warhorse-weary legs. So sorry, Industry Leader.

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 pm
by Catalina
Sparrow Castle wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote:10 year old gelding Industry Leader, who began his career on the big stage at Hollywood Park, Del Mar and Santa Anita for Kristin Mulhall, broke down in a
low level claiming race at Charles Town on Friday (2/16) and was euthanized on the track.

Industry Leader (Cherokee Run - Dynamite Miss, by Seeking the Gold). 56 - 11-11-2, $217,542. Graded Stakes Placed.

Rest easy, rest well...

WarBiscuit
Muddy sealed tracks are so hard on old warhorse-weary legs. So sorry, Industry Leader.
You would think that the trainers should know that. Presumably also know that...

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 pm
by Catalina
RIP, Industry Leader.

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm
by WarBiscuit
Recent Winners:

10yo r Sam Sparkle (Too Much Bling - La Carina, by Silver Deputy), 1st at Laurel Park (2/19/18). 68 - 10-11-16, $499,543. SW. 3rd consecutive win.

10yo m Giselle Ma Belle (Indian Ocean - Cuckoo Sue, by Notebook), 1st at Tampa Bay Downs (2/17/18). 61 - 7-10-6, $112,913.

11yo g Barrel Knot (Freespool - Benedictine, by Bien Bien), 1st at Rillito (2/18/18). 98 - 16-10-19, $326,323.

11yo g My Charming Clyde (Proud Accolade - Kiss the Wind, by Smile), 1st at Tampa Bay Downs (2/16/18). 103 - 20-23-15, $487,876. MSP

10yo g Bob's Gone Wild (Mutakddim - On The Wild Side, by Mountain Cat), 1st at Delta Downs (2/14/18). 76 - 14-12-7, $238,766.

12yo g Dance Caller (Concorde's Tune - Call Me Dancer, by Gate Dancer), 1st at Fair Grounds (2/10/18). 79 - 17-17-15, $363,159. SW.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Becky's Kitten - 11g, El Grande Rojo - 10g, Barrel Knot - 11g, Slim Shadey - 10g, City Sage - 10g, Gamber Bill - 10g,
Roarin Missile - 11g, Crown King - 10g, War and Thunder - 10g .

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Rosa's Catena - 13g, Watch My Smoke - 10g, Cozy Bar - 10g, Zoe's Cajun - 10g, Pickett's Charge - 10g,
My T Quick - 12g, Pursuxit - 10g, Buddy Princess - 10m (Champagne and Kisses Stakes - Rillito).


WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm
by Sparrow Castle
Good news for this one!

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
5m5 minutes ago
GATO PASO (2006 FL-bred G 114-starts / 34-stateside & 80 in PR). @CaribbeanOTTB decided today, 1 day b4 his real 12th birthday, that this lucky boy will become CTA's newest OTTB! ThankU Dr Loinaz 4 looking out 4 him & doing a thorough eval. He'll leave track soon 4 R&R at farm!
Image

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 pm
by WarBiscuit
Sparrow Castle wrote:Good news for this one!

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
5m5 minutes ago
GATO PASO (2006 FL-bred G 114-starts / 34-stateside & 80 in PR). @CaribbeanOTTB decided today, 1 day b4 his real 12th birthday, that this lucky boy will become CTA's newest OTTB! ThankU Dr Loinaz 4 looking out 4 him & doing a thorough eval. He'll leave track soon 4 R&R at farm!
Image
Thanks for the great news Sparrow Castle! That poor boy looks tired and worn out, and deserves a happy retirement. He came in 10th in his only race this year - 44 lengths back. Thank God for CTA and the incredible work they do. The condition of some of these old horses still racing in PR is appalling at best. Thankfully, I get to check another War Horse off the Camarero watch list. Still concerned about several, but two in particular - 13yo m Worthy of Wings (136 starts), and 13yo g Concertos Song (123 starts).

Happy and Healthy retirement to Gato Paso !

WarBiscuit

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 pm
by Sparrow Castle
He sure looks better today...nothing better than getting them out of their damp, dreary track stalls...

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
6h6 hours ago
GATO PASO (2006 FL-bred G 114-starts) first day as an OTTB... He’s at Kelley’s farm where it’s smaller, quieter and he’ll gets lots of turnout time and plain ole R&R! @CaribbeanOTTB
Video: https://twitter.com/ShelleyBlodgett/sta ... 9825305600

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
4h4 hours ago
Gato Paso arrived just in time to help oversee construction of the new run-in shed in his pasture!
Image
Image