The WAR HORSE Chronicles

bare it all

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote:
10yo g Thunderclap Newman (Thunder Gulch - Silent Siren, by Quiet American), died during training at Arapahoe Park (6/15/17). "Trauma in Gate, died" .
Why would you be training a 10-year-old with 71 starts from the gate anyway? Don't most horses with that kind of experience skip the gate works and just use a brisk breeze or two to get ready for the next start?
His last race back in June '17 he had gate trouble. My guess is the stewards might have asked that he get a new gate card and/or the trainer was working on gate issues. Without having seen him, maybe he was always a bad gate horse.
WarBiscuit

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm

bare it all wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote:
10yo g Thunderclap Newman (Thunder Gulch - Silent Siren, by Quiet American), died during training at Arapahoe Park (6/15/17). "Trauma in Gate, died" .
Why would you be training a 10-year-old with 71 starts from the gate anyway? Don't most horses with that kind of experience skip the gate works and just use a brisk breeze or two to get ready for the next start?
His last race back in June '17 he had gate trouble. My guess is the stewards might have asked that he get a new gate card and/or the trainer was working on gate issues. Without having seen him, maybe he was always a bad gate horse.
Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly what was going on there. As definitive as the outcome was, those words - "trauma in gate, died" - are a bit cryptic. I'm wondering if he
severely injured himself in the gate and had to be euthanized, or if he panicked his way into a heart attack. Either way, he was in great distress, and a sad ending for an older racer.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Recent Winners:

10yo r Sam Sparkle (Too Much Bling - La Carina, by Silver Deputy), 1st at Laurel Park (1/26/18). 67 - 9-11-16, $487,003. Stakes Winner.

10yo g Chaotic Bull (Holy Bull - Chaos, by Wild Again), 1st at Mahoning Valley (1/30/18). 66 - 14-10-14, $238,110.

10yo g Unitas (Sunday Break - Caught in the Dark, by Night Shift), 1st at Delta Downs (1/24/18). 75 - 14-12-9, $455,458. MSW.

10yo g City Sage (City Place - Mystical Susan, by French Deputy), 1st at Sunland Park (1/30/18). 61 - 14-16-10, $407,435. Stakes Winner.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: The Fourth Estate - 10g, War and Thunder - 10g, Lagoon of Diamonds - 10g, Dark Desire - 10m.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Bully Roll - 12g, Azote - 10g, Danzig Tera - 10m, Woodmans Luck - 10g, Crown King - 10g, Lizzy Lass - 10m.

10yo h Forest Mouse is entered in an AOC race at Sunland Park on Tuesday, February 6th. Likely keeping limber for the Spring Handicap races at Sunland and Sunray Parks.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 pm

12yo g Reynaldothewizard is entered in the Al Shindagha Sprint at Meydan this Thursday (2/8/18), and possibly headed to the Dubai Golden Shaheen on
March, 31st.

WarBiscuit
Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:02 am

WarBiscuit wrote:12yo g Reynaldothewizard is entered in the Al Shindagha Sprint at Meydan this Thursday (2/8/18), and possibly headed to the Dubai Golden Shaheen on
March, 31st.

WarBiscuit
Best of luck, ol' boy!

The Darling Of Meydan: 12-Year-Old Reynaldothewizard Still Going Strong
The most popular horse in the UAE is easily Reynaldothewizard. He has stood the test of time, quite literally, competing into his 12-year-old season in 2018; a feat unmatched at the Group-racing level. He has become the darling of Meydan racing fans, notably bringing the house to frenzy when winning the Dubawi Stakes for the third consecutive year in 2017 at the age of 11. A winner of the Dubai Golden Shaheen (G1) at age seven (2013), he holds a special place in the hearts of racing fans worldwide; year-after-year competing against the best sprinters on the planet and proving to be one of the most genuine athletes thoroughbred racing has seen. Satish Seemar's first G1 winner, he once again is training and competing well, defying convention and all possible odds.

“He holds a lot of importance to me,” Seemar said. “The other day (in the Dubawi), I was planning his retirement at about three furlongs out, but then he decided that he wanted to try to win the race. That's the way he is. He wants to race and is doing very well. When you have a horse racing at his age, he knows the drill and does it at his own pace. We are looking after his health, not forcing him to run and he is happy every day. You can have a 12-year-old race, but not running up to the top international level and that's very unique. He'll be special to me forever and has given me many great memories. We're looking forward to racing again on Thursday.”
More: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ng-strong/
Northport

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

There's a lot of anger on Twitter, as this was Scrutineer's 7th race in 4 months, but not a lot of people are factoring that Emirati season only runs November-March.
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Classic Wildcat finished 2nd beaten by 7 3/4 lengths, on February 9, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 4.
Off odds: 4.00
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA4.pdf
Catalina

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Northport wrote:Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

There's a lot of anger on Twitter, as this was Scrutineer's 7th race in 4 months, but not a lot of people are factoring that Emirati season only runs November-March.
I don't quite understand your comment. What's there to factor in?

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

Trainer A. Al Rayhi (same as Mushaakis earlier this week)
WarBiscuit

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Visitors to the Winners Circle:

10yo g Top Prospect (Stormy Atlantic - Strike Me Lucky, by Smart Strike), 1st at Laurel Park (2/2/18). 61 - 9-14-13, $419,238. MSP. 3rd consecutive win.

10yo g Lucky Lotto (Pure Prize - Kirsche, by Defrere), 1st at Delta Downs (2/1/18). 61 - 13-13-11, $528,398. SP.

11yo g Small Town (Ecton park - Won Perfect Rose, by Air Forbes Won), 1st at Camarero (2/2/18). 140 - 23-24-18, $301,426.

11yo g Evening Concerto (Concerto - Almost Aprom Queen, by Montbrook), 1st at Turf Paradise (2/7/18). 126 - 21-15-26, $283, 639. SP.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Catfeinated - 11g, Praetereo - 10g, Roarin Missile - 11g, Forever Sure - 10g, Cozy Bar - 10g, Smack Ridge - 10g,
Classic Wildcat - 12g, Forest Mouse - 10h.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Reynaldothewizard - 12g, Carr Creek - 10g, Cactus Son - 10g, Bim Bam - 11h, My Charming Clyde - 11g,
Giselle Ma Belle - 10m.

WarBiscuit
Northport

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Catalina wrote:
Northport wrote:Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

The horses race 2-3 times a month during the racing season (whether they are trained by Al Rayhi, Doug Watson, Mike De Kock, etc.), then are off April-October. When all is said and done, at the end of a calendar year, I personally wouldn't count many of those horses as over raced.
weeeeeeeee
WarBiscuit

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Northport wrote:
Catalina wrote:

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

The horses race 2-3 times a month during the racing season (whether they are trained by Al Rayhi, Doug Watson, Mike De Kock, etc.), then are off April-October. When all is said and done, at the end of a calendar year, I personally wouldn't count many of those horses as over raced.
I think the concern is not so much the tally at the end of the calendar year, but rather horses racing too many times within a short period of time. The angry folks are probably focused on that five day span between his last races. I tend to be a bit more wary when some of the 10-13 year olds I follow are raced once and possibly twice during a seven day period. Depends on the conditioning of the horse, but I've occasionally seen that argument reach its limit to the point of becoming abusive. Everything in moderation - even racing horses...

WarBiscuit
Northport

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 pm

I can definitely understand the whole situation from that angle. I also didn't know that it Al Rayhi who trained Mushaakis, who also broke down, which does make the whole thing a bit more suspect.
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Miss Woodford

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 am

Classic Wildcat finished 2nd beaten by 7 3/4 lengths, on February 9, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 4.
Off odds: 4.00
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA4.pdf

Re: "overracing" horses, even racing a week apart isn't "abusive" for a horse in peak fitness. Running doubles or even triples during Royal Ascot and other major festivals in England and the rest of Europe is still relatively common.The Tatling raced off rest as short as 2 days even in his G1 days and continued to do so as he ran in the handicap ranks until age 14. This does of course require a trainer familiar with conditioning a horse to run on short rest, and perhaps Mr. Al Rayhi is not.
Catalina

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 am

WarBiscuit wrote:
Northport wrote:
Catalina wrote:

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

I think the concern is not so much the tally at the end of the calendar year, but rather horses racing too many times within a short period of time. The angry folks are probably focused on that five day span between his last races. I tend to be a bit more wary when some of the 10-13 year olds I follow are raced once and possibly twice during a seven day period. Depends on the conditioning of the horse, but I've occasionally seen that argument reach its limit to the point of becoming abusive. Everything in moderation - even racing horses...

WarBiscuit
Exactly. Some of the anger may also have come from how the whole thing went down. Scrutineer was actually doing quite well until the eventual winner started a strong closing run and went flying past by him, at which point Scrutineer's jockey started whipping his mount, at about the same time Scrutineer's tail seemed to be acting...weird, so I assume that was the time the breakdown had started. I must also assume that the jockey only belatedly noticed what was happening. Video of the race is on horseracingnation.com
WarBiscuit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 am

Good 'ol Dance Caller still on top of his game.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -at-age-12

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Millionaire Slim Shadey, who finished his 2017 season in fine fashion, begins his 10yo season at Gulfstream this Saturday in the Old Man Eloquent Stakes.

$60,000 Purse - 1 and 1/16 Miles - Race 7 - 3:04 pm

Good luck SS!

WarBiscuit
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

I wonder if he has mellowed in his older years? If you've never seen the video taken while he was still in Britain, it's a stunning example of just how accurate a horse's kick can be.
He was being walked around the parade ring before his race and he apparently took a dislike to a video cameraman filming him. When Slim' got level with him, he nailed the camera with a perfectly aimed, sideways hind leg. Knocked the man flying, and that dude was fortunate the horse made contact with the lens and not his face. :shock:
WarBiscuit

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I wonder if he has mellowed in his older years? If you've never seen the video taken while he was still in Britain, it's a stunning example of just how accurate a horse's kick can be.
He was being walked around the parade ring before his race and he apparently took a dislike to a video cameraman filming him. When Slim' got level with him, he nailed the camera with a perfectly aimed, sideways hind leg. Knocked the man flying, and that dude was fortunate the horse made contact with the lens and not his face. :shock:
Yikes - no, I didn't know about that. Talk about precision kicking! Could easily have been fatal. Have to say, however, that I appreciate his disdain for the media...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAuLjUSjlYA

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:Millionaire Slim Shadey, who finished his 2017 season in fine fashion, begins his 10yo season at Gulfstream this Saturday in the Old Man Eloquent Stakes.

$60,000 Purse - 1 and 1/16 Miles - Race 7 - 3:04 pm

Good luck SS!

WarBiscuit
The old man still has it - came in 2nd, just nipped at the wire. Nice race.

WarBiscuit