The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Postby WarBiscuit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:39 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Do any jurisdictions still allow horses to run after their 12-y-o season? I know harness has had a mandatory retirement age of 14 for some time (I always look forward to seeing those "retirement ceremonies" on the Freehold and Monticello simulcasts in December) but I can't remember seeing a 13- or 14-y-o thoroughbred in any chart for a long time now. The oldest horse I ever saw run in person was a mare named Pollette, who was 15 when she competed at the Marshfield Fair in Massachusetts in 1977, and I found a 17-year-old gelding named Balmy Moose in a 1972 Chart Book, running at Scarborough Downs in Maine their last season as a t-bred track. Are the senior citizens not allowed to run anywhere anymore, or are some still out there?

Keeping track of all of these War Horses requires an Excel spreadsheet which is beginning to tax the available space on this computer (!), but scanning the list of the 300 or
so 10+ year olds who were in training or ran this year, it looks like there were roughly 20 that were 13yo or more. It seems that the truly ancient runners are more likely
to show up at the State Fair or bush tracks around the country and rarely race more than 5/6 times a year. As for the larger tracks, a couple come to mind that are known
to be more accepting of older runners - certainly Camarero in PR, and in the states, Presque Isle Downs and Turf Paradise at the top, followed closely by Thistledown, Mountaineer, Finger Lakes and Mahoning. A couple years back, there was Star of Rome, a 15yo who was looking to start at Finger Lakes, but the connections were told that he was too old. They then shuffled him to PID where he was entered a few times, but scratched for various reasons. The connections, fortunately, gave up and he was unceremoniously retired. And we must not forget dear old Alpena Magic, who raced a good number of times at 15, and there were thoughts of starting him as a 16yo - and even at 17, until the Ellis Park boss snatched him up and made him the Ellis Park "Equine Ambassador"!

I am fairly certain that a goodly number of the 12yo horses that ran well in 2016 will return in their 13th year - among those, Doctor Titilo at Camarero who will try to eclipse the 200 start mark. We can only cross our collective fingers and hope that all works out well for them. Sadly, however, we occasionly witness that last race that should never have been run - and the price paid for doing so...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:46 pm

I wonder if some of the older runners end up at Presque Isle because the synthetic surface is a bit kinder to their aging ankles? If they can run with more comfort, perhaps that gives them a better chance at performing more like they did when they were a few years younger.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miss Woodford » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:17 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Do any jurisdictions still allow horses to run after their 12-y-o season? I know harness has had a mandatory retirement age of 14 for some time (I always look forward to seeing those "retirement ceremonies" on the Freehold and Monticello simulcasts in December) but I can't remember seeing a 13- or 14-y-o thoroughbred in any chart for a long time now. The oldest horse I ever saw run in person was a mare named Pollette, who was 15 when she competed at the Marshfield Fair in Massachusetts in 1977, and I found a 17-year-old gelding named Balmy Moose in a 1972 Chart Book, running at Scarborough Downs in Maine their last season as a t-bred track. Are the senior citizens not allowed to run anywhere anymore, or are some still out there?

Plenty of jumps horses (especially timber horses) run and win at that age or older, even in major stakes races. Twill Do ran in the Maryland Grand National and Maryland Hunt Cup timber races as a 15 year old in 2015. There are even older horses still running in unrecognized point-to-points.

Over in Britain Megalala won this past year as a 15yo and is poised to run again in 2017 at age 16!
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... 6/2159297/
Miss Woodford

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:52 am

IIRC, there was a 17-year-old entire who competed in Eventing at last summer's Olympics, and who did pretty well. Show jumping and dressage are full of horses who compete at the highest level in their teens. In fact, eight- and nine-year-olds are considered young in dressage, since it takes so long for a horse to master the Gran Prix tests.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Izvestia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 am

They start them later in those disciplines, and they certainly don't start grilling them in workouts at 2 (or even before they are officially 2).
We also don't hear as much about horses in those disciplines getting injured or "breaking down", especially before they are in the public eye and competing.
Only in racing will you have a horse out of competition for 3 years only to come back and break down...
Izvestia

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 pm

I wasn't suggesting that dressage is anywhere close to being as punishing to a horse's bones and ligaments as racing is. Just that older horses can - and do - prosper in other equestrian sports.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby WarBiscuit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Early 2017 Winners:

10yo g Newfound Gold (Newfoundland - Binntastic, by Lyphard's Wish), 1st at Fair Grounds (1/1/17). 54 - 19-16-9, $296,209.

10yo g Memphis Mobster (Memo - Sweethrtofsigmachi, by General Meeting), 1st at Portland Meadows (1/1/17). 70 - 19-10-6, $154,276. MSW.

10yo g Senator Bob (Skimming - Aloha Mangos, by Bold Badgett), 1st at Los Alamitos (1/1/17). 70 - 11-14-11, $301,127.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Placed: Becky's Kitten - 10g.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3rd: Imnocupcake - 11g, No Stadium - 11g.
Those who perished on the track in 2016:

Ticfaw (Candy Ride), 10yo g at Delta Downs (1/29/16).
Huffman (Came Home), 12yo g at Marquis Downs (5/27/16).
Georgia Glitter (Texas Glitter), 11yo g at Mountaineer (6/1/16).
Futurazo (Roaring Fever), 10yo g at Finger Lakes (7/14/16).
Da Big Dawg (Roar of the Tiger), 10yo g at Mountaineer (10/29/16).
Jo Dancer (Johannesburg), 10yo h at Mountaineer (11/20/16).
Copper Forest (Wiseman's Ferry), 10yo g at Finger Lakes (collapsed in training - DOT) (4/22/16).
Nunc Dimittis...
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
228 10+ year olds retired from racing in 2016.

Most starts (10+ year olds)in 2016: Strike a Spider - 16 , Doctor Titilo - 23, Bullfight - 15, Rosa's Catena - 13, Bear Famous Trip - 17,
Auroras Secret - 14, Electric Alphabet - 14, Sweetlandofliberty - 19, Blue Cherries Spin - 15, Fox in the House - 15,
Star of New York - 18.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Since she was 10 years old, I'll make mention of With Love Too, a QH racing at Turf Paradise who broke down after the wire and was euthanized. She had
but 1 win in 50 starts, with Earnings Per Start pegged at $43. Hard not to be a bit dis-heartened by that. RIP, With Love Too.

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

Postby genuinerizk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm

12yo Blue Cherries Spin raced today, and only beat one horse, who was eased. Hopefully this senior gets a retirement soon.
genuinerizk

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Recent Winners:

10yo g Dance Floor Maniac (Eurosilver - Dance Softly, by Tiznow), 1st at Turf Paradise (1/7/17). 93 - 21-15-16, $225,486.

11yo g Poker Dave (Full Mandate - Pleasant View, by Eskimo), 1st at Camarero (1/5/17). 76 - 14-15-13, $185,173. Stakes Winner.

10yo g Hezalotta Wanda (Valid Belfast - Wanda Woman, by Prospector's Music), 1st at Mahoning Valley (1/10/17). 90 - 18-14-11, $268,064.

10yo g Aliza's Dream (Terrell - K Girl, by Smart Strike), 1st at Mahoning Valley (1/11/17). 53 - 9-11-7, $152,976.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Placed: Wheres Cain - 11g, No Rules Now - 10g, Evening Concerto - 10g.

3rd: Barrel Knot - 10g, Barrel of Love - 10g, Partyallnightlong - 10g, Bullitone - 10h, Dance Caller - 11g, Knowurbrew - 10g.

Retired: 14yo g Engineer.

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Racing