The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Postby WarBiscuit » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

These War Horses, most having raced in 2017, have thankfully been retired healthy and sound. Some have gone to new permanent homes, while others have been
placed with groups that will try to find them new and less stressful careers.

11yo g Fiesty Day (Storm Day). Retired to Lone Star Outreach Program.

10yo m Merry Berry (Louis Quatorze). Retired from Camarero and returned to her birthplace in the US. CTA.

11yo g No Stadium (Gone West). Retired November, 2017, to CANTER, Colorado.

11yo g Poker Dave (Full Mandate). aka "Georgie", retired from Camarero and returned to his birthplace in Ocala, now living with his 25yo dam, Pleasant View! CTA.

11yo g Sweetlandofliberty (Anasheed). aka "Sam", retired from Camarero and returned to the US. To Exceller Fund Racing Warrior Program. CTA.

11yo g Ugottabcatty (Jazzing Around). Retired from Camarero, and returned to the US. CTA.

11yo g Rodriguito ((Laurentide). Retired from Camarero and returned to the US. To Exceller Fund Racing Warrior Program. CTA.

10yo g Ender's Universe (Giant's Causeway). Retired from Camarero and returned to his birthplace in the US, Green Lantern Stables. CTA.

10yo g Johannesburg Smile (Johannesburg). Retired to Old Friends, Kentucky.

11yo h Lord of Greatness (Greatness). Retired to stud duty at Stonewall Prestige Stallions.

10yo g Victor Spider (Wild and Wicked). Retired from Camarero and returned to his birthplace, Fallbrook Farm, Kentucky. CTA.

10yo m Square Grouper (Wildcat Heir). Retired November, 2017, to CANTER, Pennsylvania.

12yo g No Brakes (Parker's Storm Cat). Retired February, 2017, to MARE for a new career.

11yo g Mission Gap (Speightstown). Retired July, 2017, to CANTER, Pennsylvania.

10yo g Royal F J (Royal Academy). Retired by his trainer to a good home.

12yo m Double Shadow (Sligo Bay). Available for adoption, CANTER, Ohio.

12yo g Fox in the House (Free House). One of the last racing sons of Free House, finally retired to leisure.

11yo g Helicopter (Three Wonders). The old warrior calls it a day with 30 wins from 94 starts!

12yo g Look Out Man (Van Nistelrooy). Available for adoption at CANTER, Kentucky.

12yo g Bartletts (Mr. Greeley). Retired to Michalson farm in Columbia, MO, with 23 wins from 111 starts and nearly a half million in his saddle bag.

12yo g Native Britches (Native Factor). Retired November 2017, to CANTER, Michigan, 109 - 20-20-20.

10yo h Lubash (Freud). Retired in August, 2017, by Christoph Clement.

10yo g Saratoga Boot (Storm Boot). Retired by his trainer to an Ohio farm for a try at a new career.

11yo h Awesome Actor (Awesome Again). Tried to return to racing at Charles Town after a 7 year layoff, but was banned and returned to owners Maryland Farm.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

May these Warriors have a well deserved happy, healthy and long retirement. And many thanks to every single person and organization involved in helping them to a
soft landing, especially the CANTER groups, and those splendid souls at Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare. What a remarkable job they have done in the wake of disaster. Without their efforts, many of these horses would undoubtedly have appeared in the RIP columns...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby genuinerizk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:22 am

Wonderful to see the above list - hopefully they are all blessed with safe, happy retirements. One to add to the list - 9 yo Lady of Rivendell was claimed out of her 101st race by a wonderful group of ladies that were concerned she was running almost every week, usually finishing poorly. She was retired and rehomed through New Vocations and adopted by a wonderfully loving new owner and we may see her in the 2018 RRP!
genuinerizk

Postby WarBiscuit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Recent Winners:

12yo g Dance Caller (Concorde's Tune - Call Me Dancer, by Gate Dancer), 1st at Fair Grounds (1/4/18). 78 - 16-17-15, $353,559. SW.

10yo g Toccets Charm (Toccet - Ruler's Charm, by Cape Town), 1st at Turf Paradise (12/31/17). 88 - 22-17-14, $267,573. SW.

10yo g Big Tall Paul (Big Country - Abolinna, by King of Kings), 1st at Turf Paradise (12/23/17). 78 - 13-10-13, $271,895. SP.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: My Charming Clyde - 10g, Grand Slam Andre - 10g, Toccets Charm - 10g.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Electric Alphabet - 11g, Frisky Ricky - 11g, Miracle in May - 10m, Bank Account - 10g, Carr Creek - 10g, Woodmans Luck - 10g.

Hurricane survivor Princesa Dorada, a 12yo mare, has reappeared and will run Sunday (1/7/18) at Camarero in Race 6. Still trying to locate these older Camarero
runners: 11yo g Valued Assets, 11yo g Knowurbrew, 12yo g Gato Paso, 12yo m La Comeriena, 11yo m Quiet Girl
11yo g Mi Nieto Wil, 11yo g Reservado, and 13yo m Worthy of Wings.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby bare it all » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm

I don't see a name I heard what seemed like EVERY week in 2011 on TVG running in Florida... ALISA'S ENGINEER. I remember putting him in my stable to follow him along because he wasn't running "cheap" by Florida standards, but man, was he running alot. He ran on again into 2012 what seemed like every other week and he did pretty well! He moved around a bit, too. Didn't stick to one track. Claimers, allowance races. He did it all. He was like clockwork... 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. I thought he was done after that year because he ran in the fall and then didn't come back again. Then he popped up in my box in mid 2016 and off he went again running through the winter. Then he disappeared again and re-emerged in the summer of 2017! He was definitely a little slower, the competition a little less this year.

Back in late October I saw him entered again at the $5000 price at Mountaineer. He'd race there a few times already and had won once earlier in the fall. He'd finished midpack a few weeks before in at the same level and was just even in the race. He's 9, not getting any younger and this was race #118. I figured he was done and would probably finish 5th or 6th or so again.

HE WON. The old man won. I was so proud of him, like he was my very own. I nearly cried... I really, really hoped that was his swan song.

It was. http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... -engineer/

He finished his career with a line of 118: 15-16-18 and earning of $200,966. Thank you to his owner/trainers the Shanyfelts for knowing Al deserved to go out a winner. I hope whoever gets him takes the best of care of him and he lives out his days happy and fat and sassy.
bare it all

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Well, it didn't take too long to lose the first War Horse of the year. 12yo g Electric Alphabet (Alphabet Soup), an often mentioned warrior on this thread fell at the top
of the stretch in Race 6 at Mahoning Valley today, and was euthanized. Another horse, 6yo g Venture Road fell over Electric Alphabet - no word on him yet, but probably not good.

Electric Alphabet (Alphabet Soup - All Electric, by Grand Slam). 83 - 13-11-15, 223,691. Stakes Placed. Rest easy, old boy.

Sometimes, I really dislike this sport.

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:Well, it didn't take too long to lose the first War Horse of the year. 12yo g Electric Alphabet (Alphabet Soup), an often mentioned warrior on this thread fell at the top
of the stretch in Race 6 at Mahoning Valley today, and was euthanized. Another horse, 6yo g Venture Road fell over Electric Alphabet - no word on him yet, but probably not good.

Electric Alphabet (Alphabet Soup - All Electric, by Grand Slam). 83 - 13-11-15, 223,691. Stakes Placed. Rest easy, old boy.

WarBiscuit

His running line says it all. Raced 15 times last year without a win. It's getting harder to keep the faith. Rest in peace, old warrior. And shame on all who let this happen.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

bare it all wrote:I don't see a name I heard what seemed like EVERY week in 2011 on TVG running in Florida... ALISA'S ENGINEER. I remember putting him in my stable to follow him along because he wasn't running "cheap" by Florida standards, but man, was he running alot. He ran on again into 2012 what seemed like every other week and he did pretty well! He moved around a bit, too. Didn't stick to one track. Claimers, allowance races. He did it all. He was like clockwork... 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. I thought he was done after that year because he ran in the fall and then didn't come back again. Then he popped up in my box in mid 2016 and off he went again running through the winter. Then he disappeared again and re-emerged in the summer of 2017! He was definitely a little slower, the competition a little less this year.

Back in late October I saw him entered again at the $5000 price at Mountaineer. He'd race there a few times already and had won once earlier in the fall. He'd finished midpack a few weeks before in at the same level and was just even in the race. He's 9, not getting any younger and this was race #118. I figured he was done and would probably finish 5th or 6th or so again.

HE WON. The old man won. I was so proud of him, like he was my very own. I nearly cried... I really, really hoped that was his swan song.

It was. http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofi ... -engineer/

He finished his career with a line of 118: 15-16-18 and earning of $200,966. Thank you to his owner/trainers the Shanyfelts for knowing Al deserved to go out a winner. I hope whoever gets him takes the best of care of him and he lives out his days happy and fat and sassy.

OHHH my = Happy tears here! o very thankful that he is well and retired = THANKS!
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby bare it all » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:Well, it didn't take too long to lose the first War Horse of the year. 12yo g Electric Alphabet (Alphabet Soup), an often mentioned warrior on this thread fell at the top

WarBiscuit

I was unfortunately watching. I never watch TVG on Mondays... but they closed the office yesterday and I was home and had TVG on for background noise and Mahoning was really all there was on.

Sucks. He and I shared a birthday. He'd been with Tracey Wisner for a while - March 2012. I'm sure she loved him. Spiess runs cheap horses, but that's just MVR.

Rest easy, you old grey warrior.
bare it all

Postby WarBiscuit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 pm

The day has arrived, and 10yo h Forest Mouse finds himself moved over to the War Horse thread. This Sunday he begins his 2018 campaign at Sunland Park entered in the Winsham Lad Handicap seeking his 4th consecutive win of this race. Save for the Zia Park Sprint in November, Forest Mouse had a fine 2017 and hopefully the aging legs can carry him safely through another season. Outside of his Southwest territory, he seems to be a very underappreciated horse. One of the very best of the hard-knockers, he'll be looking to hit that million dollar mark. Go get 'em, Mouse!

Winsham Lad H. - Sunland Park - Sunday, January 14th - $65,000 Purse - 1 Mile - Race 9 - 3:50 pm.

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

Postby WarBiscuit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 pm

First Winners of the new year:

11yo g Small Town (Ecton Park - Won Perfect Rose, by Air Forbes Won), 1st at Camarero (1/6/18). 139 - 22-24-18, $297,946.

10yo g Top Prospect (Stormy Atlantic - Strike Me Lucky, by Smart Strike), 1st at Laurel Park (1/8/18). 60 - 8-14-13, $410,688. MSP.

10yo g Smack Ridge (Cactus Ridge - Smack Madam, by Victory Gallop), 1st at Sunland Park (1/9/18). 53 - 13-7-10, $328,061. SW.

10yo g Zoe's Cajun (Lucky Pulpit - She's Cajun, by Lord Avie), 1st at Turf Paradise (1/9/18). 66 - 14-11-13, $95,022.

10yo g Bob's Gone Wild (Mutakddim - On The Wild Side, by Mountain Cat), 1st at Delta Downs (1/5/18). 74 - 13-12-7, $226,736.

Placed: Lucky Lotto - 10g, City Sage - 10g, Ontheshadyside - 10g.

3rd: No Rain No Rainbow - 10g, Bullitone - 11h, Credit Report - 11g, Becky's Kitten - 11g.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Missing Camarero horses that have recently shown up in the entries include 13yo m Worthy of Wings, 12yo g Gato Paso,
12yo m Princesa Dorada and 13yo g Concertos Song. Happy that they still exist - not happy to see them racing again.

An old timer that doesn't race too well, 10yo g Competitive Sport, is back for another season at Portland Meadows. In his 54 career starts, he has never won
a race and has accrued a paltry $12,698. Maybe time for a less stressful job? Good luck to him.

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Racing