Why Bother NYRA?

stark

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:04 pm

There's an olde saying "You Can't Fight Mother Nature"
the question is why does NYRA keep trying?

Just cancel the damn card when races become unplayable for the folks putting their wages through the windows.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm

I suspect that the owners, trainers, jockeys, grooms, stewards, gate crew, pony riders, medical staff, track maintenance workers, vendors, betting window staff, security, camera crew, cleaning staff and parking attendants might not agree with you. No racing = no income.
ElPrado2

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Oh, Baroque, you're making sense again. Gotta watch that on a board.
stark

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm
I suspect that the owners, trainers, jockeys, grooms, stewards, gate crew, pony riders, medical staff, track maintenance workers, vendors, betting window staff, security, camera crew, cleaning staff and parking attendants might not agree with you. No racing = no income.
House painters, construction crews, roofers, landscapers, highway maintenance, Major League Baseball operations, Pro Golfers, etc. would all understand perfectly, their work gets cancelled all the time.
RugbyGirl

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Two racedays in New Zealand were cancelled over the weekend due to unsafe (inconsistent) track conditions. One was cancelled completely and one was postponed to today.

Problem is we don't have any dirt/synthetic tracks, all our tracks are turf, so as the seasons change from winter to spring the tracks go from saturated to dry and some tracks don't handle it as well as others.

But if the tracks are holding up okay the only reason racing is cancelled in New Zealand would be poor visibility
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
stark

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Do you ever have fields of 12 entries or so that scratch down 4 because of folks don't like the surface due to weather?
RugbyGirl

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Do you ever have fields of 12 entries or so that scratch down 4 because of folks don't like the surface due to weather?
Yes. Not often as most trainers watch the forecasts carefully but it does happen
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
stark

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am

Just have to wonder why the racing secretary continues to card turf races?

When were today's races drawn, maybe Monday of this week?

The news of the wet weather was in all the papers and all the TV channels,

what were they thinking?
thinair

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:14 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am
Just have to wonder why the racing secretary continues to card turf races?

When were today's races drawn, maybe Monday of this week?

The news of the wet weather was in all the papers and all the TV channels,

what were they thinking?
I realize your posts are fishing expeditions, but for some factual information, today's card was drawn on Sunday ( the day we basically always draw Friday cards except for Saratoga ) when the weather forecast called for 30 to 40% chance of rain on Thursday, and nowhere near the rain we got.

We've gotten extraordinarily unlucky with weather, having lost 49 turf races through 24 racing days. I guess that's our fault. Who knew.

I find off-the-turf races to frequently offer great betting value and good opportunities. If you don't, you certainly have the option to play elsewhere....or bitch about it on the internet. Whatever floats your boat.
stark

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 pm

thinair wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:14 pm

I realize your posts are fishing expeditions,
NOT

I find off-the-turf races to frequently offer great betting value and good opportunities. If you don't, you certainly have the option to play elsewhere....or bitch about it on the internet. Whatever floats your boat.
Just FYI.....while the opportunities work well for you I understand that and am happy for you, but just so you know.....I'm a big fan of on-line contests where they typically consist of 8-10 races from a couple of tracks and all the selections have to be input before the first race is run. I'm allowed one selection per race and one alternate in case of a scratch. A couple of times now I've wound up with zero horses running in a contest race, ain't no way in hell I can win spotting the other lucky guys a couple of races. It really does give Pick 'n Pray a whole new meaning.
thinair

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:25 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Just FYI.....while the opportunities work well for you I understand that and am happy for you, but just so you know.....I'm a big fan of on-line contests where they typically consist of 8-10 races from a couple of tracks and all the selections have to be input before the first race is run. I'm allowed one selection per race and one alternate in case of a scratch. A couple of times now I've wound up with zero horses running in a contest race, ain't no way in hell I can win spotting the other lucky guys a couple of races. It really does give Pick 'n Pray a whole new meaning.
As an FYI....we have taken the races off the turf well before the card has started the vast majority of the time, so this doesn't make a lot of sense.
stark

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

My Picks have been updated for scratches.

Just try and imagine your life without having the ability to do that, and it'll all make more sense.

Working man.
thinair

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:06 pm

stark wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 pm
Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

My Picks have been updated for scratches.

Just try and imagine your life without having the ability to do that, and it'll all make more sense.

Working man.
More stupidity. The races were taken off the turf before 8am and I tweeted out the scratches, and we know you follow me on Twitter, shortly after 10am, as I do every racing day.

As I pretty much always do when rain is expected, I had posted Turf and Dirt picks for the Turf races the day before. As is usually the case, none of my top picks on the dirt were scratched. As a service, I clean up those picks and fill in any races where there were scratches. Sorry if this is offensive to you.
stark

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:31 pm

thinair wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:06 pm

More stupidity...... Sorry if this is offensive to you.

I never said it was offensive, if anything I'm jealous of your ability to post turf or dirt picks for a race and then adjust accordingly after scratches.

As I previously mentioned, I enter full card contests early in the day, I get two shots per race and that's it.

I don't take time off of work to go back and adjust my picks, nor do the contest rules allow it once the first race is run.

My one and only point was WHY does the racing secretary continue writing so many turf races with inclement weather at hand, which you don't seem to be bothered by.

Different strokes.