Jockey Club Gold Cup Sept. 29 at Belmont

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:32 pm

More than any other race leading up to the BC Classic, IMO the 10-furlong JCGC could provide up us with a good idea of who will be competitive in the Classic. I know we don't have the whole field yet, but it's looking very interesting so far with horses like Diversify, Gronkowski, Mendelssohn and Thunder Snow in town for the race.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... -gold-cup/
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... d-cup-bid/
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... -gold-cup/
Belmont's Super Saturday will also include stakes like the G1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic which Arlington Million winner Robert Bruce is targeting.
Treve

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 pm

I haven't been this excited for the JCGC in a long time and it's usually one of my favourites.
Gotta root for my boy Mendy, but this is definitely a spicy renewal!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Bloodhorse has posted an article detailing the TV and radio coverage for this weekend's big races from Belmont and Santa Anita.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -busy-week
I was disappointed to see that there is no major TV coverage for the racing from Belmont. I had hoped to see some of the races featured on one of Fox's sports channels, but it looks like the coverage is limited to MSG+, which I don't get...and I don't think as many fans get that channel as the Fox stations like FSN, FSN2 or Prime Ticket.
NBCSN is showing the racing from Santa Anita, including the Awesome Again; maybe we'll get lucky and it will show replays of Belmont races like the JCGC?
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinair

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:43 pm

You can watch the coverage on nyra.com and the NYRA Now app....both are in HD.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for that info. I can't make use of them, but I'm sure others on here can.
Treve

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 pm

the NYRA stream usually adapts to your bandwidth and speed. It's worth giving it a try! I don't have the app but the online stream has been really enjoyable the last two years in particular.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Izvestia

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:11 pm

Diversify has been training huge, I cannot look past him.
Also, I’m rooting for only geldings from now on, they don’t get prematurely retired for no reason!
Northport

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Also, I’m rooting for only geldings from now on, they don’t get prematurely retired for no reason!
I've been trying that for a while. But great geldings are few and far between. I can't help but find myself missing Shared Belief an awful lot.
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm

The field drew as follows:

1. Carlino
2. Gronkowski
3. Mendelssohn
4. Patch
5. Una Mas Modelo
6. Diversify
7. Discreet Lover
8. Thunder Snow
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Ryan Moore relishing challenge of conquering America with Mendelssohn
https://www.racinguk.com/news/ryan-moor ... endelssohn
The three-time British champion jockey has never ridden the winner of the Middle Park, nor the Cambridgeshire, which form as the centrepieces alongside the Cheveley Park to Saturday’s stellar card at Newmarket.

But instead of trying to add the prizes to his glittering CV - he could have ridden the odds-on Ten Sovereigns in the Juddmonte Middle Park and chosen from three Aidan O'Brien challengers in the Cheveley park - Moore will instead partner Mendelssohn in the Jockey Club Gold Cup at Belmont Park.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm not disputing that Ryan Moore is an internationally-renowned champion rider, but...
Does anyone else wish that Aiden had tapped a top NY jockey who is intimately familiar with Big Sandy and its challenges to ride Mendelssohn?
Curtis

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
I'm not disputing that Ryan Moore is an internationally-renowned champion rider, but...
Does anyone else wish that Aiden had tapped a top NY jockey who is intimately familiar with Big Sandy and its challenges to ride Mendelssohn?
The challenges lie in the competition. If Mendelssohn’s good enough, he’ll win. If he were a closer whose move needed to be timed to perfection, the jock may be of more consequence. In Mendelssohn’s case he’ll be forwardly placed and the real question will be if he can keep up with Diversify when the real running starts. If he can’t, a resurrection of Eddie Arcaro, Bill Shoemaker or Johnny Longden won’t help.
Treve

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't know. Personally I think the 'challenges' of Big Sandy might be less of a problem to foreign invaders in terms of the track itself because they tend to have differently configured tracks from one course to the next. I think it's more of a challenge to Americans because it differs from the typical 1 mile oval format and can therefore create problems with timing and placement and optical illusions because you're spending more time in the turns, the turns are big and sweeping which can fudge with your perception of the race's progression depending on what type of reference points you are using. And of course going wide (although I will say the Belmont's configuration actually gives less of an advantage to horses running on the inside because the inside part of the turns aren't as tight as on a 1 mile track). European jockeys I am guessing do not base their timings on the same things US jockeys do, consequently because the points of reference will be different. I'd venture that they likely pay more attention to the distance markers.

Even Thunder Snow is getting his regular rider, Soumillon.

Never hurts to have a jockey with wins over the track of course, but from the perspective of the trainer who would you trust, not knowing them personally with this colt to be ridden in the way you want him ridden and is available?
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Curtis wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:05 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
The challenges lie in the competition. If Mendelssohn’s good enough, he’ll win. If he were a closer whose move needed to be timed to perfection, the jock may be of more consequence. In Mendelssohn’s case he’ll be forwardly placed and the real question will be if he can keep up with Diversify when the real running starts. If he can’t, a resurrection of Eddie Arcaro, Bill Shoemaker or Johnny Longden won’t help.
He might sit back just off the pace if Moore's words are to be given any weight. But yes agreed, Belmont is usually kind to horses on the front or close/just off the front than to closers.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:10 pm

KInda surprising Baffert didn't ship somebody in for the easy money ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Could his barn be a little light right now, as far as ten-furlong horses? IIRC, Collected returned last week and collected very little purse money, and West Coast is running in the Awesome Again tomorrow.
Who else is in Bsquared's barn that would have been a decent addition to the JCGC?
Starine

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Totally did not expect to see Toast of New York here. First time gelding; first run since the Pegasus.
Mylute

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:18 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:49 pm
Could his barn be a little light right now, as far as ten-furlong horses? IIRC, Collected returned last week and collected very little purse money, and West Coast is running in the Awesome Again tomorrow.
Who else is in Bsquared's barn that would have been a decent addition to the JCGC?
Uhh..let’s see...uh...Solomini?

Wait, he’s just now back from a vacation at Ashford.

Hoppertunity?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Hoppertunity would have been the perfect horse to ship east, even a year ago. I'm sorry to say he's probably not a G1 stakes horse anymore.
Horsebagger

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Izvestia wrote:
The two horses showing they are most likely to run top races to my eyes have been Diversify and Thunder Snow. Specifically, Thunder Snow looked like a horse sitting on go yesterday morning in a simple gallop over the main track. If he takes to the surface (no idea yet if it will be wet or dry), I think he's a win threat.