Hurricane Related News

BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Just watched ex-racehorse Donner, ridden by USA's Lynn Symansky, complete a clear cross-country round a few seconds under the time. Puts them into 3rd overall. :D
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Well, I didn't watch every single minute, but I never heard a word about the Endurance competition. :roll:
Pretty sure NBC didn't really want to touch that subject with a ten-foot lunge whip. :P
The delayed show jumping for Eventing is on tomorrow on the Olympic channel. Congrats if you have that niche channel; I don't.
Starine

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Endurance legend Donna Snyder-Smith wrote this on Facebook and I think it really hits the nail on the head:
The endurance debacle at Tryon this week was an insult to the sport and clear proof of what the AERC has maintained for more than 15 (20?) years now: that "International" endurance is NOT endurance as the AERC defines the discipline, but rather it is "endurance racing." Unfortunately, the FEI certainly tipped their hand to that fact with their officials latest decision to cancel the endurance event at the World Games in Tryon. Most of you know that the UAE has turned endurance riding into endurance racing, dominating the international competitions by using primarily flat "tracks" 100 miles long (in the desert) and just running/galloping their horses till they drop (literally sometimes despite the supervision) or win.

A true endurance ride is not so much a contest of horse (speed) against horse (speed): it is not a game of "checkers," with restricted elements, but rather a game of "chess" wherein, while speed will determine the horse declared the winner in the end, the complex elements demanding decisions from each rider such as topography, weather, footing, light, etc. (to say nothing of the rider's need to be able to accurately evaluate or "read" where their horse is both physically and mentally at any given moment during a ride and alter ride strategy instantly to enable the horse to finish the ride) all demand a master strategist and not just a jockey (no disrespect meant to jockeys, but a flat track jockey needs to make far fewer decision during a race than does a steeplechase jockey, for example).

When the "flat track" horses at Tryon, ran "out of gas" there were other horses still in the event which, having been ridden "correctly" (i.e. within the parameters demanded by the heat, humidity, distance, footing,delays, etc. of the day) who were still well within a comfortable (safe) physical condition range could and should have been allowed to finish. THOSE horses, had the FEI allowed the ride to continue should have been declared the medal winners of the event. Which fact does cast great suspicion on the "politically correct" reason of "horse safety" which was given as the true (and primary) reason for the cancellation of the event. Unfortunately, the backers of the "flat track" entries make (or have in the past) significant $$$ contributions to the FEI, so the decision to call the ride off at the point where most if not all (?) of the horses who were simply galloped from wire to wire were obviously not going to be able to win is WAY too "coincidental for many of us to swallow.

It is also a shame, since there is a VAST difference between endurance RACING (as it is practiced today at the international level) and endurance RIDING, as it has been promoted and practiced for the most part much of the time in the United States (and some other countries as well). The first is a contest of limited interest (at best). The second type of contest speaks to centuries of knowledge of the horse, the competency of the man or woman riding the animal, the covenant of care between those two beings and the challenges nature and circumstances throw at you without notice or warning and how each rider (and horse) can and does handle ALL of those elements to arrive (not JUST first), but SOUND, having TRIUMPHED over ALL of those challenges along the way (which, in my opinion is the reason that endurance above all other horse disciplines deserves to have its place in the Olympics)!

It also speaks to the motto of our own AERC "To Finish Is To Win." While speed is not precluded in such a test, it is not just a mindless, default setting. I'll finish by quoting a well-recognized name in endurance riding. It was Valerie Kanavy who once said: "In order to win, one must first FINISH!"
'

This is why so many of us in the endurance community hate FEI. The Middle Eastern riders and sponsors line their pockets and they just look the other way while cheating and abuse reigns.
djnorth

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 am

RE: Donner. I like to look up pedigrees etc. for OTTB when they appear in other disciplines. According to some articles I saw, Donner ran under the name Smart Gorky and earned about $2900 in six starts. According to Pedigree Query, the horse is by Gorky Park out of Smart Jane by Smarten. Fourth dam is White Lie (Bald Eagle) and third dam Hippodamia (top-rated Timeform and French 2yo filly, I think). Produced SW Globe by Secretariat. Nice family (Your Hostess).

FWIW.
Delamont

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

djnorth wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 am
RE: Donner. I like to look up pedigrees etc. for OTTB when they appear in other disciplines. According to some articles I saw, Donner ran under the name Smart Gorky and earned about $2900 in six starts. According to Pedigree Query, the horse is by Gorky Park out of Smart Jane by Smarten. Fourth dam is White Lie (Bald Eagle) and third dam Hippodamia (top-rated Timeform and French 2yo filly, I think). Produced SW Globe by Secretariat. Nice family (Your Hostess).

FWIW.
It was mentioned during NBC coverage. Pretty cool.
Treve

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 am

Starine wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 pm
Endurance legend Donna Snyder-Smith wrote this on Facebook and I think it really hits the nail on the head:
The endurance debacle at Tryon this week was an insult to the sport and clear proof of what the AERC has maintained for more than 15 (20?) years now: that "International" endurance is NOT endurance as the AERC defines the discipline, but rather it is "endurance racing." Unfortunately, the FEI certainly tipped their hand to that fact with their officials latest decision to cancel the endurance event at the World Games in Tryon. Most of you know that the UAE has turned endurance riding into endurance racing, dominating the international competitions by using primarily flat "tracks" 100 miles long (in the desert) and just running/galloping their horses till they drop (literally sometimes despite the supervision) or win.

A true endurance ride is not so much a contest of horse (speed) against horse (speed): it is not a game of "checkers," with restricted elements, but rather a game of "chess" wherein, while speed will determine the horse declared the winner in the end, the complex elements demanding decisions from each rider such as topography, weather, footing, light, etc. (to say nothing of the rider's need to be able to accurately evaluate or "read" where their horse is both physically and mentally at any given moment during a ride and alter ride strategy instantly to enable the horse to finish the ride) all demand a master strategist and not just a jockey (no disrespect meant to jockeys, but a flat track jockey needs to make far fewer decision during a race than does a steeplechase jockey, for example).

When the "flat track" horses at Tryon, ran "out of gas" there were other horses still in the event which, having been ridden "correctly" (i.e. within the parameters demanded by the heat, humidity, distance, footing,delays, etc. of the day) who were still well within a comfortable (safe) physical condition range could and should have been allowed to finish. THOSE horses, had the FEI allowed the ride to continue should have been declared the medal winners of the event. Which fact does cast great suspicion on the "politically correct" reason of "horse safety" which was given as the true (and primary) reason for the cancellation of the event. Unfortunately, the backers of the "flat track" entries make (or have in the past) significant $$$ contributions to the FEI, so the decision to call the ride off at the point where most if not all (?) of the horses who were simply galloped from wire to wire were obviously not going to be able to win is WAY too "coincidental for many of us to swallow.

It is also a shame, since there is a VAST difference between endurance RACING (as it is practiced today at the international level) and endurance RIDING, as it has been promoted and practiced for the most part much of the time in the United States (and some other countries as well). The first is a contest of limited interest (at best). The second type of contest speaks to centuries of knowledge of the horse, the competency of the man or woman riding the animal, the covenant of care between those two beings and the challenges nature and circumstances throw at you without notice or warning and how each rider (and horse) can and does handle ALL of those elements to arrive (not JUST first), but SOUND, having TRIUMPHED over ALL of those challenges along the way (which, in my opinion is the reason that endurance above all other horse disciplines deserves to have its place in the Olympics)!

It also speaks to the motto of our own AERC "To Finish Is To Win." While speed is not precluded in such a test, it is not just a mindless, default setting. I'll finish by quoting a well-recognized name in endurance riding. It was Valerie Kanavy who once said: "In order to win, one must first FINISH!"
'

This is why so many of us in the endurance community hate FEI. The Middle Eastern riders and sponsors line their pockets and they just look the other way while cheating and abuse reigns.
The fact that two spanish riders and a Frenchman were ahead when the competition was cancelled speaks volumes. Why should they be penalized when they took into account the conditions (and heck everyone knew it would be in South Carolina, the weather was not out of the norm for that region) and judiciously rode their horses in accordance, just because some spoiled desert riders didn't train and condition their horses in consequence, and didn't even try to ride them adequately. AERC isn't the only organisation that has lobbied for separating the sport but FEI is weak for all that Meydan money. The Emiratis love to buy championships like this... part of the real test of endurance for horse and rider alike is the capacity to adapt to different conditions and contexts. That the UAE top the world rankings is partly because they host so many of the FEI sanctioned competitions, and not many foreigners are interested in their form of endurance racing as opposed to endurance riding in Europe or North America.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm

The US Show Jumping Team took the gold at Tryon after a jump-off. Unfortunately, I can't find any TV coverage of either today's event or tomorrow's individual jumping competition. :(

U.S. Showjumping Team Delivers First World Title At Tryon
The United States delivered a first world team title as they triumphed in a dramatic finale to Friday's Bank of America Merrill Lynch Jumping Championship at the FEI World Equestrian Games™ Tryon 2018 (WEG) at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC).
The U.S. Trust Arena rocked to its rafters as McLain Ward powered the host nation home after a head-to-head jump-off, the first in team Jumping history to do so at an FEI World Equestrian Games™, against Sweden, which was required to decide gold medal glory.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... -at-tryon/
Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:56 am

I guess this belongs in this thread. It has a little more info than I've seen before.

What Happened at the 2018 WEG Endurance Championship?
Medals in each of the Fédération Equestre Internationale’s (FEI) eight disciplines are awarded at the 2018 World Equestrian Games (WEG), which wrapped up at the Tryon International Equestrian Center, in Mill Spring, North Carolina, over the weekend.

Make that seven disciplines.

The very first competition to get underway at the FEI WEG Tryon 2018 on Sept. 12, endurance, suffered delays and chaos at the start, was hastily revamped into a shortened version of the race, and, within hours, was canceled altogether.

Officials with the FEI cited three primary reasons for the cancellation:

- A sudden brief downpour that made the Blue Ridge Mountain foothills of North Carolina feel like a torrid jungle after Mother Nature turned off the spigot and the late-summer sun emerged with a vengeance;
- An unusually high number of horses exhibiting signs of metabolic issues; and
- Deteriorated footing conditions on the trail following the rainstorm that required even more exertion from the endurance horses.

The FEI works with British researcher David Marlin, PhD, who has conducted studies for the organization regarding heat and humidity’s effects on horse welfare since the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games.

During the WEG endurance ride, Marlin “provided the Ground Jury with data from the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) index which showed a reading of 31. Anything over 25 is monitored very closely, and the officials agreed unanimously that 31 presented an unacceptable risk to horse welfare,” an FEI statement said.

The WBGT index is different from the heat index your local meteorologist might refer to in forecasts. The heat index assesses the combined effects of temperature and humidity in shady areas, while the WBGT index is a measure of heat stress in direct sunlight and also takes into account wind speed, cloud cover, and sun angle, according to the U.S. National Weather Service. The WBGT index temperatures in the FEI statement are expressed in degrees Celsius; a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius equals 77 degrees Fahrenheit, while a reading of 31 degrees Celsius equates to 87.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

The morning of September 12, weather and conditions for the endurance competition “looked good, it looked [like] what we expected; it followed the prognosis,” FEI Veterinary Director Göran Akerström, DVM, said during a Sept. 14 press conference. “But then we had the heavy rainfall, and suddenly we were without the cloud cover. Without the cloud cover in combination with the heavy rain, we had an extremely rapid development of the wet bulb global temperature, from 26, 27, up to 31. You could really feel it when you were standing there; it was extremely humid. This was also something we saw on the horses. If you have such conditions, there is no way that the horse can cool down.”

The extreme heat, said Akerström, took everyone by surprise.

“We did a climate study in advance; we looked back three years,” he said. “That was the basis of moving the Games two weeks into September (from the August dates set when the 2018 WEG was originally awarded to Bromont, Canada).”

Continual climatic monitoring before and during the 2018 WEG, unfortunately, failed to predict the weather this summer.
More: https://thehorse.com/160866/what-happen ... mpionship/
stark

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 am

Be safe Floridians.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
ElPrado2

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:08 am

Lucky again.
Tampa Bay steers most of the hurricanes out to sea here in Tampa. St Pete, Clearwater and Sarasota can fend for themselves.There are 3 river mouths that make Tampa Bay get through storms easier. Tampa itself doesn't suffer as much as the rest of this area.