Trials and Tribulations of Mick Ruis

stark

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:02 am

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social

Owner/trainer leaving sunny southern California for the friendly confines of Pennsylvania.
Turning over training duties to daughter Shelbe.
Number one jock not yet identified.

And as always, the readers comment section at Bloodhorse doesn't let us down......
"we need more guys like Ruis and fewer guys like Stronach and Baffert"
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:59 am

stark wrote:

Owner/trainer leaving sunny southern California for the friendly confines of Pennsylvania.

And as always, the readers comment section at Bloodhorse doesn't let us down......
Yeah there's tons and tons of people who find every chance they can to complain about Baffert.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Diver52

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:36 am

I never got the Ruis love. All that feel-good garbage about buying millions of dollars' worth of horses to get his daughter launched--apparently just a front.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Northport

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Diver52 wrote:
I never got the Ruis love. All that feel-good garbage about buying millions of dollars' worth of horses to get his daughter launched--apparently just a front.
And he was very quick to pull all of the horses from her when the going got tough. Never really warmed up to his story, though I did like that he transferred Bolt to Assmussen.

Not sure how pulling his broodmares and stallions from California will affect Santa Anita and the too few stalls they're giving him, but he reminds me of Ron Paolucci. Picking up his toys and going home.

Thank goodness he told us how much his home in Arcadia cost.
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Northport wrote:
...he reminds me of Ron Paolucci. Picking up his toys and going home.

Thank goodness he told us how much his home in Arcadia cost.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Curtis

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 pm

stark wrote:

The greatest line in the comment section was something along the lines of Ruis's horses would get stalls if he transferred them to Baffert. As I mentioned in the comment section for the Del Mar Futurity article, if you don't like the way Baffert handles his stock, don't give him any horses. The person doing most of the complaining seemed upset that TVG focussed so much attention on the two Baffert's that the odds on the horse he liked, Rowayton, ended up drifting to 8-1. I guess he wanted lower odds on a horse that didn't win anyway. People be crazy.
Flanders

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Northport wrote:
Diver52 wrote:
And he was very quick to pull all of the horses from her when the going got tough.
I thought he pulled them when the going got good. She had won the G1 Del Mar Debutante with Union Strike not long, maybe just days, before he pulled the horses. At the time I figured it was because he wanted to be the trainer on paper for Union Strike at the BC. But the filly ended up running under Craig Dollase as trainer at the BC.
Northport

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 pm

I meant tough in the sense that he seemed to have a disagreement with Shelbe, causing him to take the horses away. Not that Shelbe was having a tough time getting the job done/getting results. In that sense, things seemed to be going well.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 am

Question-

What do you think it is that makes people like Ruis so much? I don't actively dislike him myself, but I also don't really care for him; I liked Shelbe better (not just because she's a woman).

Is it because he isn't Baffert or Pletcher?
Curtis

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Mylute wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 am
Question-

What do you think it is that makes people like Ruis so much? I don't actively dislike him myself, but I also don't really care for him; I liked Shelbe better (not just because she's a woman).

Is it because he isn't Baffert or Pletcher?
I don’t actively like or dislike any trainer because for the most part I don’t know them. I figure they’re all doing their jobs the way they know how. Baffert and Pletcher are lightning rods for dislike because their horses don’t last and a horse has gotta last to have a FB page.😉 Seriously though, Baffert and TAP have similar goals, to make breeding stock and to win Classics. To do the latter, you’ve got to really push a horse, many times to it’s detriment, and that will lead to a short career. What I’ve noticed on the BH board, is that a handy trainer will be championed as the anti-Baffert or TAP. A couple of years ago Art Sherman was the horse whisperer du jour because of Chrome. The Chrommies seem to be silent as Faversham gets thrown to the wolves once a month or so, but I digress. There is a woman who is on the BH board constantly who hates Baffert. She’s used many different names over the years as she gets banned often, but the retorhic never changes. After Baffert won the Ballerina with that filly who used to be with Bob Hess Jr. she opined that Hess was a much superior Horseman to Baffert. I have no problem with Hess, but I don’t find any perceived superiority in that vein to be noteworthy if at all existent. Ruis is the latest anti- Baffert, and really these trainers are just being used by the crowd to make a point. Ruis talks too much on the record. If he ran his horses at Santa Anita as often as he did at Del Mar, there would be no issue. He should probably keep his horses at SLR, like Peter Miller does, and haul them over when he wants to put one in. For all the horses he “shipped to Ellis Park,” how’d they do? I haven’t been able to find one that ran there.
stark

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Curtis wrote:
I don’t actively like or dislike any trainer because for the most part I don’t know them. I figure they’re all doing their jobs the way they know how. Baffert and Pletcher are lightning rods for dislike because their horses don’t last and a horse has gotta last to have a FB page.😉 Seriously though, Baffert and TAP have similar goals, to make breeding stock and to win Classics. To do the latter, you’ve got to really push a horse, many times to it’s detriment, and that will lead to a short career. What I’ve noticed on the BH board, is that a handy trainer will be championed as the anti-Baffert or TAP. A couple of years ago Art Sherman was the horse whisperer du jour because of Chrome. The Chrommies seem to be silent as Faversham gets thrown to the wolves once a month or so, but I digress. There is a woman who is on the BH board constantly who hates Baffert. She’s used many different names over the years as she gets banned often, but the retorhic never changes. After Baffert won the Ballerina with that filly who used to be with Bob Hess Jr. she opined that Hess was a much superior Horseman to Baffert. I have no problem with Hess, but I don’t find any perceived superiority in that vein to be noteworthy if at all existent. Ruis is the latest anti- Baffert, and really these trainers are just being used by the crowd to make a point. Ruis talks too much on the record. If he ran his horses at Santa Anita as often as he did at Del Mar, there would be no issue. He should probably keep his horses at SLR, like Peter Miller does, and haul them over when he wants to put one in. For all the horses he “shipped to Ellis Park,” how’d they do? I haven’t been able to find one that ran there.
Agree with the analysis and how ArtSherman captured the imagination with Chrome, not sure those east of the rockies ever would have known him otherwise.
It wasn't that long ago that the savant o'the day was the esteemed JohnSherriffs, and one must ask where his career would be without just one horse!
stark

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Nice win by the Asmussen trained UnionStrike in Belmont's G2 Gallant Bloom Stakes today, returning $14.40 to his backers.
Flanders

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:22 pm
Curtis wrote:
Agree with the analysis and how ArtSherman captured the imagination with Chrome, not sure those east of the rockies ever would have known him otherwise.
It wasn't that long ago that the savant o'the day was the esteemed JohnSherriffs, and one must ask where his career would be without just one horse!
Most of John Sheriffs G1 Stakes Winners came before Zenyatta. He has trained 10 total, 6 were before Zenyatta and 3 since(one being Life is Sweet). He number of Graded Stakes Winners is really low. I hope they start sending Zenyatta's foals elsewhere.
Mylute

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Not a trial or a tribulation but Union Strike, who we know was originally trained by Shelbe, and then Mick, and then Asmussen, has been retired and will be bred to...Bolt d'Oro next year.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... o-in-2019/