2018 Woodward

Sparrow Castle

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm very happy to see this too! And totally agree with this tweet...doing the family proud.

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
27m27 minutes ago
How proud would Zenya Yoshida be tonight of his sons & grandsons. YOSHIDA 🇯🇵 flying the flag, breaking from the rail going 8 wide to win for fun. Surface doesn’t matter.. He’s out of a brilliant mare by a brilliant son of a sensational sire. Was a great trip to Japan 2015 #SF
Mylute

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
I'm very happy to see this too! And totally agree with this tweet...doing the family proud.

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
27m27 minutes ago
How proud would Zenya Yoshida be tonight of his sons & grandsons. YOSHIDA 🇯🇵 flying the flag, breaking from the rail going 8 wide to win for fun. Surface doesn’t matter.. He’s out of a brilliant mare by a brilliant son of a sensational sire. Was a great trip to Japan 2015 #SF
My heart strings, they’ve been strummed!
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
katmandu

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Mylute wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:34 pm
It was the driver of Gunnevera's trailer, who I believe they said is a former trainer.
Gunn's driver is a sharp dresser :D I suppose no news is good news.
middleground

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
27m27 minutes ago
I usually hate modern figurative sculpture, but that's a pretty great piece of work.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:24 pm

That's got to be a portrait of Sunday Silence in the photograph, yes?

Very happy for Mr. Yoshida & the colt & his connections! :mrgreen:
barbaro111

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:05 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:24 pm
That's got to be a portrait of Sunday Silence in the photograph, yes?

Very happy for Mr. Yoshida & the colt & his connections! :mrgreen:
couldn't be a better outcome in this race- yea Yoshida----!!!!!!!
Your grand-daddy is smiling!
Mylute

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:17 am

All this (rightful) talk about Yoshida...but what about Leofric hanging on for third?
Flanders

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:40 am

Is Yoshida the first Japanese bred to win a G1 on the dirt in the US? Off the top of my head, I can think of three that won G1s on the turf (Cesario, Yoshida, Karakontie).
peeptoad

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:16 am

Props to Yoshida. I was hoping he'd be able to get it done. This division just got a little more interesting; hope they keep Yoshida on the dirt for a little while.
Mylute

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:16 am

Flanders wrote:
Is Yoshida the first Japanese bred to win a G1 on the dirt in the US? Off the top of my head, I can think of three that won G1s on the turf (Cesario, Yoshida, Karakontie).
My guess is that he is. Although I'm not sure if he's the first Japan-bred to win a U.S. dirt race of any grading. I think that title may belong to Sunday Break (2002 Peter Pan).

I wonder where we can check to find that out.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:29 am

middleground wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:09 pm
Yoshida is from the family of Damascus, who was owned by a member of the Woodward family.
You are absolutely correct. Yoshida is from the direct tail female line of Kerala, dam of Damascus:

Kerala, dam of...
..Aunt Tilt, dam of...
....Lost Virtue, dam of...
......Full Virtue, dam of...
........Trick Trick, dam of...
..........Executricker, dam of...
............Hilda's Passion, dam of
..............Yoshida

@Tachyon @Middleground
tachyon

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Mylute wrote:
Flanders wrote:
My guess is that he is. Although I'm not sure if he's the first Japan-bred to win a U.S. dirt race of any grading. I think that title may belong to Sunday Break (2002 Peter Pan).

Yes, Yoshida is the first Japanese-bred to win a G1 on the dirt in the US.
Sunday Break (Forty Niner) was the first graded winner on the dirt in the US.
Cesario (Special Week) won the American Oaks and Karakontie (Bernstein) won the BC Mile, before Yoshida won the Turf Classic.
Mylute

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:03 pm

tachyon wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 pm
Mylute wrote:
Flanders wrote:

Yes, Yoshida is the first Japanese-bred to win a G1 on the dirt in the US.
Sunday Break (Forty Niner) was the first graded winner on the dirt in the US.
Cesario (Special Week) won the American Oaks and Karakontie (Bernstein) won the BC Mile, before Yoshida won the Turf Classic.
Another Japan-bred graded winner in the U.S. is Nuovo Record, who narrowly won the Gr.III Red Carpet Handicap on turf last year (I believe).
Mylute

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Also, not to be that person, but I agree with this one guy in the BH comments.

It's time for Imperative to retire.
Flanders

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Dance in the Mood won a Graded stakes on the turf in the US maybe a year or two after Cesario. But it was a G3 I think. She did finish 2nd in the G1 American Oaks.
tachyon

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am

Flanders wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 pm
Dance in the Mood won a Graded stakes on the turf in the US maybe a year or two after Cesario. But it was a G3 I think. She did finish 2nd in the G1 American Oaks.
Yeah, Dance in the Mood (Sunday Silence) won the G3 CashCall Mile (formerly Royal Heroine) on the turf at Hollywood in 2006.
She used to be a popular filly in this forum, too. ;)

Also, there was a Japanese mare who won the G3 Dahlia H 8.5F dirt at Hollywood in 2004.
Her name was Festival (Assatis)
That race originally was scheduled as a G2 for the turf, but was switched to the main track because of the condition of the grass course.

''Japanese Mare Rolls to Victory in Dahlia Stakes''
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... lia-stakes

And the first Japanese bred to win a stakes race in the states was Hakuchikara.
He won the Washington’s Birthday H. 12F Turf at Santa Anita, 02/23/1959.

Here's the link to a great write-up on Hakuchikara (and photos)! :D
https://aheadbythree.wordpress.com/2014 ... ikara-jpn/
Hakuchikara (JPN)
1953 (Apr. 20) ch. c. Tobisakura (JPN) – Noborishiro (JPN) by Diolite (GB)

“A few years ago, they imported Hakuchikara, a champion runner from Japan, and as he paraded to the post at Santa Anita, a young thing in the audience was heard to murmur disappointedly “He doesn’t look Japanese.”” – Jim Murray (Los Angeles Times, 02/23/1962)

Breeder: Yashima Bokujo
Owner: Hiroshi Nishi
Trainer: Robert “Bob” Wheeler (in United States)
Also known as Haku Chikara

First Japanese-bred horse to win a stakes race in the United States

----------
----------
----------
Curtis

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 am

The Hakuchikara race can be heard on the old 45RPM record of Joe Hernandez’s race calls. Santa Anita gave out the record on the Opening Day following Hernandez’s death. That recording subsequently has been made available on CD as it’s included in a book written about Hernandez a few years ago. Defending HOY Round Table was the high weight and heavy favorite but the turf course was either soft or yielding. It used to be well known that Round Table, and most all of his progeny, wouldn’t run a lick if someone so much as spit on the track. The race call is a gem. There is another horse with an ethnic name who finishes second. It sounds as if Hernandez was putting together an instructional tape as to how to properly navigate one’s way through a tongue twister.
tachyon

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 am

Curtis wrote:
The Hakuchikara race can be heard on the old 45RPM record of Joe Hernandez’s race calls. Santa Anita gave out the record on the Opening Day following Hernandez’s death. That recording subsequently has been made available on CD as it’s included in a book written about Hernandez a few years ago[. Defending HOY Round Table was the high weight and heavy favorite but the turf course was either soft or yielding. It used to be well known that Round Table, and most all of his progeny, wouldn’t run a lick if someone so much as spit on the track. The race call is a gem. There is another horse with an ethnic name who finishes second. It sounds as if Hernandez was putting together an instructional tape as to how to properly navigate one’s way through a tongue twister.
Thanks so much for the valuable input!! :D
We can glance at Hakuchikara's stretch drive with Anisado(ARG) in the Washington's Birthday Handicap at Santa Anita in 1959 in the link below, even if it's hard to catch Joe Hernandez's call you referred to.
Click High on Movie.

http://www.jra.go.jp/50th/html/50horse/17.html

Hakuchikara won the Tokyo Yushun (Japanese Derby) as well as the Arima Kinen in Japan.
Curtis

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:25 pm

tachyon wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 am
Curtis wrote:
The Hakuchikara race can be heard on the old 45RPM record of Joe Hernandez’s race calls. Santa Anita gave out the record on the Opening Day following Hernandez’s death. That recording subsequently has been made available on CD as it’s included in a book written about Hernandez a few years ago[. Defending HOY Round Table was the high weight and heavy favorite but the turf course was either soft or yielding. It used to be well known that Round Table, and most all of his progeny, wouldn’t run a lick if someone so much as spit on the track. The race call is a gem. There is another horse with an ethnic name who finishes second. It sounds as if Hernandez was putting together an instructional tape as to how to properly navigate one’s way through a tongue twister.
Thanks so much for the valuable input!! :D
We can glance at Hakuchikara's stretch drive with Anisado(ARG) in the Washington's Birthday Handicap at Santa Anita in 1959 in the link below, even if it's hard to catch Joe Hernandez's call you referred to.
Click High on Movie.

http://www.jra.go.jp/50th/html/50horse/17.html

Hakuchikara won the Tokyo Yushun (Japanese Derby) as well as the Arima Kinen in Japan.
Thanks for that, I've heard the call many times but never even knew video existed.