Dutrow Request to Amend License Revocation Denied

PJMIII

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:33 am

State regulators in New York have rejected a request by former trainer Rick Dutrow to re-open the case that led to his racing industry license being revoked for 10 years.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ion-denied
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 am

Totally rigged Witch Hunt!
Ballerina

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

He was dealt a bad hand from day one. It shocks me to the core the number of people who would deny a man his way of making a living. He was/is not the ghoul that haters make him out to be. You can scream at me from now 'til doomsday. You WILL NOT convince me that this man is evil and a threat to horses. He just has to reign in his big mouth and pay attention to details.
mariasmon

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Ballerina wrote:He was dealt a bad hand from day one. It shocks me to the core the number of people who would deny a man his way of making a living. He was/is not the ghoul that haters make him out to be. You can scream at me from now 'til doomsday. You WILL NOT convince me that this man is evil and a threat to horses. He just has to reign in his big mouth and pay attention to details.
This.
Tessablue

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Ballerina wrote:He was dealt a bad hand from day one. It shocks me to the core the number of people who would deny a man his way of making a living. He was/is not the ghoul that haters make him out to be. You can scream at me from now 'til doomsday. You WILL NOT convince me that this man is evil and a threat to horses. He just has to reign in his big mouth and pay attention to details.
Agreed. If anything, he should be hired as an equine safety consultant. His record was exceptional, and his ban sure seemed like a haphazard PR move in the wake of a tumultuous Triple Crown season. It almost certainly would not have happened had Big Brown lost the Derby, and I find it bizarre that the ban is not being reconsidered given its unprecedented length. It's not like the general public still cares about it at all.
Catalina

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Agreed. If anything, he should be hired as an equine safety consultant. His record was exceptional, and his ban sure seemed like a haphazard PR move in the wake of a tumultuous Triple Crown season. It almost certainly would not have happened had Big Brown lost the Derby, and I find it bizarre that the ban is not being reconsidered given its unprecedented length. It's not like the general public still cares about it at all.
Unfortunately the people commenting on Ray Paulick's article were predominantly still foaming at the mouth and dripping vituperation - the usual uninformed hate groupies.

The penalty is so out of line that I find it remarkable that the state racing commission won't even listen to any presentations on his behalf and refused to put the matter on the meeting agenda. Why? Because the penalty was so blatantly disproportionate? Or because questions might arise as to who wanted it so, and why?
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Yeah, I agree this was much more personal vendetta than justice. Dutrow didn't deserve this and not holding a hearing to reconsider the ban serves no good purpose. I don't have time to read all the comments on the articles. Did anyone talk about what new evidence was submitted?
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm

I just read some of the Bloodhorse article comments, and I didn't see any info about the 'new evidence.' And those comments were also devolving into insult exchanges.
The subject of Rick Dutrow sure seems to provoke some strong reactions. :oops:
I'm no racing insider, but I can't forget that Frank Lyons was adamant - on air on TVG - that Rick was a good trainer, who took very good care of his horses.
IMHO, the whole ten year suspension looks a lot like NY racing wanted to prove they were actually working to keep racing clean, and they found the perfect scapegoat in Rick.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 pm

I agree 100%. Back then I wasn't too happy about his ban, but even back then I found 10 years harsh. A year would have been fine too. Also back then I was very naive to believe that they would follow through and ban others with as many violations too. Nothing happened, so this is terribly unfair towards Dutrow. Also afair his breakdown rate was low and no horses died under his care. That's a big plus in my book and speaks volumes about him as a trainer.

How many years til the 10 year ban is up? 2 more, or? I signed the petition too, shame that it did so little.
MySaladDays

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Dutrow is the scapegoat for the "too big to fail" and "super trainers" who should be suspended but aren't.

He got a rotten deal, but that's how scapegoats are used
Catalina

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Kurenai wrote:
I agree 100%. Back then I wasn't too happy about his ban, but even back then I found 10 years harsh. A year would have been fine too. Also back then I was very naive to believe that they would follow through and ban others with as many violations too. Nothing happened, so this is terribly unfair towards Dutrow. Also afair his breakdown rate was low and no horses died under his care. That's a big plus in my book and speaks volumes about him as a trainer.

How many years til the 10 year ban is up? 2 more, or? I signed the petition too, shame that it did so little.
I believe he's right around the halfway point, so about another five years to go...
Ballerina

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 pm

The "board" wanted to show racing fans that they meant business cleaning up the sport. Yeah, sure. They picked the softest target and let it drop from there. I'd like to know how a suggested 90 day suspension morphed its way into 10 years.
Flanders

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 pm

The first day of his suspension was supposed to be in October 2011 but he had a court order to stay it. His last starter was in January 2013, so I would imagine that was when he exhausted his options.
Curtis

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 am

He was suspended basically, for continued and willful defiance and teeing off the wrong people. That’s how 90 days can become 10 years. Dutrow is horse racing’s version of the 1980’s SMU football program. No one thing particularly egregious but put it all together.......
luvsgeldings

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 am

totally agree with all comments regarding how unfair this man has been treated - but mostly, I appreciate and respect the fact that he never had a horse die in his care - that is highly commendable - and he had a very low breakdown rate - that is huge in my book too - cannot remember who the vet was who spoke on his behalf, but didn't he basically say that dutrow took exceptional care of his animals - and whenever he did have one of his horses come for treatment, dutrow knew exactly what the problem was and had taken measures to get the horse treated before it became something worse - this trainer was a gift to the horses in this sport - wish there were more like him - and its a true shame he isn't doing the thing he does best.... looking out for the animals in this game.
stark

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 am

Yet another example where a national racing czarina wouldn't be the answer to the problem.
Really impossible to make everybody happy with any decision.

It'd be like giving one person on the Supreme Court more power than anybody else, who should it be, Ginsberg or Gorsuch.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Iirc the stats correctly he hasn't had a fatal injury in 10 years of training. If he would have drugged his horses, they would run through pain etc, thus more breakdowns.

I'm actually wondering why he didn't try to train somewhere else in the meantime (Japan for example). If he would have gotten his act together without being sloppy with meds etc, I think that would have been a solution. Unless I'm missing something why that wouldn't work.
Charlie

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm

I don't even remember the given reason he was banned. Had to read the article for the vague reason they gave.

But I do think it is unfair, plenty of other trainers too look at and the ignored all but him. Sad (and unprofessional) that they denied the repeal as well.