Los Alamitos

Los Alamitos

Postby Curtis » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Why do they write so many 5.5f races? Has 5.5f become the new 6f?
Curtis

Re: Los Alamitos

Postby stark » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 pm

I haven't been watching, but do they try and entice some of their locals, the 870 and 4 1/2furlongers to stretch out?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:55 pm

If you're talking about the daytime TB card, I'd guess that the races need to utilize the horses who are in the Los Al barns. I presume a good number of those are sprinters who also run 'the hook' during the evening mixed-breed races.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Curtis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:26 am

There are eight races carded for Sunday, seven of them are 5.5f. Is it the consensus that the horses in those seven races are horses that have been running 870 or 4.5f at night?
Curtis

Postby stark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 am

Curtis wrote:There are eight races carded for Sunday, seven of them are 5.5f. Is it the consensus that the horses in those seven races are horses that have been running 870 or 4.5f at night?

Well.....a couple of the races are for 2YO maidens, so I gots no problem with the shorter distance for 'em.

In the other races, there are only a handful in total of horses that have run at night at LosAl, but I'm guessing that they're having so much trouble filling the fields that they're willing to try anything. It's so darn hot that most trainers have even backed off of regular training, much less actually entered a race.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Curtis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:12 pm

stark wrote:
Curtis wrote:There are eight races carded for Sunday, seven of them are 5.5f. Is it the consensus that the horses in those seven races are horses that have been running 870 or 4.5f at night?

Well.....a couple of the races are for 2YO maidens, so I gots no problem with the shorter distance for 'em.

In the other races, there are only a handful in total of horses that have run at night at LosAl, but I'm guessing that they're having so much trouble filling the fields that they're willing to try anything. It's so darn hot that most trainers have even backed off of regular training, much less actually entered a race.

I’m curious more than anything else. I understand drastic times/drastic measures but the book has been out for awhile. Is there a contingency that if the heat index reaches a certain level that any race written to go under a mile will default to 5.5f? I’ve noticed that at both Santa Anita and Del Mar, over the last few years, there have been a preponderance if 5.5f races written for maidens both 3 and 3 and up. The temps will range from 65-85. Used to be that if you wanted to run a horse 5.5f, it needed to be a 2yo.
Curtis

Postby Flanders » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:34 pm

I've never been there and I can't find a track configuration with starting gate positions. But I am wondering if the 5.5f has a better starting gate location than if they carded 6f races? I looked through the condition book and while there are a few races at 6f the vast majority are 5.5f.

Edited to add: So I just watched a replay of a 6f race from a few days ago. The starting gate is on the backstretch but the inside is on the end of the first turn. They have no temporary rail set up to the inside of the starting gate, they just moved the horses to have them start from PP #3-8, probably to prevent them ducking in toward the turn. But it really isn't a big opening just a few strides out of the gate. A starting gate position of 5.5f takes that away. Maybe that is why?
Flanders

Postby PJMIII » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:08 am

Draft Pick Looks to Extend Win Streak in Los Al Derby

Late bloomer won the Affirmed Stakes (G3) last time out.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-al-derby
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 am

Los Alamitos Up in Overall Wagering, New Pick 4

Heriberto Figueroa, Asa Espinoza tied for the riding title, Bob Baffert top trainer.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... new-pick-4
PJMIII

Return to Racing