Breeders' Cup Top 5

Kennedy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:39 pm

It's kind of after the fact because things have changed since the 1st of August but these were BC rankings as of August.

Classic
Accelerate
Hofburg
Seeking the Soul
Diversify
Thunder Snow

Turf
Crystal Ocean
Capri
Roaring Lion
Sadler's Joy
Hawkbill

Mile
Oscar Performance
Alpha Centauri
Analyze It
Rhododendron
Suedois

Sprint
Imperial Hint
Roy H
Promises Fulfilled
American Anthem
Engage

Dirt Mile
Mind Your Biscuits
Bee Jersey
Awesome Slew
Firenze Fire
Catalina Cruiser

Distaff
Abel Tasman
Elate
Unique Bella
Monomoy Girl
Red Ruby

FM Turf
Sistercharlie
Wild Illusion
Hawksmoor
A Raving Beauty
Inflexibility

FM Sprint
Marley's Freedom
Lewis Bay
Skye Diamonds
American Gal
Separationofpowers

Turf Sprint
Long On Value
Imprimis
Disco Partner
Will Call
Bucchero
Katewerk

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 pm

A good year for the distaff side to eye the Classic instead.
Curtis

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Katewerk wrote:
If someone were to hand you a bag with $3M in it to buy any of the fillies or mares on that list to divert to the Classic, which one would you pick and why?
peeptoad

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 am

West Coast will try to make the Classic off works alone: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-to-races
Katewerk

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 am

Curtis wrote:
Katewerk wrote:
If someone were to hand you a bag with $3M in it to buy any of the fillies or mares on that list to divert to the Classic, which one would you pick and why?
Give me $6m and I'll buy two, Tasmin and Bella. I don't see any names among those five colts listed that make me think "dominating". Tasmin always shows up (not sure about distance though) and Bella is a monster who looks the part, and Smith would probably stay on her. And should they lose, I own Tasmin and Bella, thanks!

But I'm just a fan following along at home -- what do you think?
Mylute

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:41 am

peeptoad wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 am
West Coast will try to make the Classic off works alone: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-to-races
Bleh.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
ElPrado2

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Yummy!
Which of those Euro fillies works on the all-weather?
Treve

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Curtis wrote:
Katewerk wrote:
Elate - she got the 10f distance in 2:02.19 over the heavy/slow Saratoga surface after tracking a hot pace especially for a group of 3yo fillies going the mile and a quarter for the first time. ( :46.96, 1:10, 1:35.87) Granted that means her final quarter wasn't exactly speedy but I wouldn't call it glacial given the context. She also won the Delaware Handicap this year, at the same distance (her lone start this year after a very long layoff) where she moved early with about a half mile to go after being at the back (wise decision otherwise she'd have had to close into a slow pace). Sure she didn't perform last year in the Distaff, but that was her only finish out of the tri lifetime (except for her Ashland where she was vanned off after pulling up)

Abel Tasman - would be my second choice not entirely sure about the distance but most of the times she lost seemed to be because she didn't have quite enough room.

Not on the list... I'd consider Wonder Gadot, but I would like to see how she does in the Travers first. I think the distance suits her and I think she's getting better but it's hard to gauge her walloping of Canadian-bred horses. Let's not forget her 10f win was over Synthetic. Her margin was smaller in the Prince of Wales on dirt, at 9.5f... still closer to 10f than 9f but for some horses that .5f can make a difference.

Ugh @ West Coast. The Classic division is a little light and most of the 3yos have been slow but I'm not convinced that Gronkowski isn't continuing to improve and if Mendelssohn returns to form who knows what we may witness. Hofburg still has a lot of development left and I'd be curious about some of the promising 3yos that avoided the TC trail, or maybe even those that were on the TC trail but with room to improve. Remember this time two years ago no one knew who Arrogate was, two months later he caught California Chrome late in the stretch. Thunder Snow is running against the odds - no horse has won the Dubai World Cup and the Classic the same year (also anyone know when he's supposed to come back?) Diversify is looming larger and larger and while the Distaff side is loaded with talent and consistency, one of the brightest stars is said not to be able to get beyond 9f (Monomoy Girl), I find it highly dubious Unique Bella wants to go beyond 9f as well... in fact looking at her record I realize she's never won as far as 9f she's only gotten to 1 mile 1/16th. Haven't looked closely enough at Red Ruby. But this could also be a year where a male from the speedier miling or longer sprint division might take a crack so I wouldn't necessarily enter one of the Distaffers with absolute confidence. Regardless I think there will be a lot of early speed this year in the Classic, so if I was looking for an upset I'd probably go with a closer or a stalker.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Kennedy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm

I like the question and I agree that Elate is the one I'd target if I were looking to push to the Classic. I feel like she, more than perhaps the others, still has such a big scope for improvement. It feels as though she is still building towards a peak that has not been achieved yet and that she is the most solid contender at 10f.

On the left field side of the equation I do kind of wonder if Chad Brown would consider starting to work some of his FM Turf squad on the main track. It's a bit of a crazy pattern that we don't see anyone in the US really trying but if the Classic is weak and you are likely to sweep the top 5 places in the FM Turf are you at all tempted to swing one of them to the main track for a moon shot?

We will often see a male turf horse or two try the Classic but maybe this is a year when a Female Turf horse might give it a try? Probably not but it's fun to consider.
Tessablue

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

I don't really understand why they keep trying to turn Unique Bella into a router. I would much rather see her face males at 6-8f vs. running in the Distaff. But I've kind of always felt like her reputation is greater than her performances and I'm not going to complain about the fact that she always gets heavily bet down. I didn't like Elate's chances in the BC last year but it does feel like Mott is bringing her around exactly as he wants to this year.

Diversify is a monster right now and IMO stands head and shoulders over the rest in the classic division, although Hofburg should win the Travers and could keep improving. For Breeders Cup purposes I'm just going to ignore Accelerate, because although the horse is very cool Sadler is just terrible in the BC. And I think it's best not to sleep on Gunnevera.

Any thoughts on the 2yos, Kennedy? Feedback sure looks like she could be anything.
Treve

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm

I would like to see Talismanic give it another go.
In terms of the Turf fillies... If Enable starts back up soon she could be an interesting candidate for the main track.
Chad Brown has so many trainees at the moment I'm not sure which ones go 10f and beyond in a consistent manner, but of course he knows how to train for both surfaces so he could be a good trainer angle to look at.
I do think this is a good year to try the switch not just because of the relatively wide open division, but also because of the fact the BC is at Churchill which can be kind to horses with turf form.

I forgot about Gunnevera but he was impressive in his comeback and if he can return to a more consistent form he's a candidate. (And why I think it's a bit early to call the division very weak or a cakewalk from someone doing a surface switch or fillies facing males for the first time)
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Personal Ensign

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

With so many of the fillies and mares that Mike Smith rides planning to run in the Breeders Cup Distaff, who will he actually choose and what chances do you all think the fillies and mares he chooses NOT to ride have at winning the race?
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
peeptoad

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 pm

https://www.drf.com/news/red-ruby-miss- ... plint-bone

Didn't realize Red Ruby was injured... prob out for the year
Kennedy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:56 pm

That's a shame......
Kennedy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm
For Breeders Cup purposes I'm just going to ignore Accelerate, because although the horse is very cool Sadler is just terrible in the BC. And I think it's best not to sleep on Gunnevera.
I actually had the same thought and really took a pause before just placing him a top my list but at the end of the day it was hard for me to really get behind the rest who have so little form. I do agree that Diversify is a monster right now but the "right now" part of that scares me a little with him. He ran comparatively poorly last year in the Clark right after two smashing wins in NY. I'm not sure if I totally trust him going to CD especially if he gets company like Collected.
Afrashad

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Treve wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 pm
Thunder Snow is running against the odds - no horse has won the Dubai World Cup and the Classic the same year (also anyone know when he's supposed to come back?)

He's possible for the Juddmonte International next week, but nothing's been decided yet. If he does run, the original plan was then to bring him over for the Jockey Club Gold Cup.
Curtis

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Katewerk wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:56 am
Curtis wrote:
Katewerk wrote:
Give me $6m and I'll buy two, Tasmin and Bella. I don't see any names among those five colts listed that make me think "dominating". Tasmin always shows up (not sure about distance though) and Bella is a monster who looks the part, and Smith would probably stay on her. And should they lose, I own Tasmin and Bella, thanks!

But I'm just a fan following along at home -- what do you think?
The only mare on that list that I would describe as having rare talent is Unique Bella and I don’t think she fits at all in a race like the BCC. No there are no dominating males on that list but I don’t see that because no one male is dominating, they would lose to one of those mares just because the competition on the Distaff side is deeper. It’s like with Songbird. Because she ran a faster final time than Nyquist in her BC race at two, many thought she was clearly the dominant horse of that class, regardless of gender. Songbird often won her races with a fast first quarter, slowing down in the middle and finishing up fast. The males went at it pretty good all the way around and could also finish. I’m more partial to seeing how a horse runs fast as opposed to only seeing how fast they run.
Treve

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 pm

I agree if anything run Bella against males in the Sprint or maybe the Dirt Mile
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Starine

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 pm

From the DRF:
Red Ruby has been confined to her stall for two weeks, but [trainer Kellyn] Gorder said she could have the injured area freeze-fired in a few days and go back under tack in a week or two. Gorder said he still needs to discuss options with her owners, but “I would have to think we still could have the Breeders’ Cup in our sights.”
https://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-s ... nable=true
stark

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:39 am

Where's Kennedy?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.