Breeders' Cup Top 5

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 pm

I notice that you don't have Catholic Boy anywhere. He's beaten Analyze It twice now, so doesn't CB earn a spot in The Mile?
Kennedy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

I was close to putting Catholic Boy in the mix for the Turf but I really don't see him as one who would be capable of competing in the Mile. The Mile is about speed a good turn of foot and often favors agile horses. Catholic Boy just isn't the type in my mind and would struggle at the distance. Remember he's also been beating Analyze It at distance greater than a mile. I think it in some ways points to a maturity problem for Analyze It but also hints that maybe he should try to become a miler. The issue is that as a 3yo Turf horse there is barely any point in trying to be a miler. All of the key money races get run at 10f.

But after the Secretariat I suspect that Catholic Boy and Analyze it will go their separate ways and would ultimately focus on different BC races if in fact they attempt any at all. The Breeders' Cup level is still a stretch for both of them based on their current ability.
peeptoad

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 am

I'm hoping for a fantastic renewal of the Distaff this year: Elate, Monomoy Girl, Abel Tasman, Red Ruby, Unique Bella, Bisou, et al... should be a heck of a match up if they all make it.
Curtis

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:39 am

peeptoad wrote:I'm hoping for a fantastic renewal of the Distaff this year: Elate, Monomoy Girl, Abel Tasman, Red Ruby, Unique Bella, Bisou, et al... should be a heck of a match up if they all make it.
You could be right but for me, the 3yo’s will need to move forward more than a little to step with the older mares and they could. Currently though, they just don’t seem fast enough. Bisou would have a puncher’s chance with a pace meltdown, I suppose.
stark

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 am

Curtis wrote:
peeptoad wrote:I'm hoping for a fantastic renewal of the Distaff this year: Elate, Monomoy Girl, Abel Tasman, Red Ruby, Unique Bella, Bisou, et al... should be a heck of a match up if they all make it.
You could be right but for me, the 3yo’s will need to move forward more than a little to step with the older mares and they could. Currently though, they just don’t seem fast enough. Bisou would have a puncher’s chance with a pace meltdown, I suppose.
They're all running for second place.

Respectfully,
Unique Bella.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
peeptoad

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Curtis wrote:
I don't disagree... but I'm not completely sold on Bella being a mortal lock either. Plenty of time for MG and Elate to make some forward progress. Plus I just like Red Ruby, even though she has more to prove vs some others.
Treve

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:02 pm

no love for Wonder Gadot who has to date come closest to beating MG? Although I suppose the Distaff is 9f and she seems to go better longer...
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
peeptoad

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Treve wrote:no love for Wonder Gadot who has to date come closest to beating MG? Although I suppose the Distaff is 9f and she seems to go better longer...
Can't believe I forgot her since of all those I mentioned she's the one I actually have the most "love" for (even above Ruby). She made me some bank on Oaks day and was an easy lock in the QP. Plus, with the BC at CD this year, she should be closing strongly on the strip...
Curtis

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm

I’m not Unique Bella’s biggest fan but when she behaves herself she’s the best. She’s the only one I can term as a monster, unless Red Ruby can continue as she steps up in class. I like Abel Tasman and Elate next. It will be interesting to see where Mike Smith ends up as things progress.
stark

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Curtis wrote:I’m not Unique Bella’s biggest fan.

Obviously.
As I recall you wanted to play Dr. and do some sort of surgical procedure on her ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Kennedy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:39 pm

It's kind of after the fact because things have changed since the 1st of August but these were BC rankings as of August.

Classic
Accelerate
Hofburg
Seeking the Soul
Diversify
Thunder Snow

Turf
Crystal Ocean
Capri
Roaring Lion
Sadler's Joy
Hawkbill

Mile
Oscar Performance
Alpha Centauri
Analyze It
Rhododendron
Suedois

Sprint
Imperial Hint
Roy H
Promises Fulfilled
American Anthem
Engage

Dirt Mile
Mind Your Biscuits
Bee Jersey
Awesome Slew
Firenze Fire
Catalina Cruiser

Distaff
Abel Tasman
Elate
Unique Bella
Monomoy Girl
Red Ruby

FM Turf
Sistercharlie
Wild Illusion
Hawksmoor
A Raving Beauty
Inflexibility

FM Sprint
Marley's Freedom
Lewis Bay
Skye Diamonds
American Gal
Separationofpowers

Turf Sprint
Long On Value
Imprimis
Disco Partner
Will Call
Bucchero
Katewerk

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 pm

A good year for the distaff side to eye the Classic instead.
Curtis

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Katewerk wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 pm
A good year for the distaff side to eye the Classic instead.
If someone were to hand you a bag with $3M in it to buy any of the fillies or mares on that list to divert to the Classic, which one would you pick and why?
peeptoad

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 am

West Coast will try to make the Classic off works alone: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-to-races