2018 Royal Ascot

Re: 2018 Royal Ascot

Postby Le Beau Bai » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 am

ITV reporting he’s came back mildly lame and has a puncture wound. He’s with the vet who is currently flushing the wound.

RE the start - the jockey shouted okay to the starter as he hadn’t realised he had a hindleg up on the boards.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby barbaro111 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Le Beau Bai wrote:ITV reporting he’s came back mildly lame and has a puncture wound. He’s with the vet who is currently flushing the wound.

RE the start - the jockey shouted okay to the starter as he hadn’t realised he had a hindleg up on the boards.

shouldn't the starters make the decision whether the horse can go or not?? i would think they should
barbaro111

Postby stark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:15 pm

With reference to our Kentucky Derby that fills with 20 entries, many are criticized for being no-hopers.....

Geesh, how many no-hopers are there in some of these races, seems like half the field doesn't belong, no?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Le Beau Bai » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:20 pm

barbaro111 wrote:
Le Beau Bai wrote:ITV reporting he’s came back mildly lame and has a puncture wound. He’s with the vet who is currently flushing the wound.

shouldn't the starters make the decision whether the horse can go or not?? i would think they should

The jockeys offer guidance in cases when the horse gets upset. It’s not unusual to hear a jockey yelling ‘no’ or ‘wait’ when a horse isn’t quite set. Remember we don’t have stalls handlers to make sure the horse is looking ahead etc.

Similarly the starter will yell “blinds” to tell them to remove blindfolds just before the break.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby ThreeMustangs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Damn, how tall is Pallasator?
ThreeMustangs

Postby luvsgeldings » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 pm

feel so badly for that poor horse whose leg was hung up on the board in the gate - no one behind the gate could see that horse only had 3 legs on the ground? and the jockey couldn't tell the horse was not right while he was in the stall? egads.

I might be wrong, but I think here in the states the starters don't spring the gate until they see all 4 legs of the horses are settled. of course, we don't have the field sizes they get at ascot. but I thought I had heard the starters here keep an eye on the horses legs - surely someone would notice a horse with only 3 legs down on the ground.

in any case, its a shame for that horse and I hope he is ok.
luvsgeldings

Postby barbaro111 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:feel so badly for that poor horse whose leg was hung up on the board in the gate - no one behind the gate could see that horse only had 3 legs on the ground? and the jockey couldn't tell the horse was not right while he was in the stall? egads.

I might be wrong, but I think here in the states the starters don't spring the gate until they see all 4 legs of the horses are settled. of course, we don't have the field sizes they get at ascot. but I thought I had heard the starters here keep an eye on the horses legs - surely someone would notice a horse with only 3 legs down on the ground.

in any case, its a shame for that horse and I hope he is ok.

that was one of the worst incidents i have ever seen occur in the gate -- and letting the gates open--- OMG- I am worried about that poor horse.
barbaro111

Postby luvsgeldings » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:19 pm

it was awful.... the way that horses leg was folded up and pinned up on that board - and so high up like that - the overhead shot of him in the gate, it looked like the back half of his body was twisted sideways too - that was a terrible experience for him - I can only hope we hear he is ok in the days ahead.
luvsgeldings

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:42 pm

If anyone has thought that American racing should adopt British procedures for the gate, IMHO this incident with Harry Angel should throw cold water on that notion. :roll:
Harry kicked so hard and high that his hooves were above the back of the stall, and one leg got caught. In the US, that horse would have been immediately backed out of the gate and checked by a vet.
It's not like Harry has never had a problem at the gate; he was wearing a Monty Roberts blanket AND a blindfold. He clearly has issues.
I feel like the starter just shrugged and wrote off the horse, since he was causing his own problems. So he let the race go before anyone else acted up, although someone else reared completely in the air at the start.
I'm sorry...although not surprised...to read that Harry was injured. His connections should be furious with the starter, and so should all the bettors, since IIRC he was the favorite. A lot of punters' money went down the drain because a starter wouldn't take the time to make sure that horse was OK. Sounds like he should have been scratched at the gate, which would have protected the bettors. :evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Even though the starter let 'em run, couldn't they have called an INQUIRY immediately after the race and declared him a non-starter for betting purposes?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing