Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby stark » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 pm

The Pick 6 King
‏@jonathanstettin

True Story: A great jockey was once asked “why didn’t you go to the lead like I instructed?” He said simply “I had to stay with the horse.”
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby MySaladDays » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:22 am

barbaro111 wrote:Horse racing needs a central authority- until that happens this industry will continue to be chaotic. and there is no chance that there will ever be a
horse racing commissioner--- so we can expect more of the same ---

1000% agree
MySaladDays

Postby luvsgeldings » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 am

yup, I agree too. won't happen. and that is just too bad.
luvsgeldings

Postby peeptoad » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am

pretty good take, imho:http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-belmont-turned-soap-opera-was-born

this is what I alluded to in my previous post:
As much as today’s trainers and jockeys seem to enjoy the spotlight, enhancing their brands, they still operate primarily behind the scenes, and more is left unsaid in lieu of quiet understandings and business relationships. Icebergs reveal more above the waterline.

and this
In the end, at least for the wider sports world, the first turn of the 2018 Belmont Stakes will eventually fade into the background, leaving only sour grapes. That’s too bad, because Justify deserved a clean deal, with no strings attached, and nothing but the memory of a gorgeous red colt standing tall atop a reinvigorated Triple Crown.

...and I also agree on the sport needing a central authority and/or racing commissioner.
peeptoad

Postby Catalina » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 am

peeptoad wrote:pretty good take, imho:http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-belmont-turned-soap-opera-was-born

this is what I alluded to in my previous post:
As much as today’s trainers and jockeys seem to enjoy the spotlight, enhancing their brands, they still operate primarily behind the scenes, and more is left unsaid in lieu of quiet understandings and business relationships. Icebergs reveal more above the waterline.

and this
In the end, at least for the wider sports world, the first turn of the 2018 Belmont Stakes will eventually fade into the background, leaving only sour grapes. That’s too bad, because Justify deserved a clean deal, with no strings attached, and nothing but the memory of a gorgeous red colt standing tall atop a reinvigorated Triple Crown.

...and I also agree on the sport needing a central authority and/or racing commissioner.

Very well written piece.
Catalina

Postby stark » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 am

luvsgeldings wrote:yup, I agree too. won't happen. and that is just too bad.
MySaladDays wrote:
barbaro111 wrote:Horse racing needs a central authority- until that happens this industry will continue to be chaotic. and there is no chance that there will ever be a
horse racing commissioner--- so we can expect more of the same ---

1000% agree

Lets just close our eyes for a minute and pretend that there really is a headmistress elected into the national position.

With all the power, what specifically do you suppose she would have done in this situation before the race? After the race?

thanks
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BigDonOKC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 am

I have look this thing over and now believe the Russian set it up for Justify to win the T.C. :roll:
BigDonOKC

Postby BigDonOKC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:02 am

stark wrote:The Pick 6 King
‏@jonathanstettin

True Story: A great jockey was once asked “why didn’t you go to the lead like I instructed?” He said simply “I had to stay with the horse.”

Saw this year ago at Remington park jockey came off of horse a few feet from wire he past the wire with arms around horses heck and feet off the ground he still won because he did not hit ground before the wire :lol:
BigDonOKC

Postby barbaro111 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm

First of all, all top sports have a commissioner--- or a central authority. I guess horse racing doesn't want to be included in that group.
If there was a commissioner, there would be policies and protocols that would govern situations like the one that occurred on Belmont Day, that is to say
an allegation of alleged interference. Protocol would have required the complainant to make that complaint immediately following the race; then there would no doubt be a committee that would review the video, written protocol and would be guided by those elements. What you had in this situation is an allegation that was not immediately made after the race; instead Repole went to the media and stated he wanted the situation investigated but i don't think he actually filed a complaint with the stewards. In as much as corporate ownership of several horses with one trainer may become more commonplace, there would have to be rules and protocol to deal with such a situation. For example, coupling in that situation could be required ..

As an example, let's say there is a question of a dirty hit in the NHL. The video goes to a committee; they interview each of the parties involved and make a decision if that was in fact a dirty hit or not; it they deem it was, they then mete out punishment. There might a suspension- how long would the suspension be or a fine, or both. They are guided by rules of the game, protocol and then they have use judgement based on various factors.

Why is the horse industry so resistant to the idea of a commissioner or central authority- it would certainly make the sport consistent from venue to venue with medications and so forth.

Whether we believe there was interference during the Belmont that helped the winner is a matter of opinion; the problem is that this situation became very visible to mainstream and gives people who already think the game is fixed, another reason to see what they believe is a corrupt industry.
barbaro111

Postby BigDonOKC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 pm

12-18-17 Notice
The Directive on Commission-Sanctioned Thresholds was eliminated 12-18-17 with Gov. Fallin's approval of the proposed emergency rule amendments to Chapter 45

Our main office has moved to: 2800 N Lincoln Blvd, Suite 220, Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Our Mission
The Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission encourages agriculture, the breeding of horses, the growth, sustenance and development of live racing, and generates public revenue through the forceful control, regulation, implementation and enforcement of Commission-licensed horse racing and gaming.

Our website is under construction.

LOOKS LIKE EACH STATE HAS TO HAVE IT OWN--- NO FEDERAL CONTROL SO CHECK OWN STATE, I KNOW THERE ONE IN NEW YORK. ARE DO YOU WONT TRUMP IN CHARGE?
BigDonOKC

PreviousNext

Return to Racing