Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Kurenai » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Guys, can you please take that argument elsewhere? Stick to PMs or something. This is not about the seven horses that died. Concentrate on the thread topic.
Kurenai

Postby peeptoad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Tessablue wrote:It's not libelous and it's not going to get anyone in trouble, are you kidding me? Anyone with an understanding of biology knows what happened there, and it was ugly. He'll never face consequences for it, so the least we can do is try to keep it in the light.

Well, I don't really have a dog in this fight (since I am not a Baffert "fanatic"), but just my 2 cents: I agree with keeping things "in the light" so to speak so that actions of the past are not recurring (inasmuch as "we" have any control over them at all), but there are a load of other trainers out there that have done similar or worse that also were not handed punishment for their actions. One of them had a horse entered in a prominent stakes race last Saturday. Sometimes keeping the activity in your brain for all eternity because justice wasn't served can cause unnecessary grief for the worrier. I'd agree if there was an indication that the activities are continuing, but I see no indication that Baffert is continuing down this path, so maybe he learned from the past or maybe the past wasn't entirely clear to the racing public to begin with.

Again, no judgement at all from me; maybe you all know more than I do though I keep up with the sport pretty well and as best I can...
peeptoad

Postby Kurenai » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Why would he hussle NI up just go to 10 wide? That would cost the horse the race right there.

Why should he have gone wide? Use him hard to get in between Justify and Restoring Hope (who was floating wide around the turn anyway). If your main goal is to get to the lead no matter what, according to tactics to soften Justify up. Yes, then you are in between Justify and the other rabbit, getting cooked on the lead. But doesn't matter anyway, you did what you were told to do.
Kurenai

Postby katmandu » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 pm

"Rabbits are nothing new in racing"

Restoring Hope was not a "rabbit" in this race.

Restoring Hope cut in front of NI, that maneuver is what sent him wide in to the turn. . .
Last edited by katmandu on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katmandu

Postby Kurenai » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

katmandu wrote:"Rabbits are nothing new in racing"

Bodyguard? :lol: I don't think Baffert did anything wrong with using the horse as a tactical advantage. As I said, the only questionable thing IMO is maybe the ride Castellano gave Noble Indy.
Kurenai

Postby katmandu » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Kurenai wrote:
katmandu wrote:"Rabbits are nothing new in racing"

Bodyguard? :lol:

That's one term that's being thrown around. He clearly wasn't a rabbit.

The problem is the bigger picture (including Audible and the bonuses for winning the TC) and on US racing's biggest stage. There is a "sub thread" going on about this, but the focus keeps getting shifted.

I don't think anyone is saying this (interference by another "associated" horse) hasn't happened before. "That move going into the first turn is one we’ve seen before, and also with an uncoupled entry mate— against a Hollendorfer horse a few years ago." (Jerry Brown)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sh ... ORM=VDRVRV
katmandu

Postby Kurenai » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Ok, enough. I told you to stick to PM. I will delete the postings now.

You might not see it that way, but in that case I am also protecting you, cause you open yourself up to a lawsuit. (No, there is no anonymity on the internet) You can of course point out that you find it troublesome that horses died and you wish there would have been done more to look into it. But you can NOT accuse someone of killing them.

I agree that the method to point out what you said or how you worded it wasn't the nicest way. They still are correct though.
Kurenai

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm

This topic is actually picking up steam several days later. I'm seeing it all over the place:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/0 ... /23457057/
Apollo

Postby Tessablue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 pm

peeptoad wrote:Well, I don't really have a dog in this fight (since I am not a Baffert "fanatic"), but just my 2 cents: I agree with keeping things "in the light" so to speak so that actions of the past are not recurring (inasmuch as "we" have any control over them at all), but there are a load of other trainers out there that have done similar or worse that also were not handed punishment for their actions. One of them had a horse entered in a prominent stakes race last Saturday. Sometimes keeping the activity in your brain for all eternity because justice wasn't served can cause unnecessary grief for the worrier. I'd agree if there was an indication that the activities are continuing, but I see no indication that Baffert is continuing down this path, so maybe he learned from the past or maybe the past wasn't entirely clear to the racing public to begin with.

Again, no judgement at all from me; maybe you all know more than I do though I keep up with the sport pretty well and as best I can...
I hear you peep, and I hope you're right. It's just hard to stomach when people rush to defend him while casting aspersions on an owner who has done measurable good for a lot of horses.

Anyways, back to Restoring Hope, I still think that if you take everything else he did in the race out of consideration, the way he was eased without being urged turning for home was deeply concerning.
Tessablue

Postby BigDonOKC » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Kurenai wrote:Guys, can you please take that argument elsewhere? Stick to PMs or something. This is not about the seven horses that died. Concentrate on the thread topic.

You are 100% right time to stop beating a dead horse. :? the race is over there are no redo time to move on so you lost should have play as I did the only way it would run 1/6 with 1/6 and he won the race at the 1/2 mile when they slow down only to good horse in the race and I had them.

let go and move on

:roll:
BigDonOKC

PreviousNext

Return to Racing