Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby BigDonOKC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 pm

stark wrote:Oh gosh BigDon, golly, gee whiz, what an honor!
But I'm sorry to say that I have a prior engagement, season seats for the Dodgers that could cause me a conflict of interest should sports wagering be allowed in California along with betting on the ponies.

I therefore designate my spot on the committee to somebody who will know all the legalities, Tessablue if he will accept it.



did not think you were up to it :P :P :P
BigDonOKC
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I believe NYRA still couples if the purse is under $50k.

I'm not sure I disagree with that though. The Lumbar Guy going down to miserably low odds in the Vosburgh because of the coupled entry sticks out in my mind.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 7389
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 pm

stark wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote: We could start by passing the Horseracing Integrity Act of 2017-18.


Horseracing Integrity Act of 2017

This bill establishes the Horseracing Anti-Doping and Medication Control Authority as an independent non-profit corporation with responsibility for developing and administering an anti-doping and medication control program for: (1) Thoroughbred, Quarter, and Standardbred horses that participate in horse races that have a substantial relation to interstate commerce, (2) such horse races, and (3) the personnel engaged in the care, training, or racing of such horses.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all horse racing anti-doping and medication control matters. The Authority and such FTC jurisdiction shall terminate if an interstate compact providing for services consistent with such program is established within five years after the program takes effect.

The Authority may enter into agreements with state racing commissions to implement the program within their jurisdictions.

Program elements shall include:

anti-doping and medication control rules,
lists of permitted and prohibited substances and methods,
a prohibition on the administration of any such substance within 24 hours of a horse's next racing start, and
testing and laboratory standards.
The Authority shall:

develop, maintain, and publish such lists;
establish a list of anti-doping and medication control rule violations applicable to either covered horses or persons;
establish standards and the process for laboratory accreditation and sample testing; and
promulgate rules for anti-doping and medication control results management, for the disciplinary process for violation results management, and for imposing sanctions for violations.
The bill sets forth civil enforcement provisions.

Activities under this bill are funded by an assessment placed on state racing commissions based on the calculation of cost per racing starter.

Yes, this would be a place to start standardizing things. Let's get this passed and then work on the broader issues. If we can't get this passed soon, I'm ready to go for the golden ring that will do it all. Tired of all the discussion and nothing getting done.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I believe NYRA still couples if the purse is under $50k.

I'm not sure I disagree with that though. The Lumbar Guy going down to miserably low odds in the Vosburgh because of the coupled entry sticks out in my mind.

It would have made betting the Belmont entirely different that's for sure. I'm not sure that would have changed at all the way the Belmont was run. But it's not very often that a triple crown would be on the line for one of the coupled entries.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby BigDonOKC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I believe NYRA still couples if the purse is under $50k.

I'm not sure I disagree with that though. The Lumbar Guy going down to miserably low odds in the Vosburgh because of the coupled entry sticks out in my mind.

It would have made betting the Belmont entirely different that's for sure. I'm not sure that would have changed at all the way the Belmont was run. But it's not very often that a triple crown would be on the line for one of the coupled entries.



year ago for get the track had a coupled entry of one and one A 2 and 2B it ran one 2b and 4 paid 1 4 ex because the 2 was not a live runer and 2b was not running for purse. even though it ran second 2b
BigDonOKC
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby stark » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:01 pm

BigDonOKC wrote:year ago for get the track had a coupled entry of one and one A 2 and 2B it ran one 2b and 4 paid 1 4 ex because the 2 was not a live runer and 2b was not running for purse. even though it ran second 2b


I remember that race, 2 days before the race Curtis posted right here he liked the 1-4 a lot.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Tessablue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 pm

stark wrote:I therefore designate my spot on the committee to somebody who will know all the legalities, Tessablue if he will accept it.
It's flattering to learn that you've somehow gained the impression that I have experience in law. A bit less flattering that you think I'm a man, but oh well.

I want standardized raceday procedures, centralized funding for medical and safety research, and informed dissemination of research findings and medical warnings. We don't know enough, and what we do know is hard to find.

On the transparency side, greater disclosure of ownership percentages in partnerships, reworked jockey suspensions to potentially include trainers if the horse was not ridden to win, and some standardization on the issue of rabbits and entrymates. Either new approaches to coupling or some sort of declaration system in the event that connections have multiple horses in the same race.
Tessablue
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby stark » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Why should it be federal and not individual state laws? For comparison some states people don't have to pay state income tax. Some states are more friendly to illegal aliens than other states
Some states let their people smoke marijuana while others don't. Who is to say the federal law would be in the best interest of all? Let's just take a simple topic like takeout. Does anybody think a federal ageny has the uniform answer?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Curtis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 pm

stark wrote:
BigDonOKC wrote:year ago for get the track had a coupled entry of one and one A 2 and 2B it ran one 2b and 4 paid 1 4 ex because the 2 was not a live runer and 2b was not running for purse. even though it ran second 2b


I remember that race, 2 days before the race Curtis posted right here he liked the 1-4 a lot.

Nah, I ended up betting the 4-1 straight since the 4 had a better liter to yard quotient. Woulda got it too, if only the darned jock on the 2B had kept his mount running straight on the clubhouse turn. Tough beat!
User avatar
Curtis
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA

Re: Justify/Restoring Hope...quite the duo

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm

stark wrote:Why should it be federal and not individual state laws? For comparison some states people don't have to pay state income tax. Some states are more friendly to illegal aliens than other states
Some states let their people smoke marijuana while others don't. Who is to say the federal law would be in the best interest of all? Let's just take a simple topic like takeout. Does anybody think a federal ageny has the uniform answer?

I'm not advocating for a federal law to establish or have oversight of a national commission. The Horseracing Integrity Act establishes a non-profit that is limited in scope. It's focus is the medication use and regulation part. These are two different things, but the provisions in the Act could lead the industry to establish a national commission, similar to other national sports, if an Interstate Compact isn't going well.

My personal feelings are that the issues in the industry are too broad to be solved through IC. I'm no expert on this but try to stay informed about the issues and pros and cons. And, because it isn't yet law, there could be substantial changes in the Horseracing Integrity Act in order to pass it.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests