How did NYRA do at Belmont this year?

Re: How did NYRA do at Belmont this year?

Postby Tessablue » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Yeah, I didn't feel unsafe at all but it's hard not to think about it, and ending the day being slowly crushed and separated from my group by a bunch of drunk bros was really unpleasant. Hate to leave the track feeling like that when so much of the rest of the day was fantastic.

I don't know if my husband will go back because it was a loooong day even for us hardcore fans (left at 7am, got home around 1:30am), but I noted how many people in the (largely non-racing) crowd were genuinely excited for the Belmont and thrilled by the result. I previously wondered if having two Triple Crowns in fairly quick succession would dull the crowd a little, and it wasn't quite the frenzy that 2015 was (how could it have been?), but I came away convinced that these TC attempts are good for racing as a whole. Lots of people talking about how excited they were that they got to witness it, and I suspect they'll go home and tell their friends to attend the next one.

Another note: saw a lot of people my age and younger using the betting machines instead of tellers. Not surprising at all and hopefully it's something that has been noted by the track.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I don't know if it's easier for you, but you could always take the ferry out of CT and stay on the North Shore of of Long Island for the weekend. There is a port at Port Jeff and the Eastern North Fork is really lovely this time of year (wineries, beaches, extremely charming and quaint New-England style towns) that would probably make your commute a lot better. It would be a longer ride into Belmont but going East after this event is a lot easier.

Stony Brook University is right there. Just expense it. :twisted:
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby stark » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Tessablue wrote:Another note: saw a lot of people my age and younger using the betting machines instead of tellers. Not surprising at all and hopefully it's something that has been noted by the track.

The union probably has a pretty strong word for how many self serve terminals are allowed.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Tessablue » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I don't know if it's easier for you, but you could always take the ferry out of CT and stay on the North Shore of of Long Island for the weekend. There is a port at Port Jeff and the Eastern North Fork is really lovely this time of year (wineries, beaches, extremely charming and quaint New-England style towns) that would probably make your commute a lot better.

Stony Brook University is right there. Just expense it. :twisted:

That does sound really nice! We haven't done it in a single day since 2003, it just happened this year because we couldn't find a reliable dogsitter for Friday night. But typically we stay in Queens and it's still pretty brutal, especially going home afterwards as the post time for the race keeps creeping later and later. Will definitely look into it for next year. Thanks!

Forgot to add this earlier, but speaking of things that get people excited about the sport... Gronkowski running second (in improbable and exciting fashion, too) was a pretty big boon. Have seen a lot of people talking about it online today, and there was plenty of talk at Suffolk today, though that isn't exactly surprising ;)
Tessablue

Postby stark » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Tessablue wrote:Forgot to add this earlier, but speaking of things that get people excited about the sport... Gronkowski running second (in improbable and exciting fashion, too) was a pretty big boon. Have seen a lot of people talking about it online today, and there was plenty of talk at Suffolk today, though that isn't exactly surprising ;)

Thank God for Justify, not sure how American racing would've explained a win by him, how weak was that crop?
stark

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:59 pm

stark wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Another note: saw a lot of people my age and younger using the betting machines instead of tellers. Not surprising at all and hopefully it's something that has been noted by the track.

The union probably has a pretty strong word for how many self serve terminals are allowed.

Are machines that take bills allowed at Belmont, or is it the same situation as at Saratoga, where the union won't allow the machines to take anything but vouchers and winning tickets, meaning at least one transaction -- and line to stand in -- more than the customer would normally make? Is aggravating customers a necessary evil to be tolerated in the name of saving jobs, even in an industry known for DMV-level customer service as it is?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 pm

stark wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Forgot to add this earlier, but speaking of things that get people excited about the sport... Gronkowski running second (in improbable and exciting fashion, too) was a pretty big boon. Have seen a lot of people talking about it online today, and there was plenty of talk at Suffolk today, though that isn't exactly surprising ;)

Thank God for Justify, not sure how American racing would've explained a win by him, how weak was that crop?

Those horses who handed Gronk his butt at Newbury and Newmarket are snickering in their stalls right now. I wonder if the owners of the horses he beat at Newcastle and Kempton are now dreaming of dirt glory in America!
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby thinair » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Distance and dirt, two things he had never dealt with, obviously moved up Gronkowski. Surprising? Yes, but hardly impossible. It's not as though Chad Brown wasn't effusive in his praise for how he was working.
thinair

Postby stark » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:44 pm

thinair wrote:It's not as though Chad Brown wasn't effusive in his praise for how he was working.

As was every other trainer with regards to their horse before the race.
stark

Postby Tessablue » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Yeah I don't understand the shade; Gronkowski was genuinely good yesterday. It wasn't as big a surprise as it would have been at the start of the day because the horse he's been handily outworking ran a pretty good second on the undercard and he looked just incredible in the post parade. Looking forward to seeing where Brown sends him next, and I kind of wonder how he would have liked that hot pace in the Derby.
Tessablue

PreviousNext

Return to Racing