Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:56 pm

I hope it was worth it!!!
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Beyond worth it. What a great day.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Horsebagger

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Epic day, no? Even had a nice chat with the Giants new head coach, Pat Shurmur. Told him having seen him at the races, i'm an even bigger fan.
Somnambulist

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Considering I got home in less than 35 minutes I'd say it might be the best day of my life. There was even soap in the bathrooms the entire day.

Tessa - thanks for your tip about the secret bathroom. I only went up there because you mentioned it and it was a godsend.

It was a day that was truly priceless. Now my sister just needs to come through clutch and get me a copy of Sports Illustrated again.
stark

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Now my sister just needs to come through clutch and get me a copy of Sports Illustrated again.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm so glad the tip helped and you had a great day! I definitely had one of my best Belmont days too, it was just a fantastic day of racing. Plenty more to say and puzzle over (that dance music thingy on the first floor among them), but still have some miles to go tonight.

And it took us over and hour just to get out of the parking lot and back to the track going the correct direction, so I am terribly jealous!
Della

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Just got home (near Philly), after THE BEST day of racing. It was absolutely worth leaving at 5:30am this morning.

Seeing Edgar win the Woodford for Graham Motion by an inch was amazing. So happy for Edgar. Then Justify - no words for he has accomplished.

Tessa - I, too, made use of that 3rd floor restroom - thanks for the tip.
Somnambulist

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:47 am

Tessablue wrote:I'm so glad the tip helped and you had a great day! I definitely had one of my best Belmont days too, it was just a fantastic day of racing. Plenty more to say and puzzle over (that dance music thingy on the first floor among them), but still have some miles to go tonight.

And it took us over and hour just to get out of the parking lot and back to the track going the correct direction, so I am terribly jealous!
The EDMing was unique. My boyfriend said it sounded like hell. I didn't mind but I primarily listen to house music (which was not being played).

The frat boys were something else. A lot of freeloaders in the seats but at least we got to argue with some people and have the other seat-payers back us up. That was fun. We both couldn't believe the amount of people who would rather take shitty quality photos and videos rather than see it with their own eyes.

I think next year we will pay for the Clubhouse or to sit in the restaurant because I'm really too old to be around drunk college kids.
Tessablue

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 am

Oh man the freeloaders were atrocious. Just dozens of frat boys in bow ties on the day who were kicked out of other people's seats. The ushers were fantastic about kicking them out and also preventing people from lighting up cigars (so gross), and the food options are so good now that the years of just bringing in snack foods and starving all day feel like a strange, distant memory.

The racing is absolutely fantastic and a lot of the amenities have gotten much, much better, but it really does feel like there's an alcohol problem at the event now and I'm pretty sick of dealing with drunk kids also. Getting to the paddock felt like stepping into a oasis filled with people who actually cared about what they were witnessing, but getting there was hell on earth. I get that they need to make money to keep the event as high-quality as it is, but I think the drunk kids are being over-targeted right now and the ratio needs a little adjusting to keep us fans from being chased out. That crowd was messy to a degree that I just don't ever recall seeing. And I spent my first day at Belmont on the rail drenched in beer.

But by far the biggest issue is the exiting at the end of the day. I assume you took the train home, was that okay? Because to get into the main parking lot they force everyone to exit single file into a fenced-in bottleneck and it is terribly dangerous. That's something I plan on actually following up on with the organization because it's been that way for several years now and it is just not acceptable. A really unfortunate end to what was otherwise a fantastic day.
Somnambulist

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:29 pm

We drove. Even with the $40 parking it's cheaper than what it would have cost us to take the LIRR. Plus the conductors are awful on big days when they know people are drinking so the riff raff would have been awful. We left around 8:20 and were East Bound on the Southern State by 8:35.

The ushers were amazing. The drinking was a huge problem but maybe I'm just an old woman now.
bare it all

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Dealing with all the drunks is what ruined the last Derby I went to. It was Animal Kingdoms and we left before the race was even run because it was just SO bad. I swore I’d never go again and I was barely 30 lol
stark

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Just move all the big races to Santa Anita, never hear of widespread problems like at Churchill, Pimlico or Belmont.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Rick1323

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I went, last minute and it cost me a small fortune before the first bet, but it was one of the best days at any track ever. Onto Saratoga......
Everyone come home sound.....