Belmont Gold Cup Invitational (Grade II)- Two Miles

Invasor

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:14 pm

I can’t wait for the Belmont Gold Cup Invitational !!

1 - Call To Mind (GB) - J. Castellano - W J Haggas

2 - Cooptado (ARG) - D. Davis - T Morley

3 - Prince of Arran (GB) - I. Ortiz, Jr. - C Fellowes

4 - Funny Kid (KY) - M. H Guyon - C Ferland

5 - Canessar (FR) - F Lynch - A Delacour

6 - Nessy (KY) - Mike Smith - I R Wilkes

7 - Run Time (KY) - Luis Saez - M J Maker

8 - Postulation (KY) - F Geroux - E L Graham

9 - Focus Group (KY) - J L Ortiz - C C Brown

10 - Rocketry (KY) - John Velazquez - J A Jerkens
Starine

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm

A lot of posters here have knocked route races like this; claiming they are boring and such.

But they're so rare these days I find them to be a real treat. I really wish they had more races at a mile and a half and beyond. Heck, even a mile and a quarter.
Invasor

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:24 pm

I couldn't agree more. The Belmont Gold Cup is a very cool race and has quickly risen to grade 2 status.

Funny Kid will be favored to win. Horses like Nessy or Call To Mind has not raced beyond a mile-and-three-quarters, but Funny Kid has raced at both two miles and 2 1/16 miles on a synthetic surface, finishing first and second, respectively, and was third in a handicap last year at Deauville. He enters off a victory in the Prix de Barbeville (G3), going about two miles (1.92 miles) at ParisLongchamp.

Funny Kid - Prix de Barbeville 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Sp1OUk6_w
Starine

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the race and am already inclined to root for Funny Kid as I was a very big fan of Lemon Drop Kid when he was racing.
Treve

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 pm

I love route races personally I find them pretty exciting as "it ain't over 'till it's over" often applies. Not to mention the courage and tenacity of these horses is woefully under appreciated. If US racing wants to keep it's status on the world stage as other nations emerge I think it's worth working back some real stayers into our breeding programs.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder