Remember when..

Somnambulist

Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Brother Derek was a Derby favorite?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark

Wed May 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Wasn't Sweetnothernsaint with KentD up the favourite that year?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
CoronadosQuest

Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

stark wrote:Wasn't Sweetnothernsaint with KentD up the favourite that year?
Brother Derek was ML favorite.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/spor ... 4draw.html
Horsebagger

Wed May 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Brother Derek was a Derby favorite?
12 years since the debut of 'The First Saturday in May' and the world's introduction to Jake Romans.
stark

Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
stark wrote:Wasn't Sweetnothernsaint with KentD up the favourite that year?
Brother Derek was ML favorite.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/spor ... 4draw.html
Oh I see, thanks. I thought maybe we were discussing Dancing With The Stars?
Somnambulist

Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Horsebagger wrote:12 years since the debut of 'The First Saturday in May' and the world's introduction to Jake Romans.
I think if you get your kid to love this game as much as you do it's a success. That kid lived my childhood fantasy. Which, apparently, at the ripe of old of 29 I am still easily reduced to childhood status at the discovery of some old Blood Horse magazines.

If we would like to continue with the crash-course of interested Derby/prohibitive/future Derby favorites of recent years Value Plus is surely one.
Tessablue

Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Oh man I was obsessed with Value Plus back in the day. And Chapel Royal. And Cuvee and First Samurai and Halfbridled...

Personally, my favorite post-time Derby favorites are Dialed In and Friesan Fire.
Charlie

Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Tessablue wrote:Oh man I was obsessed with Value Plus back in the day. And Chapel Royal. And Cuvee and First Samurai and Halfbridled...

Personally, my favorite post-time Derby favorites are Dialed In and Friesan Fire.

I vaguely remember liking First Samurai, but in '06 I was all about Barbaro. My inner 13 yr old self still thinks he's the bee's knees.
bare it all

Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm

One name for you.

High Fly.

Zito had what, 5 or 6 in the gate that year? The year when Giacomo won. 2005? I thought Afleet Alex, Sun King and High Fly were just such nice horses.
thinair

Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
12 years since the debut of 'The First Saturday in May' and the world's introduction to Jake Romans.
He finally got a job....assuming he hasn't quit or been fired yet.
stark

Thu May 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Just one year before Brother Derek, perhaps one of the biggest shams of all time when the paparazzi and turf reporters convinced the nation that Bellamy Road was a good thing in the Derby. Sent off as a prohibitive 5/2 shot in the 20 horse field off his victory in the Wood Memorial, Bellamy was a soundly beaten 7th, losing to the $100 winner Giacomo with Mike Smith aboard for the Zenyatta connections.

Bellamy Road would be seen for just the 7th time in his career, one start after the Derby where he was bet down to 2/1 in The Travers and lost to Flower Alley.
Somnambulist

Thu May 31, 2018 2:37 pm

It was an other wordly performance.
Big Ten

Thu May 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Remember back in 2018 when Justify became our 13th Triple Crown winner? Oh, wait.. That hasn't happened yet. I'm from the future. Just kidding. I'm not jinxing him. He already broke a 136-year old one. He's a horse of fate to me on June 9th. Big Reds love Big Sandy, I'm telling ya... ;)

I had fond memories of Brother Derek. That horse made me money starting with the Hollywood Futurity. Beautiful horse but he was just too small. I bet on him to beat Stevie Wonderboy and he did. I probably rank BD somewhere in my Top 30+. Beautiful, little Cal-bred out of Benchmark.

Then Brother Derek drew a bad position (#18) for the Kentucky Derby. Ran 4th again in the Preakness and BC Classic. I made money with a Lava Man-Brother Derek exacta in the Goodwood. Giacomo finished 3rd. Very cool trifecta to see and they even paraded all three after the race.

I'm about 8 years older than Som or around the same age as Kennedy, so most of my early memories started in 1996 with the great Cigar! I know he was a little overrated, not as brilliant as Ghostzapper, but Cigar raised me during my early years with the sport. Cigar, Bailey, Mott, D. Wayne Lukas, McCarron, and Mandella were part of my formative years with the sport.

Remember Rick's Natural Star?
https://youtu.be/VIqeCgs5W3A

Two of my favorite races of all-time that I've probably rewatched the most...

1996 Dubai World Cup
https://youtu.be/ER5-uGMCQHo

I actually met Soul Of The Matter as a stallion. I wasn't a fan when he raced but he was the kindest stallion I have ever met. Even got his old horse shoe as a souvenir. Such a gentle Soul.

1996 Kentucky Derby
https://youtu.be/ZR3zyEq3UoA

^ That's when I knew Baffert would be my favorite horse trainer ever and Bailey and McCarron would rank #1 & #2 forever for me among favorite jockeys. I would wear out that VHS containing that ABC telecast.

But two of my favorite races I attended was the 2005 Santa Anita Handicap and 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic. That's why the 17.3h Rock Hard Ten and 17.2h Zenyatta still rank #1 and #2. They're not my favorite color in a horse but they will probably rank 1-2 forever since I saw them the most in person.

Justify can rank #3 or #4 at best among my favs. We'll see. Tough to put him over Cigar and Ghostzapper. Probably could put him above Lava Man. I can love all my favorite racehorses fairly equally like all my favorite movies and songs.

Favorite racehorse - Rock Hard Ten
Favorite athlete - Michael Jordan
Favorite sports team - LA Clippers
Favorite city to visit - New York City
Favorite country to visit - Japan
Favorite movie - Maverick (1994)
Favorite song - So many. Depends on my mood...

Among female music artists, this one.
https://youtu.be/41P8UxneDJE
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Rick1323

Thu May 31, 2018 4:47 pm

stark wrote:Just one year before Brother Derek, perhaps one of the biggest shams of all time when the paparazzi and turf reporters convinced the nation that Bellamy Road was a good thing in the Derby. Sent off as a prohibitive 5/2 shot in the 20 horse field off his victory in the Wood Memorial, Bellamy was a soundly beaten 7th, losing to the $100 winner Giacomo with Mike Smith aboard for the Zenyatta connections.

Bellamy Road would be seen for just the 7th time in his career, one start after the Derby where he was bet down to 2/1 in The Travers and lost to Flower Alley.
I stood to make a few grand on Derby futures on BR. One of the few futures who even made the gate for me. I made several saver bets, but not a dime on Giacomo...........I hated that Derby..........
Everyone come home sound.....
Horsebagger

Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 pm

thinair wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
He finally got a job....assuming he hasn't quit or been fired yet.
Cooking for Dad's friends somewhere?
Flanders

Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 pm

bare it all wrote:One name for you.

High Fly.

Zito had what, 5 or 6 in the gate that year? The year when Giacomo won. 2005? I thought Afleet Alex, Sun King and High Fly were just such nice horses.
I had convinced myself Bandini was going to win that year.