Preakness Day

Treve

Sat May 19, 2018 8:54 pm

If it makes everyone feel better, I do think that if the horse is not 100% there's a good chance they won't run him. Baffert got his TC two years ago... he had no hesitation about shelving McKinzie for being a little off even though the scans were inconclusive at the time. He did state in the post-Preakness comments just now that Justify would have to be training really really exceptionally well for him to start in the Belmont. I don't know WinStar well enough as an owner but if they do take care of their horses then... I have faith if the horse is running it will be because they think he can handle it, not because of greed.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
lurkey mclurker

Sat May 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman

Justify got a Beyer Speed Figure of 97 for the Preakness. That is the first time he has had a fig of less than 101. Shows how hard this race was, yet he still gutted it out. Makes Belmont very intriguing.
https://twitter.com/DRFPrivman/status/9 ... 5552483328
Tessablue

Sat May 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Treve wrote:Burgoo King and Bold Venture along with I'll Have Another are the only horses in history who scratched before the Belmont after winning the first two legs.

I seem to recall the NY times did some kind of report on IHA's vet records but I can't remember what it was about. Was that related to him being off?
I think that was after the race and mostly just because of the fervor around Doug O'Neill, which is something... certain... trainers are immune to. The tell came from his gallops- he always favored his left lead, but he started consistently switching to his right lead halfway though the Belmont turns. I only remember it because I was on break at the time so I had a lot of time to watch his gallops, and I spent several days worrying about it until he was finally withdrawn. They did the right thing, but it was such a shame. He would have walked in that race.
Somnambulist wrote: I was thinking the same thing an hour ago.

I'm kind of bummed. My boyfriend have never experienced a TC lead up and I've never experienced a TC attempt at Belmont that I wasn't also working. I'm still really looking forward to it but I wish I felt better about it on a moral level. Hopefully I am just being dramatic.
I totally feel you. I'm also bummed because my dog is terminally ill and there's a chance we won't be able to go, so I don't want to miss a TC, but I don't want to see the horse ruined, but it would be nice for the two people I'm bringing to experience a TC win if we are able to go... etc. Lots of mixed feelings. Hopefully everything works out, he bounces back just fine, and we get a good fair race on Belmont day. A sunny, 70 degree Belmont day.
Somnambulist

Sat May 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Sorry about your pupper. :(

You were there in 2015, right? There's something to be said for seeing one in person and then maybe another on TV. If you end up not being able to go I'm more than happy to get as many programs for you as you'd like and mail them to you.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue

Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Sorry about your pupper. :(

You were there in 2015, right? There's something to be said for seeing one in person and then maybe another on TV. If you end up not being able to go I'm more than happy to get as many programs for you as you'd like and mail them to you.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I was there in 2015 and I imagine there are some advantages to experiencing a TC without having to worry about dehydration, getting beer spilled on you, or a three hour drive home... but there's nothing like it and I'm interested to see if the mood has changed at all since 2015. I won't be able to make a decision until probably a day or two before the race, but I'll let you know. Thanks again for the offer.

On a lighter note, this tweet from Marcus Hersh gave me a bit of a laugh:

@DRFHersh
I've learned on twitter that Justify, running on fumes, gutted out that Preakness win while Mike Smith simultaneously kept him fresh and held something in reserve for the Belmont.
Treve

Sat May 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks tb, and very sorry about your pup, we lost one of ours in Feb, 12 and a half years old (large dog but still, it's so hard to see them go).
Tessablue wrote: On a lighter note, this tweet from Marcus Hersh gave me a bit of a laugh:

@DRFHersh
I've learned on twitter that Justify, running on fumes, gutted out that Preakness win while Mike Smith simultaneously kept him fresh and held something in reserve for the Belmont.
lmao I'm seeing a lot of people trying to claim he was toying with them, that Mike geared him down after he 'broke Good Magic's will'... all of them conveniently choosing to ignore Mike's comment on the broadcast that Justify was tired.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Trainer Steve Asmussen on a potential Belmont Stakes run for Tenfold:

"Absolutely. Heck yes."
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue

Sat May 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Thank you Treve, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog as well. Belle is 13 which is old for a corgi, but it's still so hard to accept even after they've led a good long life.

It's been a very rough couple of weeks, so maybe that's coloring my opinion right now. No matter what Justify does going forward, he's already accomplished something extraordinary.
stark wrote:Trainer Steve Asmussen on a potential Belmont Stakes run for Tenfold:

"Absolutely. Heck yes."
Glad to hear it. He ran well today and I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best of him yet.
SSilence86

Sun May 20, 2018 4:00 am

Justify's time:

Fractional- 23.11, 24.19, 1:11.42, 1:36.10
Final- 1:55.93
Split- (24.08) (24.23) (24.68) (19.83)
Ingrid

Sun May 20, 2018 4:11 am

Barbara Livingston caught Justify’s jump

https://twitter.com/drflivingston/statu ... 79104?s=21
"Grief is the price we pay for love." - Gretchen Jackson
Ballerina

Sun May 20, 2018 7:36 am

Tessablue - I'm sorry to hear your Corgi dog is failing. I owned Corgis for many years. Great dogs. They mixed well with the Ridgebacks = not having any conception of how much smaller they are. Never easy saying goodbye.
carole

Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 am

That photo of the jump is incredible!

Tessablue-so sorry to hear about your dog, I know how difficult it is to lose a beloved pet, they are family after all. But like everyone has said, you can rest easy knowing that your pup had a wonderful life with you.
Treve

Sun May 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Tessablue wrote:Thank you Treve, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog as well. Belle is 13 which is old for a corgi, but it's still so hard to accept even after they've led a good long life.

It's been a very rough couple of weeks, so maybe that's coloring my opinion right now. No matter what Justify does going forward, he's already accomplished something extraordinary.
stark wrote:Trainer Steve Asmussen on a potential Belmont Stakes run for Tenfold:

"Absolutely. Heck yes."
Glad to hear it. He ran well today and I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best of him yet.
Thank you. I understand completely. I'm sure you're doing everything you can to make Belle's end of life as golden as possible, and I believe that if she could speak she'd say thank you. Many internet hugs <3

I also like Bravazo's chances moving forward, can't help wanting for a son of Awesome Again out of a Cee's Tizzy mare and whose second dam is by Slew O' Gold, wearing Calumet's colours to do well. I think the Summer/Fall stakes for 3yos will be pretty exciting this year.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Sun May 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Treve wrote: I also like Bravazo's chances moving forward,
Keep in mind that Mikey was taking directions from fellow HOFer Kent Desormeaux, he knew he had Good Magic beaten and eased up near the wire, and said this morning on SoCal radio..... "I never saw Bravazo closing on the outside, wasn't expecting that, he must've run a helluva race"
Treve

Sun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Yes, that's what I mean - he improved off his last effort, I like his chances to continue improving.
Note I don't necessarily mean in the Belmont or against Justify, but just in general, I think he could be a horse on the improve. Not exactly a precocious pedigree on him either.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for this one?.......

Trainer John Servis says Diamond King came out of the Preakness well. Ohio Derby or Indiana Derby next for him.
Tessablue

Sun May 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Ballerina wrote:Tessablue - I'm sorry to hear your Corgi dog is failing. I owned Corgis for many years. Great dogs. They mixed well with the Ridgebacks = not having any conception of how much smaller they are. Never easy saying goodbye.
carole wrote: Tessablue-so sorry to hear about your dog, I know how difficult it is to lose a beloved pet, they are family after all. But like everyone has said, you can rest easy knowing that your pup had a wonderful life with you.
Treve wrote: Thank you. I understand completely. I'm sure you're doing everything you can to make Belle's end of life as golden as possible, and I believe that if she could speak she'd say thank you. Many internet hugs <3
Thank you, all of you. I truly appreciate it. I'm sure your dog would have said the same Treve- hugs to you as well : )
lurkey mclurker

Sun May 20, 2018 5:40 pm

*hugs for everyone* <3

I had my beloved basset for 17 years (half of those she was paralyzed in the hind-end, we had one of those K-9 carts and I was so grateful that the technology existed)... it's never long enough, is it. And it's so hard when we know we're getting to the end of our time with them.
Diver52

Sun May 20, 2018 8:04 pm

I lost my 13 yo German Shorthaired Pointer, Humphrey, last Saturday--he'd been in good health but he got an intestinal blockage (peach pit plus paper!) and although surgery went well, things just spiraled down, one damn thing after another. But my local rescue had a senior GSP who needed a home. . .so now I have Dooley. I know everyone is different, but for me, the love I had for the lost dog has to go somewhere. But I know that when the little cedar box arrives, I'll cry buckets again. I'll cuddle it and probably talk to it. Just the way it is.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm

TessaBlue, I wish you weren't about to lose your beloved Corgi. I know too well those days when you're trying everything to make a pet feel better, but you can feel the tide of their little life receding.
Diver 52, I'm so sorry about Humphrey, but I applaud your desire to keep loving...and for giving a senior dog a much needed home. When I lost my first Siamese, the pain was awful...but I went looking for another cat within a week. The house was too empty and I had become too accustomed to having a purring friend on my lap.
Hugs to everyone with four-legged friends. We love them while we have them.