Sports Betting

Re: Sports Betting

Postby stark » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Big Ten wrote:Crossover betting could help horse racing.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23 ... rse-racing

"I was at the Golden Nugget for about a year and a half, and we had a race and sportsbook together," Andrews said. "And as a lot of guys were just kinda sitting around watching the games or waiting for them to start, they would play some horses -- that's kind of the mentality of a gambler. I wouldn't necessarily say they were real horse players, but it was right in front of them, and they definitely did it a little bit. If they [offer sports betting] in these racinos or at the horse track, I think you'll get a little spillover from that.


Thinking back to the early days of the memorable books in Vegas casinos, from The Stardust to Caesers to The Hilton, I will agree that there were some occasional crossover bettors sighted. But by far, there were those who held the other crowd in total disdain, sports bettors didn't like horseplayers and vice versa. Today's theme is showcased at The South Point Casino (where Andrews is currently) where they proudly advertise separate rooms for each kind of player. Hope horse racing isn't counting on that for a revenue stream.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Sports Betting

Postby Big Ten » Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 am

California legalized recreational marijuana, so I should be more than okay with this. It's like having access to a sports book in my state. I already have an online sports betting account, so it doesn't really affect me. Just makes it more accessible.

One of the reasons I followed horse racing was the gambling aspect of it. I don't gamble as much as before and have an annual budget of a few hundred bucks per year with it. I think there is more butterflies in my stomach and a thrill if money is on the line.

My favorite sports is NBA basketball, then horse racing, and then NFL football. I can watch some MLB baseball on occasion as well as boxing and MMA. I just recently won some money on the Celtics after they killed my Sixers bet. I can wager soon on NBA games and on horses at the same place.

Love it. Crossover betting.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/nation/arti ... 914120.php

“To prevent expansion of gaming and have it online, it would be good to have it at brick-and-mortar facilities,” said Tim Ritvo, chief operating officer of Stronach Group, which owns Golden Gate Fields, Santa Anita and several other major tracks. “They can bet a ballgame, can bet on horses in between. It could be an embracing moment where we complete the entertainment experience for the customers who have been doing it illegally for years.”
Rock Hard Ten. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. California Chrome. Seattle Slew. Secretariat. Affirmed.
User avatar
Big Ten
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Sports Betting

Postby stark » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Sports Betting

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Sports Betting Gets Green Light in New Jersey
...In a Monday statement, Murphy said, “I’m thrilled to sign Assembly Bill 4111, because it means that our casinos in Atlantic City and our racetracks throughout our state can attract new business and new fans, boosting their own long-term financial prospects.”

On Wednesday, the New Jersey Racing Commission will hold a meeting to review regulations related to the establishment of sports betting at New Jersey racetracks. Once the meeting is complete, Murphy will be able to ratify the Racing Commission’s decision and licensed racetracks will then be able to apply for a temporary waiver to commence sports betting.

With betting expected to begin Thursday at Monmouth, the Oceanport oval is in position to unlock a new revenue stream that will likely improve purses and race dates, according to Drazin.

More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sports-betting-gets-green-light-in-new-jersey
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Sports Betting

Postby Rick1323 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Most states will screw this up. The odds are long established at bet 6 to win 5. But you have to be willing to take the occasional loss if you want to book bets. States don't have the appitite for any kind of loss. So they will either screw with the odds, say bet 7 to win 5, or they will chrge a commission for a bet. 5% might work, 10% serious bettors will stick with off shore or illegal bookies,,,,,
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: Sports Betting

Postby Apollo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 pm

stark wrote:
Big Ten wrote:Crossover betting could help horse racing.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23 ... rse-racing

"I was at the Golden Nugget for about a year and a half, and we had a race and sportsbook together," Andrews said. "And as a lot of guys were just kinda sitting around watching the games or waiting for them to start, they would play some horses -- that's kind of the mentality of a gambler. I wouldn't necessarily say they were real horse players, but it was right in front of them, and they definitely did it a little bit. If they [offer sports betting] in these racinos or at the horse track, I think you'll get a little spillover from that.


Thinking back to the early days of the memorable books in Vegas casinos, from The Stardust to Caesers to The Hilton, I will agree that there were some occasional crossover bettors sighted. But by far, there were those who held the other crowd in total disdain, sports bettors didn't like horseplayers and vice versa. Today's theme is showcased at The South Point Casino (where Andrews is currently) where they proudly advertise separate rooms for each kind of player. Hope horse racing isn't counting on that for a revenue stream.


I didn't see a heck of a lot of disdain. Definitely a different crowd and not nearly as much crossover as one might expect. But it was more of a complete fixation on what was in front of you, and basically not caring what the other side was doing. That's why most race and sportsbooks quickly learned to separate the two areas and in some cases they weren't anywhere near each other. When I worked at the Horseshoe sportsbook it was a hike to reach the race book. Even the wise guy joints like Churchill Downs, Gary Austin's and Santa Anita all had separate rooms for race and sports.

The early Golden Nugget was definitely a different set up because the book itself was so tiny with very little seating. It was incredibly crammed given how much action they were taking. The first time I walked in there in the late '80s I couldn't believe they were trying to run a race book out of so little territory.

As I've mentioned, to get the sports guys crossing over you need things like head to head matchups with low juice. The MGM Grand started offering matchups for big money maybe 20 years ago. They had a race book manager who would shade the lines based on his own opinion. That immediately drew the attention of sports guys who were plunking down five figure wagers on those matchups. I know I've told the story many times on how that MGM guy suckered many of us in on Artax in the Derby. Artax was roughly 10-1 but the matchup was a 30-1 shot slightly favored over Artax. We jumped in with both fists and got it shoved up our rear.

I will never stop hating Artax, who deserves to be punched multiple times every day.
Apollo
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Sports Betting

Postby bare it all » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Apollo wrote:I will never stop hating Artax, who deserves to be punched multiple times every day.


I quite honestly laughed out loud at this. I'm sorry for the cash loss, but thats just a pure gold statement. :lol:
User avatar
bare it all
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Sports Betting

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm

William Hill US Verified account @WilliamHillUS
2h2 hours ago
The first sports bet at @MonmouthPark Sports Book by William Hill will be at 10:30am on Thursday, June 14th.
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Sports Betting

Postby honneerider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Pretty fitting that Dennis Drazin, president and CEO of Darby Development LLC, which operates Monmouth Park, has a 2 yr old named
SPORTS BETTING (#5, 6/5), finished 1st at Monmouth Park in Race 1, a 4 1/2 Furlong Dirt $36,000 MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT.
User avatar
honneerider
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Sports Betting

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:46 pm

honneerider wrote:Pretty fitting that Dennis Drazin, president and CEO of Darby Development LLC, which operates Monmouth Park, has a 2 yr old named
SPORTS BETTING (#5, 6/5), finished 1st at Monmouth Park in Race 1, a 4 1/2 Furlong Dirt $36,000 MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT.

LOL.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests