Sports Betting

Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Looks like this is good to go.

I'm not too sure how I feel about it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1084
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Mon May 14, 2018 3:08 pm

If the states tell the racinos they need to continue running horse races to get sports betting added to their slots and card games, then that might buy racing a few more years in the racino states. In non-racino states, this is just another nail in the coffin of parimutuels. New Jersey's racing interests seem to be 100 percent behind sports betting, so they must be expecting that they'll be getting it even if Atlantic City continues to block their access to slots and cards.
Apollo
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Horse racing has to offer matchups and other props, if it hopes to retain anything close to its current market share.

Throw away the fear and the excuses. They are nothing but laughable. Belinda Stronach seems to be among the very few who understand that new and more aggressive types of wagers have to be offered...on site and online.
MySaladDays
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 pm

competition for entertainment and betting dollars is always there, have to stay in the current or you die.

Doesn't matter how I feel about it. What I mostly see at Oaklawn is one spouse is on the racing side all day, the other spouse is on the casino side all day.

If there were not both sides, it's very likely that neither spouse would attend, and certainly not together.

Sundays all the grandaprents bring the grandkids to the racing side.....a good family day of entertainment. They oculd all be over at Magic Springs instead.

Appeal to as many possible types as possible.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm

MySaladDays wrote:competition for entertainment and betting dollars is always there, have to stay in the current or you die.
Which is racing's problem.

My boyfriend is great to indulge my love of racing. He bets a little. If he could better soccer or MLB at the track that will get his money, not racing. I see this as a huge problem.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Big Ten
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Mon May 14, 2018 10:17 pm

I love it.

Makes watching games more fun when money is on the line.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 am

Supreme Court strikes down PASPA, paves way for sports betting

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday ruled that a 1992 federal law prohibiting states from authorizing gambling on sports is unconstitutional, a decision that could lead to sports wagering in New Jersey within weeks and potentially open up the practice in other states down the line.

http://www.drf.com/news/supreme-court-s ... ts-betting
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Tue May 15, 2018 8:04 am

Monmouth Park Expects to Soon Offer Sports Wagering

New Jersey racetrack was a major player in push to overturn federal law.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-wagering
stark
Posts: 3862
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am

So, everybody wants a piece of the pie, how much will takeout be?

Should the NBA and MLB be entitled to a small percentage, as they say, without us you got nothing!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Big Ten
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Crossover betting could help horse racing.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23 ... rse-racing
"I was at the Golden Nugget for about a year and a half, and we had a race and sportsbook together," Andrews said. "And as a lot of guys were just kinda sitting around watching the games or waiting for them to start, they would play some horses -- that's kind of the mentality of a gambler. I wouldn't necessarily say they were real horse players, but it was right in front of them, and they definitely did it a little bit. If they [offer sports betting] in these racinos or at the horse track, I think you'll get a little spillover from that.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
stark
Posts: 3862
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Big Ten wrote:Crossover betting could help horse racing.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23 ... rse-racing
"I was at the Golden Nugget for about a year and a half, and we had a race and sportsbook together," Andrews said. "And as a lot of guys were just kinda sitting around watching the games or waiting for them to start, they would play some horses -- that's kind of the mentality of a gambler. I wouldn't necessarily say they were real horse players, but it was right in front of them, and they definitely did it a little bit. If they [offer sports betting] in these racinos or at the horse track, I think you'll get a little spillover from that.
Thinking back to the early days of the memorable books in Vegas casinos, from The Stardust to Caesers to The Hilton, I will agree that there were some occasional crossover bettors sighted. But by far, there were those who held the other crowd in total disdain, sports bettors didn't like horseplayers and vice versa. Today's theme is showcased at The South Point Casino (where Andrews is currently) where they proudly advertise separate rooms for each kind of player. Hope horse racing isn't counting on that for a revenue stream.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Big Ten
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 am

California legalized recreational marijuana, so I should be more than okay with this. It's like having access to a sports book in my state. I already have an online sports betting account, so it doesn't really affect me. Just makes it more accessible.

One of the reasons I followed horse racing was the gambling aspect of it. I don't gamble as much as before and have an annual budget of a few hundred bucks per year with it. I think there is more butterflies in my stomach and a thrill if money is on the line.

My favorite sports is NBA basketball, then horse racing, and then NFL football. I can watch some MLB baseball on occasion as well as boxing and MMA. I just recently won some money on the Celtics after they killed my Sixers bet. I can wager soon on NBA games and on horses at the same place.

Love it. Crossover betting.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/nation/arti ... 914120.php
“To prevent expansion of gaming and have it online, it would be good to have it at brick-and-mortar facilities,” said Tim Ritvo, chief operating officer of Stronach Group, which owns Golden Gate Fields, Santa Anita and several other major tracks. “They can bet a ballgame, can bet on horses in between. It could be an embracing moment where we complete the entertainment experience for the customers who have been doing it illegally for years.”
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
stark
Posts: 3862
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Sports Betting Gets Green Light in New Jersey
...In a Monday statement, Murphy said, “I’m thrilled to sign Assembly Bill 4111, because it means that our casinos in Atlantic City and our racetracks throughout our state can attract new business and new fans, boosting their own long-term financial prospects.”

On Wednesday, the New Jersey Racing Commission will hold a meeting to review regulations related to the establishment of sports betting at New Jersey racetracks. Once the meeting is complete, Murphy will be able to ratify the Racing Commission’s decision and licensed racetracks will then be able to apply for a temporary waiver to commence sports betting.

With betting expected to begin Thursday at Monmouth, the Oceanport oval is in position to unlock a new revenue stream that will likely improve purses and race dates, according to Drazin.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/sp ... new-jersey
Rick1323
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Most states will screw this up. The odds are long established at bet 6 to win 5. But you have to be willing to take the occasional loss if you want to book bets. States don't have the appitite for any kind of loss. So they will either screw with the odds, say bet 7 to win 5, or they will chrge a commission for a bet. 5% might work, 10% serious bettors will stick with off shore or illegal bookies,,,,,
Everyone come home sound.....
Apollo
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 pm

stark wrote:
Big Ten wrote:Crossover betting could help horse racing.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23 ... rse-racing
"I was at the Golden Nugget for about a year and a half, and we had a race and sportsbook together," Andrews said. "And as a lot of guys were just kinda sitting around watching the games or waiting for them to start, they would play some horses -- that's kind of the mentality of a gambler. I wouldn't necessarily say they were real horse players, but it was right in front of them, and they definitely did it a little bit. If they [offer sports betting] in these racinos or at the horse track, I think you'll get a little spillover from that.
Thinking back to the early days of the memorable books in Vegas casinos, from The Stardust to Caesers to The Hilton, I will agree that there were some occasional crossover bettors sighted. But by far, there were those who held the other crowd in total disdain, sports bettors didn't like horseplayers and vice versa. Today's theme is showcased at The South Point Casino (where Andrews is currently) where they proudly advertise separate rooms for each kind of player. Hope horse racing isn't counting on that for a revenue stream.
I didn't see a heck of a lot of disdain. Definitely a different crowd and not nearly as much crossover as one might expect. But it was more of a complete fixation on what was in front of you, and basically not caring what the other side was doing. That's why most race and sportsbooks quickly learned to separate the two areas and in some cases they weren't anywhere near each other. When I worked at the Horseshoe sportsbook it was a hike to reach the race book. Even the wise guy joints like Churchill Downs, Gary Austin's and Santa Anita all had separate rooms for race and sports.

The early Golden Nugget was definitely a different set up because the book itself was so tiny with very little seating. It was incredibly crammed given how much action they were taking. The first time I walked in there in the late '80s I couldn't believe they were trying to run a race book out of so little territory.

As I've mentioned, to get the sports guys crossing over you need things like head to head matchups with low juice. The MGM Grand started offering matchups for big money maybe 20 years ago. They had a race book manager who would shade the lines based on his own opinion. That immediately drew the attention of sports guys who were plunking down five figure wagers on those matchups. I know I've told the story many times on how that MGM guy suckered many of us in on Artax in the Derby. Artax was roughly 10-1 but the matchup was a 30-1 shot slightly favored over Artax. We jumped in with both fists and got it shoved up our rear.

I will never stop hating Artax, who deserves to be punched multiple times every day.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Apollo wrote: I will never stop hating Artax, who deserves to be punched multiple times every day.
I quite honestly laughed out loud at this. I'm sorry for the cash loss, but thats just a pure gold statement. :lol:
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm

William Hill US Verified account @WilliamHillUS
2h2 hours ago
The first sports bet at @MonmouthPark Sports Book by William Hill will be at 10:30am on Thursday, June 14th.
Image
User avatar
honneerider
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm
Contact:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Pretty fitting that Dennis Drazin, president and CEO of Darby Development LLC, which operates Monmouth Park, has a 2 yr old named
SPORTS BETTING (#5, 6/5), finished 1st at Monmouth Park in Race 1, a 4 1/2 Furlong Dirt $36,000 MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4660
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:46 pm

honneerider wrote:Pretty fitting that Dennis Drazin, president and CEO of Darby Development LLC, which operates Monmouth Park, has a 2 yr old named
SPORTS BETTING (#5, 6/5), finished 1st at Monmouth Park in Race 1, a 4 1/2 Furlong Dirt $36,000 MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT.
LOL.
Post Reply