2018 Preakness Stakes

Ballerina

Mon May 14, 2018 10:01 am

2nd time -does anyone know when the post position draw is? :-)
stark

Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 am

Ballerina wrote:2nd time -does anyone know when the post position draw is? :-)
Date: Wednesday, May 16

Time: 5 p.m. ET, midday BST

Live Stream: NBCSports.com
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 am

stark wrote:
Ballerina wrote:2nd time -does anyone know when the post position draw is? :-)
Date: Wednesday, May 16

Time: 5 p.m. ET, midday BST

Live Stream: NBCSports.com
Thank you. I thought it might be Tuesday - like the Derby draw was. I couldn't find it any place I looked.
stark

Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am

Ballerina

Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks again. Exactly what I was looking for. We're on vacation in Lexington visiting horse farms and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Going to see Gun Runner and Chrome on Thursday and Wise Dan on Friday. Woo hoo!
stark

Mon May 14, 2018 10:44 am

Ballerina wrote: We're on vacation in Lexington visiting horse farms and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Going to see Gun Runner and Chrome on Thursday and Wise Dan on Friday. Woo hoo!
Not so sure about Chrome, but those other two.....I took the even money odds that they would recognize you!
Enjoy!
Ballerina

Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am

stark wrote:
Ballerina wrote: We're on vacation in Lexington visiting horse farms and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Going to see Gun Runner and Chrome on Thursday and Wise Dan on Friday. Woo hoo!
Not so sure about Chrome, but those other two.....I took the even money odds that they would recognize you!
Enjoy!
It will be the first time we're seeing Chrome in person, and we can only hope that Gunner and Wise Dan do recognize us. It's very exciting.
Apollo

Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am

Tessablue wrote:Anyways, major kudos to the connections of Good Magic for making this race interesting.
Yes, although it is preposterous that it has reached this point, with the second best horse in the Derby trying to find any excuse to bypass the Preakness.

He's too good. I'm too scared to challenge him. I need to take a rest and find a soft spot in a few months.

In any other sport that type of attitude would be a parody, a disgrace. You'd be laughed out of the room and never respected again. Yet somehow in horse racing not only is that mindset standard fare but you've actually got fans who encourage it and applaud it.
stark

Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am

Makes one wonder if Good Magic had won the Derby, was he an automatic entry into the Preakness or would there have been some discussions amongst the connections?
FlyToTheStars

Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Thanks again. Exactly what I was looking for. We're on vacation in Lexington visiting horse farms and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Going to see Gun Runner and Chrome on Thursday and Wise Dan on Friday. Woo hoo!
I am trying to find the contact for Wise Dan. Can you PM me on that info?
katmandu

Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Apollo wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Anyways, major kudos to the connections of Good Magic for making this race interesting.
Yes, although it is preposterous that it has reached this point, with the second best horse in the Derby trying to find any excuse to bypass the Preakness.

He's too good. I'm too scared to challenge him. I need to take a rest and find a soft spot in a few months.

In any other sport that type of attitude would be a parody, a disgrace. You'd be laughed out of the room and never respected again. Yet somehow in horse racing not only is that mindset standard fare but you've actually got fans who encourage it and applaud it.
If you're talking about Good Magic, that's some kind of son of strawman comment.
Starine

Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 pm

I read that Lone Sailor's trainer wants to try Justify again because the latter ran his final half in 0:53 and change.

But what does that say about the horses that finished behind him that day?
Spahny

Mon May 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Starine wrote:I read that Lone Sailor's trainer wants to try Justify again because the latter ran his final half in 0:53 and change.

But what does that say about the horses that finished behind him that day?
It says more about the track than any of the poor unfortunately animals trying to plow through it. Fast early, slow late usually spells closer. Not this year.

But now it looks like a wet Preakness too. The closer we get the wetter it looks. I think that's why Ruis changed his mind again about Bolt but that's a never ending drama there.
stark

Mon May 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Keith Feustle, who makes the morning line at Pimlico, said he intends to list Justify as the 3-5 favorite when posts are drawn Wednesday evening, with Good Magic next at 5-2. Both Watchmaker and Feustle said no other horse will be below 10-1.
stark

Mon May 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Part of the reason to run Good Magic in the Preakness is because Brown does not intend to run him in the 1 1/2-mile Belmont. If Good Magic passed the Preakness, he would likely not race again until the end of July in a race such as the Jim Dandy at Saratoga or the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park.

http://www.drf.com/news/gangs-not-all-h ... -preakness
Ballerina

Mon May 14, 2018 5:47 pm

stark wrote:Part of the reason to run Good Magic in the Preakness is because Brown does not intend to run him in the 1 1/2-mile Belmont. If Good Magic passed the Preakness, he would likely not race again until the end of July in a race such as the Jim Dandy at Saratoga or the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park.

http://www.drf.com/news/gangs-not-all-h ... -preakness
It doesn't matter. He won't beat Justify. In fact, I think GM will bounce
MySaladDays

Mon May 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Spahny wrote: But now it looks like a wet Preakness too. The closer we get the wetter it looks.
I capped for a wet track, and I think I can make a good tri or super out of it.

when track was coming up dry/fast, I was not going to bother betting it at all.
stark wrote:Keith Feustle, who makes the morning line at Pimlico, said he intends to list Justify as the 3-5 favorite when posts are drawn Wednesday evening, with Good Magic next at 5-2. Both Watchmaker and Feustle said no other horse will be below 10-1.
Even better!
Curtis

Mon May 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Ballerina wrote:
It doesn't matter. He won't beat Justify. In fact, I think GM will bounce
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think Good Magic will bounce? Will Justify bounce as well? Does someone else beat them both?
MySaladDays

Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Ballerina wrote: Thanks again. Exactly what I was looking for. We're on vacation in Lexington visiting horse farms and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. Going to see Gun Runner and Chrome on Thursday and Wise Dan on Friday. Woo hoo!
That sounds so wonderful!

I really need to plan something like this. ....would spring be better, or is Fall okay?
MySaladDays

Mon May 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Izvestia wrote: Really? You do?

He hasn’t won a race this year against his peers, and rather than race him in a confidence booster, they point him to a race against older, faster men to get a weight allowance and (probably) his head ripped off. I’m a fan of the horse, but I think this is very ambitious.
I do like him. I like HIM, but I also like his beginnings, his story, and I think the trainer is classy and has very good intentions in many ways. Not being part of a syndicate is good, too.
Yes, I know the others surpassed him as they turned 3. At least for "this" sliver of time. We don't know what that means in the next sliver of time though. I will have to see him/them as 4 or 5 year olds. To be honest, I have little to zero use for horses who are whisked off the breeding sheds before this, I do not support "momentary" racing.......that's for the breeders and owners, not for me as a bettor and fan.

Ruiz did a great job conditioniing the horse as a 2 year old. Tons of big name trainers could not have done any better. Heck, Curlin's conditioner was Helen Pitts, she never got the credit she deseved when she put all the bottom and learnign into him, then he was bought by jackson and run as a 3 year old. She did all the heavy lifting to "make Curlin into something" ...... She was a good fit for Curlin.

So yeah, like THAT.

Not taking anything away from bafferts and pletcher, but guys like Ruiz, they don't get sent the best breedings, top $$ horses, like 20+ at a time. What Ruiz did with what he got was seriously commendable.

Tim Ice was able to do it with Summer Bird.

Baffert, Pletcher, Brown, even Cox....they all have 200+ horses in barn.

I give credit where due....I'm not into the "what have you done for me lately" "you were #2 on my list and now you don't even rate 20th" kinda thing.....I mean, not sentimentally anyway. :)