GREYVITOS

Kennedy
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Curtis wrote: It’s not that he doesn’t fit it’s the timing that’s off. The Lexington made little sense in the scheme of things. I don’t remember how many points he has but the Lexington would have given him only 20 more had he won. At best he would have been on the bubble. He ran the way one would expect, show speed and then get tired. Now they’re doubling down in a tougher spot three weeks after a race he, most likely, wasn’t ready for. Don’t put a Preakness run by these soon to be Eclipse Award winning owners. I’m sure Saturday’s race will be deemed as just the prep he needs.
I'm willing to hold off chastisement until they do run him in the Preakness.

I don't spend any time near tracks these days so I don't see the horses in the flesh but I guess it's not actually clear to me that he wasn't ready for the Lexington. Or at least as ready as he might get. Are we thinking that the fact that he was 4th is proof that he wasn't ready?

He did have 8 timed workouts in a row. I'm not qualified to say how fit he was but trainers have gotten horses ready to race with 8 workouts on a regular cadence before.

I get that the Lexington was a tougher spot to come back than I would have chosen but now that he ran there, and ran okay, is it really a bad choice to run him back in a spot where he fits?
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Wed May 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Curtis wrote: It’s not that he doesn’t fit it’s the timing that’s off. The Lexington made little sense in the scheme of things. I don’t remember how many points he has but the Lexington would have given him only 20 more had he won. At best he would have been on the bubble. He ran the way one would expect, show speed and then get tired. Now they’re doubling down in a tougher spot three weeks after a race he, most likely, wasn’t ready for. Don’t put a Preakness run by these soon to be Eclipse Award winning owners. I’m sure Saturday’s race will be deemed as just the prep he needs.
I'm willing to hold off chastisement until they do run him in the Preakness.

I don't spend any time near tracks these days so I don't see the horses in the flesh but I guess it's not actually clear to me that he wasn't ready for the Lexington. Or at least as ready as he might get. Are we thinking that the fact that he was 4th is proof that he wasn't ready?

He did have 8 timed workouts in a row. I'm not qualified to say how fit he was but trainers have gotten horses ready to race with 8 workouts on a regular cadence before.

I get that the Lexington was a tougher spot to come back than I would have chosen but now that he ran there, and ran okay, is it really a bad choice to run him back in a spot where he fits?
They don't need to run him in the Preakness to be chastised, they're already earning that. Again it isn't that they ran him, it's where. Honestly, he probably shouldn't have run until early May. To get him ready for the Lexington, they had to start him earlier and train him harder because he wasn't being eased back into it. The Lexington wasn't their first choice the Arkansas Derby was but it sounds as if Kitchingman at least talked them down from that. In my opinion they rushed him into a race that served no purpose. Now three weeks after that, he's going into what is probably a tougher spot. There are many ways to screw up a 3yo even if you can't make the Derby. In for a penny, in for a pound I guess. I'm expecting to see any day now that Loooch Racing is buying into Greyvitos.
Horsebagger
Posts: 1924
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Curtis wrote: It’s not that he doesn’t fit it’s the timing that’s off. The Lexington made little sense in the scheme of things. I don’t remember how many points he has but the Lexington would have given him only 20 more had he won. At best he would have been on the bubble. He ran the way one would expect, show speed and then get tired. Now they’re doubling down in a tougher spot three weeks after a race he, most likely, wasn’t ready for. Don’t put a Preakness run by these soon to be Eclipse Award winning owners. I’m sure Saturday’s race will be deemed as just the prep he needs.
I'm willing to hold off chastisement until they do run him in the Preakness.

I don't spend any time near tracks these days so I don't see the horses in the flesh but I guess it's not actually clear to me that he wasn't ready for the Lexington. Or at least as ready as he might get. Are we thinking that the fact that he was 4th is proof that he wasn't ready?

He did have 8 timed workouts in a row. I'm not qualified to say how fit he was but trainers have gotten horses ready to race with 8 workouts on a regular cadence before.

I get that the Lexington was a tougher spot to come back than I would have chosen but now that he ran there, and ran okay, is it really a bad choice to run him back in a spot where he fits?

Hey, maybe he moves forward off being short in the Lexington and let's see him win the race. More black type. Yippee. Although he already has a G3 on the resume, it only helps the catalog page for me.

For them.......the horse is coming off surgery. Why rush him back for another G3 race when there is a G1 in two weeks for a huge purse that was supposedly already the back-up plan? Or are they effectively admitting they had their evaluation of their horse all wrong to begin with and he doesn't belong in the Classics? Or, as I suspect and have stated previously, they have their weekend in Louisville already booked, so might as well make the trip, and damn whats best for the animal.

Let's hope the horse holds together, because it's not like Churchill ever preps the track to be hard and fast like a runway on Derby Day. Hopefully he wins, because my prediction is he's not making it very much farther without being back to the infirmary. I find their management of the horse sad, but what are you going to do.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Horsebagger wrote:Let's hope the horse holds together, because it's not like Churchill ever preps the track to be hard and fast like a runway on Derby Day. Hopefully he wins, because my prediction is he's not making it very much farther without being back to the infirmary. I find their management of the horse sad, but what are you going to do.
For the past year or so racing has really left a bitter taste in my mouth at times. I went to Aqueduct on a random day off this year and remembered all the reasons I actually love it. There isn't much in life that is able to fascinate you as child that you still are able to be fascinated with as an adult. The fact I was reminded of this by Aqueduct might mean I'm clinically insane but I've been giving a lot of thought to aftercare, horses, and everything along those lines in general.

At what point are the tracks and corporations just enablers? We don't need a 20 horse Derby and we don't need to send horses to the gate just so CDI's pockets are better padded. I understand: shareholders and profitability. Then again, I never thought I'd see the day major retailers and internet companies are being proactive on the gun control front. I wonder at what point the powers that be in racing realize public perception is everything and the power they hold to influence that everything.

There are so many horses out there like this that don't get attention because people aren't following them. No public shaming. It'd be impossible to keep track of them all. It's sad. I think you "shaming" them on any level is a good thing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark
Posts: 3965
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat May 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Tempting @ 15/1, drifting up from the 6/1 ML with about 10 minutes to post?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9540
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm

He finished next-to-last, kind of looked like he was eased. :(
The Doctors Saint
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Sat May 05, 2018 11:53 pm

This horse has been to hell and back in his short life. I hope he hasn't been hurt again.
Roc525
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 am

Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 am

After reading the thread I completely understand what everyone was saying, but I cant say i didn't think this horse fit this race. Maybe my handicapping has just gotten worse, but i thought beforehand he had a chance.
Horsebagger
Posts: 1924
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 pm

I always find it helpful to take a look back and check in on horses that were topics of discussion for a time, and then the talk fell silent.

Any word on him?
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Equibase doesn't even give the option of looking for workouts. That can't be good. :-(
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2708
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Diver52 wrote:Equibase doesn't even give the option of looking for workouts. That can't be good. :-(
His last workout was April 7th.

After his last race, they asked his connections what was next and they said:

“We’ll go back to California and reassess,” Kitchingman said.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... tory.html#
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Flanders wrote:
Diver52 wrote:Equibase doesn't even give the option of looking for workouts. That can't be good. :-(
His last workout was April 7th.

After his last race, they asked his connections what was next and they said:

“We’ll go back to California and reassess,” Kitchingman said.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... tory.html#
The workout category not showing on Equibase simply means there weren't any works in the last 60 days, which of course is inherently concerning but doesn't signify a death. Why don't you try emailing Kitchingman and inquiring how Greyvitos is? He's still listed on the stable website, though I don't know how current that is.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 pm

No one was implying the horse died, just his career.
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Well, I admit that I had forgotten that Equibase only shows works from the last 60 days--or rather, I didn't realize that if there were no works within that time frame, the option to look at workouts just disappeared from the screen. So I WAS concerned for his well-being!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Post Reply