Belmont Stakes News & Notes - 2018

Re: Belmont Stakes News & Notes - 2018

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sun May 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:I don’t think it’s any secret that the SF in SF Bloodstock stands for Soros Fund. There's got to be a lot of wealth there to take on the likes of Darley and Coolmore in the bloodstock industry. I think the China Horse Club also had a share in Justify’s breeding rights, but I guess WinStar owns the controlling interest.

I honestly don't know how I would know this. I barely use social media and read all the publications, but outside of seeing the name SF Racing it isn't like there are names easily attached to it. Unless I am missing something entirely obvious.

I think a lot of people (not you, SC) forget that a lot of us here are on the way outside.

I agree that I had zero idea and I have been following racing since I was a little girl. Only so much info you can get in a non racing state though.
CoronadosQuest

Postby Somnambulist » Sun May 27, 2018 1:41 pm

A quick search notes it's mentioned in places, so I guess I missed it (NYT, CNN, etc.). I suppose having a low information diet lifestyle is wonderful for sanity but poor for knowledge expansion.

I did find a fascinating article circle 2008 about racing hedge funds. Can't say 17 year old me would have been terribly interested in it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby thinair » Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Somnambulist wrote:A quick search notes it's mentioned in places, so I guess I missed it (NYT, CNN, etc.). I suppose having a low information diet lifestyle is wonderful for sanity but poor for knowledge expansion.

I did find a fascinating article circle 2008 about racing hedge funds. Can't say 17 year old me would have been terribly interested in it.

I was going to say the Soros thing is not some inside info type thing at all. I actually figured it out because I was mildly curious who they were, and googled two names I saw associated with them, and one worked closely with Soros, so it made sense. Personally, I just thought it was interesting that he had any involvement in racing....plus, the fact that he apparently just wants the breeding side, and thus sells the racing side, which has contributed ( I suppose ) to the situation with Justify.

Personally, I think buying into a horse just for the racing part is sort of odd....but I guess in a way many of us do this every time we make a bet.
thinair

Postby Somnambulist » Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm

The problem with assuming is that sometimes it makes me an ass. :)

After reading a lot about Russia over the past year and Soros' involvement there I went on a crusade to discover just where his tentacles extend to. The answer is everywhere but I am disappointed I never realized prior to today it's my heart's passion as well.
Somnambulist

Postby MySaladDays » Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 pm

thinair wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:A quick search notes it's mentioned in places, so I guess I missed it (NYT, CNN, etc.). I suppose having a low information diet lifestyle is wonderful for sanity but poor for knowledge expansion.

I was going to say the Soros thing is not some inside info type thing at all. I actually figured it out because I was mildly curious who they were, and googled two names I saw associated with them, and one worked closely with Soros, so it made sense. Personally, I just thought it was interesting that he had any involvement in racing....plus, the fact that he apparently just wants the breeding side, and thus sells the racing side, which has contributed ( I suppose ) to the situation with Justify.

Personally, I think buying into a horse just for the racing part is sort of odd....but I guess in a way many of us do this every time we make a bet.

the sport of kings has become the sport of syndicates.
MySaladDays

Postby MySaladDays » Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm

so I just did a search here, hoping there was a thread I could join, but it appears there is no mention at all of Badua.
MySaladDays

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 am

thinair wrote:

I read about what's going on with the breeding and sales side (USA and International) way too much. That's when I first ran across SF Bloodstock and Racing a couple or few years ago...maybe when they bought My Conquestadory but maybe before then...which led me to look for info about the people involved, as well as Newgate Farm in Australia, and on and on down the rabbit hole of the Internet. Once I saw the connection with the Soros Fund, it all made more sense to me. Plus I follow Tom Ryan on Twitter.

Here's a few of the articles I saved if you want to see more.
June 2016 https://members.breederscup.com/doc%20repository/election/MemberCandidateBios.pdf
Nov 2016 https://www.racingandsports.com.au/en/international-breeding/australian-syndicate-steps-up-at-keeneland-story-384530
Can't remember the date of this one: http://www.newgate.com.au/Domains/www.newgate.com.au/CMSFiles/Docs/Inside%20Breeding%202015%20-%20Newgate.pdf
Sparrow Castle

Postby MySaladDays » Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:I read about what's going on with the breeding and sales side (USA and International) way too much.

:shrugs: racing is no different from any other part of industry/politics which is all run by hedge fund mangager types, marketers, sports owners, luxury vacation dn golf properties, investors, real estate developers, etc. It's all the same bunch. Just another investment /write off for "businessmen".

I'm a lot more upset about all the nice horses showing up in the kill pens lately with their racing plates still attached and their lips mutlilated to erase their tattoos. If this doesn't come to an end soon, I will probably stop following racing. I'm far from a PETA type but enough is enough even for someone who understands and participates in the sport. Some of the stuff I'm reading is nauseating to the highest degree, and isn't even bordering on torture, it IS torture.
MySaladDays

Postby Somnambulist » Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks, SC. I appreciate it :).
Somnambulist

Postby Spahny » Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 am

Yikes.

Horse Workout Notification
May 28, 2018

Bolt d'Oro (3-Year-Old Colt)