Belmont Stakes News & Notes - 2018

CoronadosQuest

Sun May 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:I don’t think it’s any secret that the SF in SF Bloodstock stands for Soros Fund. There's got to be a lot of wealth there to take on the likes of Darley and Coolmore in the bloodstock industry. I think the China Horse Club also had a share in Justify’s breeding rights, but I guess WinStar owns the controlling interest.
I honestly don't know how I would know this. I barely use social media and read all the publications, but outside of seeing the name SF Racing it isn't like there are names easily attached to it. Unless I am missing something entirely obvious.

I think a lot of people (not you, SC) forget that a lot of us here are on the way outside.
I agree that I had zero idea and I have been following racing since I was a little girl. Only so much info you can get in a non racing state though.
Somnambulist

Sun May 27, 2018 1:41 pm

A quick search notes it's mentioned in places, so I guess I missed it (NYT, CNN, etc.). I suppose having a low information diet lifestyle is wonderful for sanity but poor for knowledge expansion.

I did find a fascinating article circle 2008 about racing hedge funds. Can't say 17 year old me would have been terribly interested in it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
thinair

Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Somnambulist wrote:A quick search notes it's mentioned in places, so I guess I missed it (NYT, CNN, etc.). I suppose having a low information diet lifestyle is wonderful for sanity but poor for knowledge expansion.

I did find a fascinating article circle 2008 about racing hedge funds. Can't say 17 year old me would have been terribly interested in it.

I was going to say the Soros thing is not some inside info type thing at all. I actually figured it out because I was mildly curious who they were, and googled two names I saw associated with them, and one worked closely with Soros, so it made sense. Personally, I just thought it was interesting that he had any involvement in racing....plus, the fact that he apparently just wants the breeding side, and thus sells the racing side, which has contributed ( I suppose ) to the situation with Justify.

Personally, I think buying into a horse just for the racing part is sort of odd....but I guess in a way many of us do this every time we make a bet.
Somnambulist

Sun May 27, 2018 3:51 pm

The problem with assuming is that sometimes it makes me an ass. :)

After reading a lot about Russia over the past year and Soros' involvement there I went on a crusade to discover just where his tentacles extend to. The answer is everywhere but I am disappointed I never realized prior to today it's my heart's passion as well.
MySaladDays

Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 pm

thinair wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:A quick search notes it's mentioned in places, so I guess I missed it (NYT, CNN, etc.). I suppose having a low information diet lifestyle is wonderful for sanity but poor for knowledge expansion.

I was going to say the Soros thing is not some inside info type thing at all. I actually figured it out because I was mildly curious who they were, and googled two names I saw associated with them, and one worked closely with Soros, so it made sense. Personally, I just thought it was interesting that he had any involvement in racing....plus, the fact that he apparently just wants the breeding side, and thus sells the racing side, which has contributed ( I suppose ) to the situation with Justify.

Personally, I think buying into a horse just for the racing part is sort of odd....but I guess in a way many of us do this every time we make a bet.
the sport of kings has become the sport of syndicates.
MySaladDays

Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm

so I just did a search here, hoping there was a thread I could join, but it appears there is no mention at all of Badua.
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 am

thinair wrote:

I read about what's going on with the breeding and sales side (USA and International) way too much. That's when I first ran across SF Bloodstock and Racing a couple or few years ago...maybe when they bought My Conquestadory but maybe before then...which led me to look for info about the people involved, as well as Newgate Farm in Australia, and on and on down the rabbit hole of the Internet. Once I saw the connection with the Soros Fund, it all made more sense to me. Plus I follow Tom Ryan on Twitter.

Here's a few of the articles I saved if you want to see more.
June 2016 https://members.breederscup.com/doc%20r ... teBios.pdf
Nov 2016 https://www.racingandsports.com.au/en/i ... ory-384530
Can't remember the date of this one: http://www.newgate.com.au/Domains/www.n ... ewgate.pdf
MySaladDays

Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:I read about what's going on with the breeding and sales side (USA and International) way too much.
:shrugs: racing is no different from any other part of industry/politics which is all run by hedge fund mangager types, marketers, sports owners, luxury vacation dn golf properties, investors, real estate developers, etc. It's all the same bunch. Just another investment /write off for "businessmen".

I'm a lot more upset about all the nice horses showing up in the kill pens lately with their racing plates still attached and their lips mutlilated to erase their tattoos. If this doesn't come to an end soon, I will probably stop following racing. I'm far from a PETA type but enough is enough even for someone who understands and participates in the sport. Some of the stuff I'm reading is nauseating to the highest degree, and isn't even bordering on torture, it IS torture.
Somnambulist

Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks, SC. I appreciate it :).
Spahny

Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 am

Yikes.

Horse Workout Notification
May 28, 2018

Bolt d'Oro (3-Year-Old Colt)

Date: May 28, 2018
Track: KEENELAND
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 57:00 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Charlie

Mon May 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Quick work there, is it possible they are trying to get him to show more speed to be competitive in the Met Mile?
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 28, 2018 3:42 pm

It's more than possible; IMHO, it's probable. He's going to need to be sharp as hell to succeed in that one-turn mile.
Curtis

Mon May 28, 2018 4:16 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It's more than possible; IMHO, it's probable. He's going to need to be sharp as hell to succeed in that one-turn mile.
Who else is in?
CoronadosQuest

Mon May 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Is Army Mule going to the Met Mile? Oh nm I see he is out.
stark

Mon May 28, 2018 4:26 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:Is Army Mule going to the Met Mile?
Curtis wrote: Who else is in?
I have zero knowledge with regards to the accuracy of this list, stole it off another website!

Bee Jersey S. Asmussen Probable
Awesome Slew M. Casse Possible
Warrior's Club D. Lukas Probable
City Of Light M. McCarthy Probable
McCraken I. Wilkes Probable
Bolt d'Oro M. Ruis Probable
Mind Your Biscuits C. Summers Definite

https://www.horseracingnation.com/stake ... H_Met_Mile
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
katmandu

Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 pm

City of Light ran 3rd (Accelerate/Dr. Dorr/City of Light) in yesterday's Gold Cup at SA. They may be wishing today they took him to Belmont. . . . but they needed to ask the question.
Charlie

Mon May 28, 2018 7:56 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It's more than possible; IMHO, it's probable. He's going to need to be sharp as hell to succeed in that one-turn mile.
This is true!

I think this guy has a lot of talent but he will definitely need the extra help in this race. Even it comes up light this is a tough spot for him.
Flanders

Tue May 29, 2018 6:33 am

Stakes Nominations for the Met Mile:
American Anthem
Awesome Slew
Backsideofthemoon
Backyard Heaven
Bee Jersey
Behavioral Bliss
Bolt d'Oro
City of Light
Dabster
Discreet Lover
Diversify
Good Samaritan
Kanthaka
Limousine Liberal
McCraken
Mind Your Biscuits
One Liner
Patch
Ransom The Moon
Tapwrit
Warrior's Club
Whitmore
Somnambulist

Tue May 29, 2018 10:41 am

Obligatory whine about the Metropolitan-sized hole in my heart about that race not being run on Memorial Day. I suppose all racing fans are somewhat traditionalist at heart. However, what a stellar day of racing.

Where is Yoshiba supposed to go next?