Belmont Stakes News & Notes - 2018

Re: Belmont Stakes News & Notes - 2018

Postby Curtis » Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Katewerk wrote:
luvsgeldings wrote: [snip]... they still have two weeks - shoot, by race time, we could be down to 4 or 5 in the field. (being sarcastic of course)

Like the 5 horse field in the 1973 Belmont. What a joke that was.

I dunno, I’m thinkin’ the real money is investing in cheese to go with all the whine.
Curtis

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm

I heard one of the TVG guys talking about the long-range weather forecast for the Belmont...and at this point there's a 30% chance of rain.
If the third leg of the Triple Crown is also hit by rain, I'm definitely gonna be on the Whine Wagon. :(
:P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby thinair » Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I heard one of the TVG guys talking about the long-range weather forecast for the Belmont...and at this point there's a 30% chance of rain.
If the third leg of the Triple Crown is also hit by rain, I'm definitely gonna be on the Whine Wagon. :(
:P

Not as much as I will:-)
thinair

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah, I won't have as much to gripe about compared to the folks who are actually there (like you?) and having to dodge falling water.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby thinair » Sat May 26, 2018 9:55 pm

It seems to me, some of the same people that all up in arms over Audible ( who I think would need heats to get 1.5 miles ) not running in the Belmont were the same people that were upset when Frosted became the first horse to actually take American Pharoah out of his comfort zone ( you know....the closest Frosted ever came to beating American Pharoah ).

People keep talking about these conglomerations of owners ( it's actually not really true as all that is really going on is that SF Racing, by the way I'm surprised inquiring minds don't seem interested in who is the money behind them, is selling the racing rights to people as they are only interested in breeding rights ) but it's Winstar, not Sol, or Jack Wolf, or whomever, as basically they are calling the shots ( or Coolmore…..but you know what I mean ). Nobody brings up Coaltown when they mention Citation. What sane owner would cost his horse a TC victory with another one of his runners? I don't believe anyone here would. I would certainly hope not.
thinair

Postby thinair » Sat May 26, 2018 9:56 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Yeah, I won't have as much to gripe about compared to the folks who are actually there (like you?) and having to dodge falling water.

I'm protected from rain:-)

Maggie, on the other hand.....but she's much tougher than me.
thinair

Postby sweettalk » Sat May 26, 2018 10:46 pm

funny you mention frosted - everyone talks abt frosted being the reason AP lost to keen ice, "exposed his weakness" blahblah, but he did the same in the belmont and failed to produce a losing effort from AP. reason #837 why i don't think frosted had as much to do with that 2nd place as he gets credit for.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby thinair » Sat May 26, 2018 11:16 pm

sweettalk wrote:funny you mention frosted - everyone talks abt frosted being the reason AP lost to keen ice, "exposed his weakness" blahblah, but he did the same in the belmont and failed to produce a losing effort from AP. reason #837 why i don't think frosted had as much to do with that 2nd place as he gets credit for.

He hardly "did the same in the Belmont" as in the Travers. In the Belmont, he kindly ceded the lead to American Pharoah and allowed him to gallop along. Sort of like how all legit challengers, especially those with speed, didn't contest the Classic.
thinair

Postby stark » Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm

thinair wrote:It seems to me, some of the same people that all up in arms over Audible ( who I think would need heats to get 1.5 miles ) not running in the Belmont were the same people that were upset when Frosted became the first horse to actually take American Pharoah out of his comfort zone ( you know....the closest Frosted ever came to beating American Pharoah ).

People keep talking about these conglomerations of owners ( it's actually not really true as all that is really going on is that SF Racing, by the way I'm surprised inquiring minds don't seem interested in who is the money behind them, is selling the racing rights to people as they are only interested in breeding rights ) but it's Winstar, not Sol, or Jack Wolf, or whomever, as basically they are calling the shots ( or Coolmore…..but you know what I mean ). Nobody brings up Coaltown when they mention Citation. What sane owner would cost his horse a TC victory with another one of his runners? I don't believe anyone here would. I would certainly hope not.

Good post, thanks for sharing.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby luvsgeldings » Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 pm

ahhhh katewerk, you mention that '73 Belmont and that small field - so true - but Big Red could have faced 30 and it would not have mattered - not with that final time he put up - he was amazing - I could be wrong, but he still holds the fastest times in both the Derby and Belmont, right? and I think he had the Preakness too, except for some timing snafu - so he didn't get credit for that one, which is a shame. Secretariat was just too much. Sham was damn good. Real damn good. but Secretariat was something else entirely.

perhaps Justify will put up a Secretariat type performance in the Belmont. he could put on a real show in the final leg of the triple crown. so that in the end, it wouldn't have mattered who was or was not entered to run against him.
luvsgeldings

PreviousNext

Return to Racing