Mendelssohn

User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

barbaro111 wrote:
Spahny wrote:It was the Pletcher nut job Magnum Moon that wasn't ready for prime time. Who's fault is that?

I so agree with that and not many, well, not any, except you - have the guts to say it; that horse did not belong in the Derby: Pletcher knew
he was a drifter ( though he tried to excuse it before the Derby). he was a danger to himself and others.
Magnum Moon most certainly deserved to be in the Derby. He won one of the biggest preps with authority as the favorite. The draw did him no favors and from what I had noted from his races, his drifting was pretty much confined to the stretch and very well could be a product of lack of focus. Green as grass, I’ll buy that, but he belonged.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue May 08, 2018 12:46 pm

stark wrote:With regards to the Breeders Cup this year where 11 will be entering the starting gate, making some normal assumptions that everybody progresses throughout the year, Justify will be there as will some older horses, what do you suppose you'll do with Mendelssohn?

A) Cheering him on for an emotional victory.
B) Betting against him to hit the board.
C) Including him underneath on tri's and supers.
D) Betting with both fists on the win end if he's 6/1 or higher.

Ouigaboard
Last year at this time, I had Arrogate as 1-infinity for the BCC. Call me on Columbus Day.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4267
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue May 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Side note if any of you are ever in Montreal and would like to hang out for a drink, a coffee or eats, feel free to send me a note!

regarding magnum moon... one could make a case that if the trainer knew how green he was, he shouldn't have run him, but there were several other very green horses including the winner, in the race any of them could've behaved like this, Magnum Moon just happened to be the one. But as we progress towards an era where there are more and more green horses in the Derby, perhaps certain things about the way the race is conducted, should be re-evaluated.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 am

Treve wrote:But as we progress towards an era where there are more and more green horses in the Derby, perhaps certain things about the way the race is conducted, should be re-evaluated.
I agree. I don't think we've seen a derby where that much rain was falling on the track, it was dangerous, and I think AOBs comment about it was somewhat true. What I saw on Sat was basically a free for all.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9699
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 pm

The track was a mess; Churchill could have qualified for FEMA assistance. :P
I think everyone is lucky that all the horses came out of this year's Demolition Derby with little more than scrapes, cuts, bruises, abraded eyes and mud-stuffed nostrils.
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Wed May 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Churchill is also doing its marquee race no favors by continually pushing the post time back. On a rainy day like that, an extra hour or half hour just makes the track progressively worse. I think it's amazing the race was as clean as it was, especially given the relative inexperience of the field and the fact that the lights were on. The trainers as a whole deserve a lot of credit for it.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Tessablue wrote:Churchill is also doing its marquee race no favors by continually pushing the post time back.
AGREED.

40 minutes in between posts is just not necessary. All the people in my life are non-racing people and all of them say the time in between races kills whatever interest they have in it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark
Posts: 4011
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Wed May 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Tessablue wrote:Churchill is also doing its marquee race no favors by continually pushing the post time back. On a rainy day like that, an extra hour or half hour just makes the track progressively worse.
And if it would have poured overnight into the early morning ending at first post on a track that is famous for "drying out quickly" wouldn't the extra hour have been of benefit to all concerned?

Would you prefer that TV contracts and post times were adjusted during the day of the event?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9699
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm

O'Brien will be bringing Mendelssohn back to the US for a dirt prep before the BC Classic.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... contender/
He doesn't say which race they're targeting but, since he mentioned Saratoga, would the Travers be about two months out?
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4267
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 3:46 pm

I remember it being mentioned that he might even get two dirt races in the U.S. this Summer.
Travers could be a possibility but Europeans seem to have less qualms about running 3yos against older horses and it's not like our current route handicap division is teeming with Gun Runners, Arrogates or California Chromes. There are some good, talented and honest horses in the division but no one I can think of as being monstrously dominant, so I wonder if the Whitney and/or the Woodward would be on the table?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 pm

Moon absolutely belonged in the Derby. I mean, he did earn his berth.

HOwever, bolting and drifting are not at all the same problem. Not at all. He does both, although it may be related to the same REASON in the horse's head, they are actually very different.

Pletcher did a lousy job there. I really wish Moon had a differernt conditioner, but he may just be a late developer and/or have some bad habits that there wasn't time to fix.

I hold out hope for him but I think pletcher didn't teach him right
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Mon May 14, 2018 10:19 pm

barbaro111 wrote:
I wish i could move to Canada-- i despise living in a country in which Trump is president: he is an embarassment to the United States.
Since you want to drag politics into it, I, too, wish you'd move to Canada. :-)
User avatar
Private Thoughts
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Kentucky

Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 pm

So tired of people ragging on Trump. Even in racing forums. Unemployment is at record lows but lets continue to b*tch about the man.

Our family's life has improved 100% with him as president. EVERYONE is working at great paying jobs. Something that was not happening under Obummer. My son went from making $7.50/hour to $14.60/hour. He is doing what he said for the most part and the sore losers need to get a life. If moving to Canada is what makes your life complete, by all means, you are free to do so.

So go Trump and go Mendelssohn. :D
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:So tired of people ragging on Trump. Even in racing forums. Unemployment is at record lows but lets continue to b*tch about the man.

Our family's life has improved 100% with him as president. EVERYONE is working at great paying jobs. Something that was not happening under Obummer. My son went from making $7.50/hour to $14.60/hour. He is doing what he said for the most part and the sore losers need to get a life. If moving to Canada is what makes your life complete, by all means, you are free to do so.

So go Trump and go Mendelssohn. :D
Image
User avatar
Katewerk
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
Private Thoughts wrote:So tired of people ragging on Trump. Even in racing forums. Unemployment is at record lows but lets continue to b*tch about the man.

Our family's life has improved 100% with him as president. EVERYONE is working at great paying jobs. Something that was not happening under Obummer. My son went from making $7.50/hour to $14.60/hour. He is doing what he said for the most part and the sore losers need to get a life. If moving to Canada is what makes your life complete, by all means, you are free to do so.

So go Trump and go Mendelssohn. :D
Image
We're watching our energy industry walk away due to regulation and political roadblocks, with the winking approval of our Prime Minister and his handlers. A President/Prime Minister may not be able to move economies forward, bu they can sure as hell kill them dead.
katmandu
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Tue May 15, 2018 1:03 am

I think we can agree this is sublime and much more on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67o86CS5uo
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1406
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 am

katmandu wrote:I think we can agree this is sublime and much more on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67o86CS5uo
Thank you for providing a change of subject. It was lovely.
FlyToTheStars
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am

Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 am

I would think the Travers Stakes is in his radar. I wonder if O'Brien is only aiming for one race prior the breeders cup then send him back home then come back to run in the Classic? I do not think that is do-able since he would be extremely lightly raced for this year. Are they considering a 4 year old season or it is the breeding shed?
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4267
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue May 15, 2018 11:46 am

FlyToTheStars wrote:I would think the Travers Stakes is in his radar. I wonder if O'Brien is only aiming for one race prior the breeders cup then send him back home then come back to run in the Classic? I do not think that is do-able since he would be extremely lightly raced for this year. Are they considering a 4 year old season or it is the breeding shed?
He mentioned two, sooner after the Derby, initially, unless they plan to run him on grass a bit in Europe to keep him in racing shape? But I'm not sure how beneficial that would be to him.

Coolmore hasn't announced anything for him, but since they own him entirely it doesn't seem to be rare for them to run their future studs as older males for at least one season. I guess that will largely depend on his performances this year and what he does or doesn't win.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
stark
Posts: 4011
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Treve wrote: He mentioned two, sooner after the Derby, initially, unless they plan to run him on grass a bit in Europe to keep him in racing shape? But I'm not sure how beneficial that would be to him.

Coolmore hasn't announced anything for him, but since they own him entirely it doesn't seem to be rare for them to run their future studs as older males for at least one season. I guess that will largely depend on his performances this year and what he does or doesn't win.

Wouldn't a return trip to Dubai be a more logical goal than the BreedersCupChurchillClassic?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply