Mendelssohn

katmandu
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sun May 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Turul wrote:
katmandu wrote:
Turul wrote:On the other hand there is nothing new in what he said. It has been known for decades, as others pointed out.
AOB pointed it out too. And then he qualified it.
Yes, I know, as I alluded to it and gave him credit. For qualifying it? Not sure what that means in context
Anything else?
Yes, your post gives me cognitive dissonance in the context of this subthread. :D
But that's OK, it's the internet.
Cheers.
Last edited by katmandu on Sun May 06, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katmandu
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sun May 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I guess he was also recently reading Hunter S Thompson
Fear and loathing at this point, too.
stark
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun May 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Northport wrote: I'm sure he will win a Derby in his lifetime.
That's a pretty bold prediction, guessing you could get pretty good odds in Vegas on that happening.

Others lined up with lower morning line odds to break their maiden include but are not limited to the following:

Steve Asmussen
Bill Mott
Dale Romans
Chad Brown
Tom Amoss
Keith Desormeaux
Kieran McLaughlin
Jerry Hollendorfer
Brad Cox
Mike Maker
Peter Miller

Throw in a couple BBs and TAPs along the way and it could be tough sledding coming across the pond for many years to come.

Or, just maybe Churchill Downs in their infinite wisdom will switch the race to turf, in which case he'll be odds-on.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 pm

With the quality of stock his owners buy and breed i don't think it's unconcievable.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 8:52 pm

It's lousy racing luck that the first year O'Brien has brought a colt who had both the breeding and the talent on dirt was for the wettest, nastiest Derby in history. :(
That colt could have gone through all his prep right here and still would have lost every chance with what happened to him at the start.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Sun May 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Somnambulist wrote:With the quality of stock his owners buy and breed i don't think it's unconcievable.
Exactly. Along with the fact that the man is 48 and he's won 300 Group/Grade 1 races. With those stats alone I would wager that he will win a Derby. 2 years younger than TAP, 16 younger than Mott, 4 younger than Assmussen, 3 younger than Romans, 8 younger than Amoss, etc. Just because he's been around for a while it is easy to forget that he is has achieved so much and yet is younger than almost everyone you listed. He has quite a while and an infinite amount of firepower left with Coolmore to get another couple good horses in the gate for the Derby.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chad Brown, McLaughlin, etc. win Derbies too. Brown has a whole career ahead of him, and, like O'Brien, McLaughlin has another juggernaut supporting him.

If he never wins, feel free to log on in 30-40 years to tell me "told ya so" :lol:
weeeeeeeee
stark
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun May 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Just curious.....where do you think AOB would be in the annual trainer standings if he moved to the USA?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 pm

With Coolmore supporting him? 4th. With Coolmore not supporting him? 5th.
weeeeeeeee
stark
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun May 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Northport wrote:With Coolmore supporting him? 4th. With Coolmore not supporting him? 5th.
Thanks, I was thinking without the endless supply chain from Coolmore, acquiring new owners, going to the sales, just like our regular guys here do, he'd be a top ten guy for sure, would certainly be interesting to watch.

Otherwise, his records over there are kinda like playing poker with a magician who insists on holding the deck of cards.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Apollo
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Mendelssohn did look nervous. As soon as I saw him I wanted to cancel my bet. But I was feeling good that I had ignored him in the matchups.

European racing is incomparably boring with a cotillion until a few hundred meters out and then a dash to the wire. I can't believe the United States is stupid enough to acknowledge that type of racing with several scattered on each card.

Those horses should run for crumbs. Laughter at the pathetic sight of them.

At least force them to go around 3 or 4 times to justify the inclusion.

BTW, Mendelssohn warranted every bit of that finishing position. I watched the replay late last night. Ryan Moore did not pull up on Mendelssohn until it was only a debate between last or next to last. Let's not pretend it was mid pack opportunity with full effort.
Spahny
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Apollo wrote:Mendelssohn did look nervous. As soon as I saw him I wanted to cancel my bet. But I was feeling good that I had ignored him in the matchups.

European racing is incomparably boring with a cotillion until a few hundred meters out and then a dash to the wire. I can't believe the United States is stupid enough to acknowledge that type of racing with several scattered on each card.

Those horses should run for crumbs. Laughter at the pathetic sight of them.

At least force them to go around 3 or 4 times to justify the inclusion.

BTW, Mendelssohn warranted every bit of that finishing position. I watched the replay late last night. Ryan Moore did not pull up on Mendelssohn until it was only a debate between last or next to last. Let's not pretend it was mid pack opportunity with full effort.
In a room full of pompous windbags sir you still manage to distinguish yourself. Well done. Nice to meet a man who is always right in his own stories.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 10:41 pm

European racing is incomparably boring with a cotillion until a few hundred meters out and then a dash to the wire. I can't believe the United States is stupid enough to acknowledge that type of racing with several scattered on each card.
Those horses should run for crumbs. Laughter at the pathetic sight of them.


Riiiiggghhhttt. Because the rest of the world (you know, where everyone races on grass) knows NOTHING about horse racing. :roll:
Folks like you make America Grate On the Nerves.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 pm

So... much... disdain....

I like all racing, but I personally prefer the hold up then run style of European Racing... it's kind of similar to the deep closer finishes of Japanese racing and the boilovers of Australian racing. I like horses to be running their races when they cross the finish line, not using most of their petrol fighting for a good position in the first 1/4 mile.

It's just a preference, though, and I wouldn't say that American horses should be running for crumbs over thumbtacks. It's still pretty darn fun to watch.
weeeeeeeee
stark
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun May 06, 2018 10:57 pm

When in Rome.....
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2231
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 11:02 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:make America Grate On the Nerves
:::spittake:::

:shock:
:mrgreen:
:lol:
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Apollo wrote: BTW, Mendelssohn warranted every bit of that finishing position. I watched the replay late last night. Ryan Moore did not pull up on Mendelssohn until it was only a debate between last or next to last. Let's not pretend it was mid pack opportunity with full effort.
According to both AOB's statement and the replay, it happened way earlier. Mendelssohn starting to back up badly that was Ryan.
I think Ryan Moore just figured it wasn't worth it if they weren't going to win it because Coolmore/AOB unlike many Americans aren't obsessed with perfect records or hitting the board at all costs. It's a bit all or nothing with them sometimes.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 11:54 pm

But Treve, their actions were motivated by the choice to protect the horse. I'm not sure that the welfare of the horse is a priority for Mr. Apollo. :P
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Mon May 07, 2018 12:59 am

Northport wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:With the quality of stock his owners buy and breed i don't think it's unconcievable.
Exactly. Along with the fact that the man is 48 and he's won 300 Group/Grade 1 races. With those stats alone I would wager that he will win a Derby. 2 years younger than TAP, 16 younger than Mott, 4 younger than Assmussen, 3 younger than Romans, 8 younger than Amoss, etc. Just because he's been around for a while it is easy to forget that he is has achieved so much and yet is younger than almost everyone you listed. He has quite a while and an infinite amount of firepower left with Coolmore to get another couple good horses in the gate for the Derby.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chad Brown, McLaughlin, etc. win Derbies too. Brown has a whole career ahead of him, and, like O'Brien, McLaughlin has another juggernaut supporting him.

If he never wins, feel free to log on in 30-40 years to tell me "told ya so" :lol:
How old is he in relation to Chip Woolley?
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 07, 2018 1:06 am

According to Lord Google Chip is 54
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Mon May 07, 2018 4:59 am

If we hold them all to the same standard, there were 16 AMERICAN dirt horse trainers w/horses in this race, who also didn't finish ITM and their horses didn't get body slammed, so why is AOB under any pressure to "explain" or "admit" to anything doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.
Post Reply