Mendelssohn

Re: Mendelssohn

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 pm

I'm pretty taken by this guy too. This is a nice composite of all three famous Leslie's Lady kids running side-by-side. (No edit feature on twitter and he knows he misspelled Beholder.)

Alex Evers @A_Evers
How about this for a #NationalSiblingsDay... the big 3 out of Leslies Lady, Mendelssohn, Behonlder, and Into Mischief. Its wild that ive photographed all three!!!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Izvestia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 am

That’s a pretty fun photo!!!
Izvestia

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 am

I've had my eye on this colt since his first race and I think in Dubai he found his best surface. He's been a good racehorse on grass and synth, but we may have seen a whole 'nother beast in the UAE Derby. 8-)
For anyone listing his need to ship from Ireland as a reason to doubt his chances, remember that this colt shipped in to Del Mar and won the BC Juvy Turf. In March, he shipped to Dubai and won by 18 1/2 lengths on his first race over dirt.
IMHO, shipping could be a total non-factor for him.
Re: the photo. A cute idea, but the graphic artist in me quibbles with the wonky proportions between the three horses.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Treve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:32 am

Thanks for posting that photo! I saw it was reposted by Spendthrift on their instagram, but it's nice to see a full sized version!

I also definitely don't think shipping is that much of a factor, I think that tends to be overblown in this day and age when colts ship regularly all over the country (and Euros ship all over the world). I think AOB knows what he is doing and if he thought shipping could be a detriment, then he'd ship early.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Big Ten » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 pm

107 Beyer
106 Beyer

Justify vs Mendelssohn

UAE Derby preps don't produce Kentucky Derby while SA Derby produced one in 2012 and 2014 in this decade. Then again, we never had a UAE Derby winner who won by 18+ lengths and breaking the track record by over a second.

This might be the only horse that Team Baffert should fear the most. The rest are running for 3rd place if Justify and Mendelssohn run their races. I'm only going with Team Baffert because he has won the Ky Derby four times before. And just plain and simple intuition on Justify.

Last time Baffert had a horse as good as Justify, the horse won the Triple Crown. Baffert actually finished 1st and 3rd in the 2015 Kentucky Derby so Justify could probably do no worse than Dortmund if he fires. Plus, Breeders' Cup is being held at Churchill. He should have Justify primed.

I'm still NOT aware of Mendelssohn's competition in the UAE or if he simply freaked like Bellamy Road did in the 2005 Wood. Justify beat a highly touted, Bolt d'Oro, while running green. Both horses still have mystery boxes like every Derby starter does.

These are the only two horses I see winning the Kentucky Derby. Not going all over the place like I did last year. Keep it simple. One pick. One bet. One winner. It's Justify being the one for me.
Rock Hard Ten. Zenyatta. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. California Chrome. American Pharoah. Seattle Slew. Secretariat. Affirmed.
Big Ten

Postby Treve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm

He beat the track record by by over 2 seconds actually. 2.57 seconds, to be exact.

I don't think he beat the world's biggest KY Derby favourites, but it was actually a pretty well regarded UAE Derby field. It's not like he beat up on a bunch of claimers. Rayya had won the Group III UAE Oaks by 3 3/4 lengths on March 1. Reride had won the Mine That Bird Derby at Sunland Park by 2 1/2 lengths on Feb. 25. Gold Town had been two for two on the dirt in Dubai this year, winning by 4 1/4 lengths on Jan. 25 and 10 1/2 lengths on Feb. 15.

And he did all that while running for the first time on dirt.

Also someone pointed out to me that his opening 1/4 of 25 seconds is actually faster than it looks since it's calculated from the standing start, there is no run up, unlike the US, so one can shave off about a second and a half (or so I'm told, words not mine).
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby stark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Treve wrote:He beat the track record by by over 2 seconds actually. 2.57 seconds, to be exact.

Any ballpark idea of how many races that's actually been since the poly was replaced?

thanks
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Treve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:25 pm

stark wrote:
Treve wrote:He beat the track record by by over 2 seconds actually. 2.57 seconds, to be exact.

Any ballpark idea of how many races that's actually been since the poly was replaced?

thanks

The previous record was held on dirt by last year's Thunder Snow (1:57.79) the UAE Derby had been run at 1 3/16 miles at Meydan Racecourse for seven straight years through 2017, the first four of those on synthetic footing, the last three on the dirt. Thunder Snow’s final time was faster than all seven of those UAE Derbies.
So Mendelssohn's race was the 5th on Dirt since the switchback.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby stark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks, do they run at that distance other times of the year or just on the big day?

I guess I'm not convinced yet that it's comparable to American dirt. Looks like a man made product to me? Any conversation about it being sandy or clay based, does anybody compare it to any North American track?

https://twitter.com/TheMichelleYu/statu ... 3469151232

thanks.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Treve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Not sure that makes a difference given the surface in the US varies from track to track? I feel like Belmont in particular (big sandy) and Churchill often get cited as weird, I've seen Oaklawn described like that too. Saratoga is said to be deep and tiring...
Not sure there's any one "american dirt".

But Baffert described it as soft and sandy:
Baffert, who is seeking a fourth win in the $US 10million event with Evens favourite West Coast and perennial World Cup participant Mubtaahij, was quoted as saying by the Dubai Racing Club’s media team: “They fluffed up the track and it has a cut in it and they both went over it great. West Coast likes this kind of track, a soft, sandy track.”
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

PreviousNext

Return to Racing